Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #16,951 of 24,676
I found the sound mixing to be quite awful by listening through a home theater system. Some parts of the soundtrack were too loud and deafening, they drowned dialogue. That must be unbearable with headphones.

I am hoping I can downmix that into a decent stereo stage.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #16,952 of 24,676
I found the sound mixing to be quite awful by listening through a home theater system. Some parts of the soundtrack were too loud and deafening, they drowned dialogue. That must be unbearable with headphones.

I imagine it is and I do miss my home theater setup though. Had to sell it off when moving into an apartment.
I know what you mean about some parts being too loud. The rescue scene in particular. One part there kind of felt a bit obnoxious, at least in Imax.
I was reading this website post and all the drowned out dialogue is as intended. Crazy. There is so much that most people won't even hear it. Seriously why even have the robots make jokes if they're inaudible?
Some of the drowned out dialogue was not important to understand what's happening (according to the director). My guess is that 25% of the dialogue in the movie is insanely hard to hear.
Somehow I got to the point where I heard it all but I think the theaters got sick of people complaining about it.

In the scene with Professor Brand dying, some of his dialogue is supposed to be inaudible according to the director. He specifically mentioned this part.

I plan on watching it with the HD-650 and whatever amp is the most neutral. The DAC in my Sony blu-ray player is too warm sound so i'll use my external DAC too.

I think the modded Q701 might be a better choice. The HD-650 sort of has a slightly closed in soundstage (even with a good one in the recording) so it might make things worse.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #16,953 of 24,676

I imagine it is and I do miss my home theater setup though. Had to sell it off when moving into an apartment.
I know what you mean about some parts being too loud. The rescue scene in particular. One part there kind of felt a bit obnoxious, at least in Imax.
I was reading this website post and all the drowned out dialogue is as intended. Crazy. There is so much that most people won't even hear it. Seriously why even have the robots make jokes if they're inaudible?
Some of the drowned out dialogue was not important to understand what's happening (according to the director). My guess is that 25% of the dialogue in the movie is insanely hard to hear.
Somehow I got to the point where I heard it all but I think the theaters got sick of people complaining about it.

In the scene with Professor Brand dying, some of his dialogue is supposed to be inaudible according to the director. He specifically mentioned this part.

I plan on watching it with the HD-650 and whatever amp is the most neutral. The DAC in my Sony blu-ray player is too warm sound so i'll use my external DAC too.

I think the modded Q701 might be a better choice. The HD-650 sort of has a slightly closed in soundstage (even with a good one in the recording) so it might make things worse.

For me understanding the dialogue itself wasn't such a big issue since I watch movies with subtitles (one of the reasons is because of bad mixing). The downfall that got me was that I had to lean over onto the receiver and lower the volume when it got insanely loud during special effects or dramatic scenes (and the dialogue was at moderate, pleasant volume on the previous scene).

Nolan has this problem all the time, I remember it with The Dark Knight Rises and more specifically with The Dark Knight on the opening, the explosions inside the bank were deafening if I remember correctly. Maybe the engineer is a friend of his and he continues to employ him, I don't really know.

The main problem is that for some people this issue (along with many others) could be the dealbreaker of Interstellar.

Personally I loved it the first time, now not so much. It is really flawed if you see the big picture.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #16,954 of 24,676

The virtues of watching Interstellar in dubbed version. No complaints about the sound at all. Dialogues were clear, sound effects like low frequency vibration were awesome.

Interstellar - Russian trailer

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #16,955 of 24,676
One of the benefits of watching almost everything with subtitles, you'll never miss a thing. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #16,956 of 24,676
  One of the benefits of watching almost everything with subtitles, you'll never miss a thing. 

Yep, I do feel that when I watch with subtitles I pick up every single line of dialogue...whereas with regular dialogue tracks I often find myself focusing on other things and missing what's said. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #16,957 of 24,676
Fast and Furious 7: 8.5/10

The most over the top, ridiculous, awesome, entertaining chapter of this FURIOUS movie franchise, and one of the best tribute to a fallen actor that made me stand up and cheer. Fast and Furious 7 is top notch awesome. Other than that, the characters are one dimensional, but with charm. Villain is weak, and some scenes are ******** (HOW THE FLYING **** CAN A CARD BOX SIZE BOMB BLEW UP DON'S HOUSE???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But so what, we got kickass cars, bewbs, racing and fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Paul Walker (1973-2013)

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #16,958 of 24,676
I watched Interstellar on blu-ray last night for the first time. Dialogue was perfectly audible at all times. Zero lines had gone missing. I think the problem is perhaps the theater experience.
Maybe it's much worse on a home theater setup? I don't know yet. All I can say is that it's perfect with headphones! The sound never felt closed in or muffled.

The audio/video quality at home was even better than watching it at the theater. The sound was more neutral and way less boomy. My bedroom TV is a cheap one too and only 37", but 1080p obviously.

The theater sound is so bad that even after viewing 14 I heard some important dialogue for the first time. I can't believe I heard coop tell his son that he loves him for the first time!
On EVERY theater setup the ending dialogue is nearly totally drowned out by the soundtrack.

Setup was an old Sony blu-ray player (one of the first) with optical connection to my Headroom Micro DAC (CS4398 chipset) to Micro Amp and then to my Sennheiser HD-650.
My HD-650 is pretty much neutral except for a little less treble. I first tried my AKG Q701 (bass modded) but the low bass was really unacceptable for this movie.
Strangely my Koss Pro DJ100 has better sound quality overall for the movie, but was more closed in sounding. The low bass was much greater in volume too.

The HD-650's very bass isn't perfect for Interstellar but I didn't feel as if I was missing anything. You can actually feeling low bass rumbling sounds with this headphone.

BTW my guess is that they improved the sound mix slightly for the blu-ray or maybe it just is easier to hear the dialogue on headphones?

Oh and I'd say this was one of my best viewings of it yet despite being on a small screen. For me it doesn't get worse and it never gets old. I noticed it only first really starts to suck me in when they're in the boardroom scene talking about the wormhole.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #16,960 of 24,676
Fast and Furious 7: 8.5/10

The most over the top, ridiculous, awesome, entertaining chapter of this FURIOUS movie franchise, and one of the best tribute to a fallen actor that made me stand up and cheer. Fast and Furious 7 is top notch awesome. Other than that, the characters are one dimensional, but with charm. Villain is weak, and some scenes are ******** (HOW THE FLYING **** CAN A CARD BOX SIZE BOMB BLEW UP DON'S HOUSE???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). But so what, we got kickass cars, bewbs, racing and fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Paul Walker (1973-2013)

Are you sure that 8.5 is for the movie and not for Paul? :rolleyes:

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #16,962 of 24,676
Interstellar
Really enjoyed this one, makes you think about space time , time travel and the time continuoum... And how it could be manipulated and bent around. Thinking mans kind if sci-fi. Just a different kind of movie... Interesting, lots of twists and surprises through the plot and with the characters in their journey.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #16,963 of 24,676
Interstellar
Really enjoyed this one, makes you think about space time , time travel and the time continuoum... And how it could be manipulated and bent around. Thinking mans kind if sci-fi. Just a different kind of movie... Interesting, lots of twists and surprises through the plot and with the characters in their journey.

Yup. Second viewing here. I could live without the "love transcends relativity and quantum physics" input.
The BR played through stereo and headphones as I believe is mentioned above, is light years:) better than the gawdawful surround mix in theatres. Methinks Nolan made way too much use of the centre channel for that mix. In Stereo Caines death scene is clearly audible on all words.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #16,964 of 24,676
I don´t remember the audio mix being to bad. But I live in a subtitle bless country and didn´t watch the movie in IMAX. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back