Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #16,501 of 24,687
  Well, a joke as usual for the last few years. But Interstellar does not deserve a nomination for best motion picture - it was extremely mediocre - not as bad as Gravity last year but still quite average. Nominating it would be like nominating something like Sunshine. I'm more surprised that Still Alice wasn't nominated for best picture and why the hell is American Sniper nominated?
Still haven't watched Birdman but I personally am not mighty impressed with any of the movies this year - I will be rooting for J.K. Simmons though coz he was great in Whiplash and the same goes for Julianne Moore in Still Alice.

Hmm, I actually thought it was one of the best in the last 10 or so years. No kidding and I hated "Inception" and "The Dark Knight" was boring to me. I'd rank it up there with movies like "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Thin Red Line".
I even bought the script which is something i'd almost never do. When I watch the movie I wouldn't charge a thing other than fix that lousy sound mix (that screws up dialogue). I always felt it was a movie people would either love or hate.

Haven't seen "American Sniper" but maybe tonight I'll see it.

FWIW The Grand Budapest Hotel is the best movie from last year I've seen so far. Not a huge fan of Wes Anderson in general, but everything really clicked with that one. Probably going to see Birdman over the weekend.

I loved "Moonrise Kingdom" and was hoping Budapest Hotel would be as good. Not sure how my opinion of the two is so different. I guess I found the characters in Budapest Hotel too dull to make it interesting enough to watch. I think it was one of my least favorites of last year. Have to admit Wes Anderson's style isn't for me. His characters need major work.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #16,502 of 24,687

Hmm, I actually thought it was one of the best in the last 10 or so years. No kidding and I hated "Inception" and "The Dark Knight" was boring to me. I'd rank it up there with movies like "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Thin Red Line".
I even bought the script which is something i'd almost never do. When I watch the movie I wouldn't charge a thing other than fix that lousy sound mix (that screws up dialogue). I always felt it was a movie people would either love or hate.

Haven't seen "American Sniper" but maybe tonight I'll see it.

Seriously? As I said before I'm one of the biggest Christopher Nolan since Memento and Interstellar is a far cry from his best. And yeah Inception was overhyped and mediocre too  - Batman Begins was good though and it kinda set that serious and darker tone for superheroes that continued with the Marvel Movies and the new Superman.[size=12.8000001907349px]The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were trying too hard to be philosophical and deep[/size]. Not to mention that Interstellar and Jonathan Nolan writing the script for it was announced like 10 years ago and I was extra hyped for it. There's just absolutely nothing extraordinary about it - neither the story, nor the acting, to make it rank that high and among the best in the history of cinema - no way. Event Horizon is a better sci-fi movie than that and the same probably goes for Lost in Space LOL

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #16,503 of 24,687
Interstellar was great as entertainment but it's not a film for academics I think. From the list of 8 movies I only watched one film The Grand Budapest Hotel which left me indifferent.

Russian film Leviathan is currently criticized in Russian media which call it russophobic. The premiere is going to be in February but it was recently leaked on torrents with English subtitles. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #16,504 of 24,687
  Well, a joke as usual for the last few years. But Interstellar does not deserve a nomination for best motion picture - it was extremely mediocre - not as bad as Gravity last year but still quite average. Nominating it would be like nominating something like Sunshine. I'm more surprised that Still Alice wasn't nominated for best picture and why the hell is American Sniper nominated?
Still haven't watched Birdman but I personally am not mighty impressed with any of the movies this year - I will be rooting for J.K. Simmons though coz he was great in Whiplash and the same goes for Julianne Moore in Still Alice.

Two Words Clint Eastwood. He is an almost unstoppable lobbying force much like Michael Douglas was in getting his wife nominated for Chicago a way back when. The fact Eastwood is not up for best director tells you how much he must have pushed for the film.

Two more words. Hero worship. After the overwhelming slough of films against the Iraq war this one manages to take no stance whatsoever other than it made a rodeo redneck into a hero. Thats the kind of crap the academy eats up like popcorn.

I watch far more "Foreign" films than American these days so the Academy Awards is not a night I really care about. In the last decade it really has been little more than an indicator of who is going to be appearing in way too many films in the following year.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #16,505 of 24,687
Well at least they nominated The Tale of Princess Kaguya...
Wait I know who's going to win for best animation. It must be something Disney right??? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya: 10/10

This is pathetically... goo... no no no... how can I describe it... I'm speechless... Everything is just... speechless... This is perfect... Beautiful... Emotional... Creative...

This definetly deserves an Oscar. Please.

AND WHY THE HELL LEGO MOVIE IS NOT NOMINATED?????????????????????????????????

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #16,507 of 24,687
Woman In Black 7/10

Watched this with two friends and we jumped throughout what I would say is one of the scariest movies ever.

Set in past days, a lawyer finds himself caught between the spirit of a vengeful woman who wants revenge for her son who was taken from her when she was alive :eek:

Very scary but very good :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #16,510 of 24,687
I watched The Babadook, and it was full of jump scares. 

Also, language, young padawan.

I actually saw the trailer of The Babadook and nearly died, it looks so creepy :eek: but probably end up watching it with the safety with friends as jump scare movies are more their thing than mine.

Oblivion 5.5/10

Tom Cruise plays a guy looking after battle torn earth after a war with aliens that humans won but now live on a moon orbiting Saturn as Earth was ruined.

Pretty good I guess but quite confusing plot I had difficulty understanding fully at times but if sci-Fi is your thing then your mileage may vary so to speak.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #16,511 of 24,687
Oblivion 5.5/10

Tom Cruise plays a guy looking after battle torn earth after a war with aliens that humans won but now live on a moon orbiting Saturn as Earth was ruined.

Pretty good I guess but quite confusing plot I had difficulty understanding fully at times but if sci-Fi is your thing then your mileage may vary so to speak.

I loved Oblivion. It's not quite as good as Edge of Tomorrow, but it was at least a 7.5 or 8/10 for me.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #16,513 of 24,687
Whiplash - 10/10! Especially for all the Jazz lovers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582802/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back