Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #4,951 of 6,948
eek.gif
Quote:
I too found Bioshock Infinite to be a little disappointing on the gameplay front. Bioshock 2 actually did this best.

Incidentally, I still think Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated. I blame circlejerking for this to some degree, but the over emphasis on "new". Bioshock 1 may have been fresh, but on a gameplay front, it was extremely clunky and almost ruined the experience for me. It might as well have been a Telltale-style interactive story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eek.gif
 I guess that is why there is the old adage about opinions. Bio:1 Revolutionary and along with Splinter Cell a justifiable reason for having bought a Xbox. Bio:2 complete and utter letdown (wasn't aware of it at the time but now I can see Ken Levine missing really affecting the game), Bio:3 GOTY and an all time favorite. 

I should play through Bioshock 2 again. I remember it being a letdown atmospheric and story wise, but not a bad game per se. Also interested about Minerva's Den as I've never played it, but heard great things about it. I also think Infinite's DLC were better than the actual main game.

Gameplay-wise Bioshock 2 was by far the smoothest. It's no Call of Duty as far as gunplay goes, but it is the smoothest out of the three. Infinite only really brought about the skyhook and true ADS but it was not dissimilar to the original in my opinion.

As far as story goes, I think the good ending of Bioshock 2 hit me the hardest, because the tale is far more personal in nature than are 1 and 3. While I did enjoy the sci-fi elements of Infinite extremely appealing, I think the pacing didn't quite work for me. It was too sudden, and left me wondering whether I had finished the game or not (even if in hindsight, it was pretty obvious).

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4,952 of 6,948
Gameplay-wise Bioshock 2 was by far the smoothest. It's no Call of Duty as far as gunplay goes, but it is the smoothest out of the three. Infinite only really brought about the skyhook and true ADS but it was not dissimilar to the original in my opinion.

As far as story goes, I think the good ending of Bioshock 2 hit me the hardest, because the tale is far more personal in nature than are 1 and 3. While I did enjoy the sci-fi elements of Infinite extremely appealing, I think the pacing didn't quite work for me. It was too sudden, and left me wondering whether I had finished the game or not (even if in hindsight, it was pretty obvious).

In bioshock 2 the ending was sublime in my book. It is one of those endings that you think to yourself (Id like "that person" to play this game).
Personally the neutral ending was the one that made me cry, but my favorite was definitely the bad ending. Id never want that in real life, but I like the idea of being bad :D.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #4,953 of 6,948

In bioshock 2 the ending was sublime in my book. It is one of those endings that you think to yourself (Id like "that person" to play this game).
Personally the neutral ending was the one that made me cry, but my favorite was definitely the bad ending. Id never want that in real life, but I like the idea of being bad :D.

Bioshock 2 also had the most haunting moment in the series (to me), when SPOILER: you play as a little sister. The world through her eyes and the accompanying music for that scene was spectacular. The game was worth playing for that one moment alone, to me.

Personally loved the good ending most. Shed a tear when I first saw it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #4,954 of 6,948
I just this mo finished playing Bioshock Infinite for the second time. First play was exactly a year ago. I was blown away by it as a combat and spectacle first time round. However second time found it a strange game over-all. Plus second time round I noticed the racist themes much more. First time it was buried in the startling aspect of the game like the graphics and gunplay. Pretty offensive stuff when it stands out like a glaring massive aspect during second play, almost all the way through.

The twists and turns of the plot always were a bit thickly laid on. (Do not read on if you do not want to see the story plot and ending.>)MASSIVE SPOILERS NOW>

1. Booker was Anna's father. Yet Comstock was unable to have children. That didn't make sense.
2. Early on Elizabeth realised and said it was her mother that locked her away. Yet soon after was cursing her father Comstock for doing it and keeping her locked up. (Unless I heard that wrong and Comstock just discovered her locked up and kept her that way.)
3. Then the ending has Booker smothered. This was to stop him becoming Comstock by being religiously reborn. Two things wrong with that. One Booker was not a bad guy. He was an enforcer but not a really bad one. Not a mafia type, and more a debt collector or persuader. He also fought tooth and nail to protect Elizabeth and not just because she was a job. Secondly the whole reason Booker could not stop Elizabeth being harmed in every doorway was because there were so many. Therefor dying in one wouldn't stop him in every other.
4. The guy who came to collect the baby also turned out to be the posh guy in the game. I think the posh woman tuned out to be the one Elizabeth called mother. The content here with the posh man, made no sense. When the same guy came to offer Booker the contract to fetch Elizabeth, what was said contradicted the story. It said here came a guy offering a chance of some redemption. I.E. for letting Anna go. It was implied also that it was some redemption for the posh man also, for being part of it. Yet..straight away after, in the boat, they said what was happening to Booker messed up his memories. It implied the man only came for Booker once.

Anyway, that's the way it goes with parallel universes and time travel. Maybe I just liked the simplicity of the splicers in B1+2. After all there were only a few crackers enemies near the start of Infinite. The rest were normal enemies, but just on another side. I think the Bioshock team played for a twist ending, as they do. With all this cross-time-travelling thing going on, it's a hard nut to crack to get it flawless.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #4,955 of 6,948
Bioshock 2 also had the most haunting moment in the series (to me), when SPOILER: you play as a little sister. The world through her eyes and the accompanying music for that scene was spectacular. The game was worth playing for that one moment alone, to me.

Oh yeah, that part was indeed great. Also its funny that in many games, those sort of short but unnatural segements can be so memorable. Another that comes to mind was in Dead space 2 when you "SPOILER, i guess" when you fly throu a lot of space junk to reach in time a leaving shuttle or something like that (im quite sure those who played dead space 2 know what I am talking about).
Those secions are awsome because:
A)We dont expet them
B)Are short, so we dont get tired or bored by them
C)Chance the pace of the game, focusing our attention
D)Create by definition a unique moment.

Thats why for example I loved (at least at start) the mess effect 2 mineral mining.
Was a mini game I simply did not expect to be there.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4,956 of 6,948

Oh yeah, that part was indeed great. Also its funny that in many games, those sort of short but unnatural segements can be so memorable. Another that comes to mind was in Dead space 2 when you "SPOILER, i guess" when you fly throu a lot of space junk to reach in time a leaving shuttle or something like that (im quite sure those who played dead space 2 know what I am talking about).
Those secions are awsome because:
A)We dont expet them
B)Are short, so we dont get tired or bored by them
C)Chance the pace of the game, focusing our attention
D)Create by definition a unique moment.

Thats why for example I loved (at least at start) the mess effect 2 mineral mining.
Was a mini game I simply did not expect to be there.

Oh I did love that part in Dead Space 2. Didn't play 3 because it had micro transactions and I thought it'd ruin the atmosphere. Dead Space 1 had that part nailed, since by the time 2 came along, we all knew what to expect.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #4,957 of 6,948
Oh and since we are talking bioshock, I might ahve something interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTysmqulFwI

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,958 of 6,948
I'm 10 mins away from the PC version of GTA V being unpacked and cranked up on a core i7, 16GB, Radeon R9 290 running a 120hz monitor at 2560x1440.  Audio coming through HRT Microstreamer>Arcam Alpha speaker taps>Hifiman HE560..!!

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,959 of 6,948
  I'm 10 mins away from the PC version of GTA V being unpacked and cranked up on a core i7, 16GB, Radeon R9 290 running a 120hz monitor at 2560x1440.  Audio coming through HRT Microstreamer>Arcam Alpha speaker taps>Hifiman HE560..!!

Nice just got my copy off steam already preloaded should do good on my r9 295x2 just fine can't wait..

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #4,960 of 6,948
I can recommend Crysis 3 if you get handy with the bow from the start.

I played it first time without really trying out the box. I think it was because on fourth difficulty there was still no cross-hair whereas regular weapons had sights. Far too difficult.

I re-played it using the bow on third difficulty, I think called 'veteran'. Good game. I got past stuff in one go that took me endless attempts without the bow.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #4,961 of 6,948
I think crysis 3 is one of the best looking games of all time at least so far it is, really love the series..

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #4,963 of 6,948
  I think crysis 3 is one of the best looking games of all time at least so far it is, really love the series..

The park was stunning. Yes lots of it was amazing looking. I like the story the second time I played. First time it was a bit lost on me because of the struggle I was having with playing, as said above. It's brutally difficult until you get using the bow.

Another Crysis 3 handy tip I worked out is, remap visor to mouse 4, and granades to middle mouse.

Metro Last Light (non-Redux) is a stunner too. Easier to play and better looking than 2033.

As for an old game that's good I am playing F.E.A.R. again, and will likely do the expansions too. Then re-play F.E.A.R. 2.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,964 of 6,948
Oh yeah the metro series is another of my favorites same with fear also in it's day.. Hoping the new GTA V will be a good as they claim we'll see..

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #4,965 of 6,948
Loved the crysis3 eye candy and the game was pretty good also IMHO (also crysis2 w the maldo HD texture pack and mod) was enjoyable. I need to go back and finish Metro: last light. I was enjoying the gameplay even though I didn't care much for the story but I got side tracked on to something else Divinity original sin I think and just never got around to finishing it. if you like the look of CryEngine games , Evolve runs on the latest and is gorgeous with a capable pc. reviews are all across the board but a lot of it has to do with the nickel and diming on the DLC but overall I really enjoyed the gameplay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back