Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jul 18, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5,132 of 6,947
I'm playing Grim Dawn (WIP just fyi) and I'm loving every minute of it. It's not as good as Torchlight 2 or Titan Quest but it's unique, it has
it's edges and it has a different feel to it than a normal ARPG.

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5,133 of 6,947
A couple of games that rarely get discussed, that I like lots. I think they both can come in for criticism for being hard now and again. Shame if they get singled out for it because most games get tough sometimes, and these don't especially. 

Alien Rage: Unlimited  8/10
Hard Reset                  8/10

Both games are eye-candy with brilliant dazzling graphics. Both luckily have demos on Steam so can be tried before shelling cash. (Neither should be played on hardest difficulty on first play.)

Alien Rage is very high testosterone and very high level sci-fi. I like the way it's set where you have an AI female and a guy on tactical speaking to you as you play.

Hint if you buy Hard Reset is, make your first upgrade the shotgun.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #5,134 of 6,947
They both look really good guess I'd better check them out thanks..

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #5,135 of 6,947
  A couple of games that rarely get discussed, that I like lots. I think they both can come in for criticism for being hard now and again. Shame if they get singled out for it because most games get tough sometimes, and these don't especially. 

Alien Rage: Unlimited  8/10
Hard Reset                  8/10

Both games are eye-candy with brilliant dazzling graphics. Both luckily have demos on Steam so can be tried before shelling cash. (Neither should be played on hardest difficulty on first play.)

Alien Rage is very high testosterone and very high level sci-fi. I like the way it's set where you have an AI female and a guy on tactical speaking to you as you play.

Hint if you buy Hard Reset is, make your first upgrade the shotgun.

Buff, Alien rage i really did not like.
Got it free with a magazine, so obviously I dont complain, but the game is boring for me, very boring.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #5,136 of 6,947
  Buff, Alien rage i really did not like.
Got it free with a magazine, so obviously I dont complain, but the game is boring for me, very boring.

Fair enough. It's always each to their own. Between Alien Rage and Hard Reset, Alien Rage scores lower on Steam reviews. It's cool you got AR free though.

To me Alien Rage is a single player Unreal Tournament, slightly slower, with Alien enemies instead of human. The plot is quite thin, and rarely discussed. If you miss just a couple of parts of it, the story is kind of gone. Then you're just playing a shooter with no aim. Even when you grasp the story, there's not much, and it doesn't feature as a main discussion anywhere.

What it is to me though is the way I expected older games to progress. Games like original Doom, Unreal tournament, Unreal, etc. I expected games to turn out like this. Very old style with modern graphics.

I liked Alien Rage from the start though. The moment I looked down the sights of the Ion Rifle, I thought, "Wow this is sci-fi".

I forgot to mention both games are relatively short, so you need to get them on sale.

Btw, thanks @abvolt, and @Axeslinger0u812, for the nod on Wolfenstien 2009. It's good to hear folks really liked it. Maybe one day Steam will have it. Or I might get lucky and find it cheap somewhere. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #5,139 of 6,947
I'm replaying Planescape: Torment since I was in the mood for a masterpiece.  9001/10.  It still amazes me how good this game is, how rarely it descends into usual cliches and tropes compared to every other game.  The writing quality, originality, and attention to detail are unparalleled and the atmosphere is outstanding (for a 2.5D game).

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #5,140 of 6,947

Fair enough. It's always each to their own. Between Alien Rage and Hard Reset, Alien Rage scores lower on Steam reviews. It's cool you got AR free though.

To me Alien Rage is a single player Unreal Tournament, slightly slower, with Alien enemies instead of human. The plot is quite thin, and rarely discussed. If you miss just a couple of parts of it, the story is kind of gone. Then you're just playing a shooter with no aim. Even when you grasp the story, there's not much, and it doesn't feature as a main discussion anywhere.

What it is to me though is the way I expected older games to progress. Games like original Doom, Unreal tournament, Unreal, etc. I expected games to turn out like this. Very old style with modern graphics.

I liked Alien Rage from the start though. The moment I looked down the sights of the Ion Rifle, I thought, "Wow this is sci-fi".

I forgot to mention both games are relatively short, so you need to get them on sale.

Btw, thanks @abvolt, and @Axeslinger0u812, for the nod on Wolfenstien 2009. It's good to hear folks really liked it. Maybe one day Steam will have it. Or I might get lucky and find it cheap somewhere. 

I know what you mean int erms of the weapons, but they did not feel very powerfull to me (this is key in a shooter that has weak story, etc).
Maybe I just have too high of a standard with games that introduce a lot more elements to the game like fallout 3 or bioshock 1 :D.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #5,141 of 6,947
  I know what you mean int erms of the weapons, but they did not feel very powerfull to me (this is key in a shooter that has weak story, etc).
Maybe I just have too high of a standard with games that introduce a lot more elements to the game like fallout 3 or bioshock 1 :D.

I never found the weapons weak. In fact you can take down all regular and elite enemies within a second with headshots. The sniper rifle drops most enemies with one shot to anywhere. Some of the weapons I have not even tried. The weapons those cloaked fast enemies use, I always found that useless.

I admit though that last boss a bit of a pain. Very cool boss though and think it escaped so I think it was set up for a sequel.

Overall it took me about eleven hours first play. I have played it four times, having just now completed the fourth which went in probably nine and half hours.

I think something that makes this game at a disadvantage is that it takes time to get used to all the tricks. Like many enemies are near explosive orange Promethium. Headshots are lethal. Bosses have particular methods to make them easier. Like the second to last boss, third time I played had me screaming. This time I did it second go, and discover the secret was to keep moving in the third stage. He jumps into the ring, then move the second he starts to throw out grenades. Keep moving as he will fire rockets. Then after that open up on the orange areas of his armour. Rinse and repeat. Another boss goes down in maybe thirty seconds if you know how.

The only slight negative aspect about Alien Rage for me is the last boss can be tough, though not always. Secondly I wanted it to be longer at about eighteen hours. The graphics are a bit dazzling, and while great could do with slightly better textures. Overall though it looks like a sci-fi special effects bonanza.

However I doubt we l will ever see better textures as this game never went big and a sequel is unlikely. That's even with a score 7/10 on Steam review, and 7/10 on Metacritic user reviews. Unfortunately the pro reviews hammered it, so it never stood a chance.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #5,143 of 6,947
I suspected that the data voice pad recordings in Alien Rage was the same actress as Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. Anyway after looking up the cast of both games, it is Courtnee Draper for both. I also think that the main character in Wolfenstein is the main character in Alien Rage. However I can't check, because Courtnee Draper is the only cast member mentioned on Alien Rage.

I know that's a bit of a waffle but it highlights that AR is well acted, and it is.

I would say it's a good buy for $4. The Steam full price of £15 is questionable to me anyway, because I don't pay that much for games.

With the demo free on Steam though you can't really go wrong. Anyway with this talk of demos I just had another rake through the Steam demos. I picked out about fifteen games to try.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #5,144 of 6,947
  I'm replaying Planescape: Torment since I was in the mood for a masterpiece.  9001/10.  It still amazes me how good this game is, how rarely it descends into usual cliches and tropes compared to every other game.  The writing quality, originality, and attention to detail are unparalleled and the atmosphere is outstanding (for a 2.5D game).

I really wish someone would make games like this again.

I have pretty much givin up on gaming....just can't stand the hand holding......graphics are great now days....game play has fallen off drastically , IMHO.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #5,145 of 6,947
Just replayed the mass effect trilogy for the first time since the original me3 ending days (which I thought was a fine ending to an awesome series). I still really like it and the extended cut makes it slightly better. People love to complain either way. I wish EA (who have always sucked) and bioware (who have been sucking for awhile) would have stoped the cash grab and released all the dlc in the trilogy set instead of actually releasing more separate pay dlc and removing some that previously was included. I hate dlc so much. Femshep rules the milky way yo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back