Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #16,518 of 24,676
Whiplash (2013): 9/10
It gets a bit over-the-top in a few spots, but this is a real stunner of a film--intense and frequently beautiful, graced with two powerhouse performances and marvelous editing. Honestly worth it just to see J.K. Simmons go the full R. Lee Ermey, but this film ultimately offers deeper pleasures that go far beyond even that--as an exploration of the connections between art (or the objectification of it, at any rate), madness, and pain, this is top-notch, edge-of-your seat viewing.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #16,519 of 24,676
Foxcatcher - not sure on rating yet. Maybe a 9.5/10?

Went into this not knowing much about it. Almost skipped it because of my brain trying to tell me not to see it or that it would not be something i'd like. I told myself i'd walk out if I hated it. It's not a popcorn flick and not what I'd call entertainment, but pretty amazing movie overall. Pretty nerve raking because I knew something bad might happen. It didn't..or wait, maybe it did. Not saying!

The movie isn't really a downer or depressing at all. It's tone just isn't cheery really.
It's pretty slow actually, but the acting is very good. Tonight Steve Carrell's character is going to be stuck in my brain and will probably give me nightmares!

American Sniper - 9/10

Rated this earlier but didn't have time to add comments. The first half hour was very dull and just an overview of his life before the military. Was it necessary? Probably. After watching the movie I picked up the book and managed to read 35% of it today so far. There is a lot of stuff they left out of the movie, but the movie itself seems accurate. In the movie they show no scenes of him in the military before he was a sniper (and after training). Might have been interesting to see, but would have felt out of place in the movie.

I noticed in many reviews they seemed to have wanted the movie to have some political messages etc and how the Iraq war was a mistake. Blah blah blah. Well, they have to remember that this was based off the book. He fought for his country and felt it was worth it. Not much else to it. The movie is pretty black and white. I don't think anyone changed the script much to add in their own views (from what I can tell). I'm kind of glad. Anyway, this one to me was just a very good action movie. It was almost much easier to watch than "Lone Survivor", which was almost painful to watch (not that it was bad!). Better than Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty.

So i'll have to finish the book and see how accurate it is.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #16,520 of 24,676
The first half hour was very dull and just an overview of his life before the military. Was it necessary? Probably.

it couldn't be worse than the first part of The Deer Hunter.

I just watched a trailer for Foxcatcher, looks good. I can already see what you mean with nightmares about Steve Carrel... Quite the contrast from most other roles he's had.

Whiplash, 8/10. It was entertaining and got me excited but seemed a little bit too over the top with some parts. Awesome soundtrack too.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #16,522 of 24,676
I believe they was disappointed :D

Dumb & Dumber to

Really wanted to like this one. okay 6/10 but just try to hard to be dumber then the first one make me not believe in the characters.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #16,523 of 24,676
The Wedding Ringer

10 out of ****ing 10

My friends and I went into this expecting nothing but some lame post 2000 Adam Sandler-esque gags. 

God, were we wrong.

This movie was funny to the point of delirium. I was braying like a donkey, and so was everyone else in the theater. 30 seconds couldn't go by without the entire audience gasping for breath between laughs.

GO SEE IT!!!

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #16,524 of 24,676
  The Wedding Ringer

10 out of ****ing 10

My friends and I went into this expecting nothing but some lame post 2000 Adam Sandler-esque gags. 

God, were we wrong.

This movie was funny to the point of delirium. I was braying like a donkey, and so was everyone else in the theater. 30 seconds couldn't go by without the entire audience gasping for breath between laughs.

GO SEE IT!!!

I can't wait to see it. Looks hilarious

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #16,525 of 24,676
American Sniper 9/10

Didn't read the book but got a chance to watch it last night. It was an interesting look inside of Chris Kyle's life and some of the difficult decisions he had to make in serving his country and coming home to his family. I felt the movie moved at a good pace, I didn't find the beginning to be boring but it whizzes by quickly from his life as a adolescent to an adult. The beginning very briefly showed the beliefs that was instilled within him by his father and how he was raised. The movie was at times intense with the battle scenes but not as intense as Lone Survivor. Excellent acting by Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle as he doesn't miss a beat.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #16,526 of 24,676
"Boyhood" - 9.8/10

I was just mesmerized by this film. I related to it from different perspectives (e.g. child, stepparent, friend, boyfriend, etc) and was sad when it was over. Easily one of my top 10 films of all time. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #16,528 of 24,676
  Boyhood gets a 3/10 from me and everyone I watched it with.  Some one called it a soap opera and I'd say that's accurate with horrible acting and a laughably bad high on pot brownies ending.

I'll go out on a limb and say you're probably post-generation X then. Linklater was right around my age currently (42) when he started this project, and he drew heavily from his own experiences. And that's a huge reason why I - and probably others in my demographic - connected with this film. There was a ton of authenticity there, even if it's not anything you can relate to or appreciate. 

It was stirring emotions in me from start to finish, everything from nostalgia, to hatred, to that butterfly feeling you get when you first meet a girl, etc, etc. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #16,529 of 24,676
With ya Focker, I thought it was great.  I'm almost 40.  Not sure a 9.8, but still, up there.

American Sniper for me was more like a 7.  I really wish they stretched out the ending a little more.  Yada yada, then boom, he's been killed and roll credits.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #16,530 of 24,676

I'll go out on a limb and say you're probably post-generation X then. Linklater was right around my age currently (42) when he started this project, and he drew heavily from his own experiences. And that's a huge reason why I - and probably others in my demographic - connected with this film. There was a ton of authenticity there, even if it's not anything you can relate to or appreciate. 

It was stirring emotions in me from start to finish, everything from nostalgia, to hatred, to that butterfly feeling you get when you first meet a girl, etc, etc. 

Same sentiments.  Same generation group.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back