Rate the video games you're currently playing
Aug 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,161 of 6,972
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (with Stalker Complete 2009 mod) - a FPS with a great atmosphere a bit of RPG element in terms of inventory management.  I loved the Tarkovsky film and while this is nowhere near that level of genius, it does at times capture of some the atmosphere of that film.  The mod greatly improves the graphics and adds the ability to quick travel.

Gunslinger: Call of Juarez - really fun arcade style shooting mechanics, upgrades, plus excellent voice acting and storytelling pulls it ahead of most other FPS games.  The duels do get kind of repetitive.  It was nice to have some music from classic Ennio Morricone western soundtracks.  Also the collectibles shed some really cool background on historic wild west figures and history which acts nicely as a foil to the stories told by the narrator.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,162 of 6,972
  Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (with Stalker Complete 2009 mod) - a FPS with a great atmosphere a bit of RPG element in terms of inventory management.  I loved the Tarkovsky film and while this is nowhere near that level of genius, it does at times capture of some the atmosphere of that film.  The mod greatly improves the graphics and adds the ability to quick travel.

Complete 2009 also makes it a lot easier by dumbing down the AI's senses.  You'll find some very interesting mechanics and features in other mods, like greatly improved A-Life (spawns are more random, AI is more realistic and has new behavior functions and travels everywhere), vehicles, equipment repairing, emissions which also change anomaly spawns, tons of new weapons and other equipment, all of which was planned from the game but cut due to time constraints.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5,163 of 6,972
Splinter Cell Chaos theory. Love stealth games, Thief 2 is probably one of my favorite games of all time. So I was excited to play my first splinter cell game. Really enjoying the game so far, but it is really repetitive. Thief 2 is also really repeitive, but the world was just so interesting and immersive that it never seemed to get old. But really enjoying the game nonetheless. 

Too bad you are getting to it so late as the MP was one of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately the servers are no longer running.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #5,164 of 6,972
  As far as I know, even the base game has some dlc.
Personally I bought ME and ME2 on steam (I would not install origin on my PC under any circumstances), but DLCs then are out of my reach on Steam only.

I had a disaster with my Mass Effect 2 and 3. I installed ME 2 and could not connect to Cerebus which you have to at least once, to play. I think it's an EA connectin issue I have. I could never connect to Battlefield 3 to play online. (I know I said I don't pay multiplayer, but B3 cost me £1 and I loved B2 offline so I wanted to have a look.) Anyway Dead Space 2 and 3 always said I was disconnected from EA servers.

I managed to play Need for Speed inline though, so am puzzled. However when faced with having to fix ME and googling and being online with chat for ages I gave up.

In the end I asked Origin for a refund so I have lost ME 2 and 3. Bit of a shame coz I thought they were meant to be classic greats.

However I always found EA Origin very helpful before and would not advise anyone against them. I have bought all my games with very cheaply and they still do whatever they can to help. I keep thinking about buying a more expensive game to be fair with them. However I struggle to find something that I really want that isn't still full price like Dragon Age Inquisition.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #5,165 of 6,972

Gunslinger: Call of Juarez - really fun arcade style shooting mechanics, upgrades, plus excellent voice acting and storytelling pulls it ahead of most other FPS games.  The duels do get kind of repetitive.  It was nice to have some music from classic Ennio Morricone western soundtracks.  Also the collectibles shed some really cool background on historic wild west figures and history which acts nicely as a foil to the stories told by the narrator.

Try Stalker Lost Alpha if you liked Shadow of Chernobyl.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #5,166 of 6,972
Currently PLaying Dying Light.
7/10.
The graphics are good, the game pacing is nice and the combat and parkour can be satisfying.
The Problem is that in most cases it is not:
1- Parkour requires perfect knowledge of the map to not run yourself into a corner.
2- The first person view makes it very hard to judge jump distances and to land the jumps correctly..
3- Your character has an invisible stamina meter that is consumed when running, jumping and climbing, breaking the flow very often.
4- The combat is painful. You can swing a normal weapon around 5 times, that many normal zombies will take more than that to be taken down. This makes fights vs crowds a no go, no matter your gaming skillz.
5- Throwing melee weapons is fairly inacurate, and your character seemt o only be able to throw a weapon 3 meters away from him.
6- Misions get very repetitive after a bit (its always get from point a to point b and pres/pick up/kill something).

Id say its a good game on sale if you really like zombie games.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #5,167 of 6,972
  Currently PLaying Dying Light.
7/10.
The graphics are good, the game pacing is nice and the combat and parkour can be satisfying.
The Problem is that in most cases it is not:
1- Parkour requires perfect knowledge of the map to not run yourself into a corner.
2- The first person view makes it very hard to judge jump distances and to land the jumps correctly..
3- Your character has an invisible stamina meter that is consumed when running, jumping and climbing, breaking the flow very often.
4- The combat is painful. You can swing a normal weapon around 5 times, that many normal zombies will take more than that to be taken down. This makes fights vs crowds a no go, no matter your gaming skillz.
5- Throwing melee weapons is fairly inacurate, and your character seemt o only be able to throw a weapon 3 meters away from him.
6- Misions get very repetitive after a bit (its always get from point a to point b and pres/pick up/kill something).

Id say its a good game on sale if you really like zombie games.

I had the same impression with Dead Island. It would have been a great game as a shooter with guns that work. Melee made it endless hard work. Maybe DI is meant to be played co-op.

My issues were:
weapons wearing out unrealistically
repetition in missions
no interest in Parkour
combat again painful

I was told Dying Light is much better than Dead Island, however with what you say, it sounds the same.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #5,168 of 6,972

I had the same impression with Dead Island. It would have been a great game as a shooter with guns that work. Melee made it endless hard work. Maybe DI is meant to be played co-op.

My issues were:
weapons wearing out unrealistically
repetition in missions
no interest in Parkour
combat again painful

I was told Dying Light is much better than Dead Island, however with what you say, it sounds the same.

Its better, in fact much better, but the problems are still there.
I just found it a bit weird because:

At start you struggle with the controls like hell, and it seems that as soon as you master the controls everything will be great. Then you do and... nope, still the same game.
The bad part is that it is realistic in some things yet totally unrealistic in others, in fact making the game harder.
The engine is a power hog. It can look amazing but needs much powa!
My greatest gripe with the game is the way they try to make "for everyone".
You get tired after 5 hits, and can barely kill 1 zombie, yet there is an upgrade that allows you to fight without getting tired... so if you really hate that part, just get the upgrade! ... Only its the max level upgrade and the weapons still break in like 25-40 hits... Honestly it seems like the game is ******* with you.

There are so many good ways they could have implemented realistic fighting, but this aint one of them (Afterfall insanity had a better fighting system).
You can still enjoy it, but its borderline idiotic in some regards.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,169 of 6,972
Yeah it's a shame they won't make a good zombie shooter. When I say I am interested in one, people still recommned to get Left 4 Dead. I played that years ago and it's ancient now, which highlights the state of affairs.

I think the reason they don't make one is because they would have to make zombies defeatable with guns. They would have to create many maps, and many enemies, plus a half decent story porbably too.

Dead Island is just lazy development I think. Same map used in open world style, and missions back and forth across same areas.

It's not like there would not be a market for a good zombie shooter either. Plenty of players still battle it out on the Counter Strike Source 'Zombie Riot' server. Many play every day.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,170 of 6,972
  Yeah it's a shame they won't make a good zombie shooter. When I say I am interested in one, people still recommned to get Left 4 Dead. I played that years ago and it's ancient now, which highlights the state of affairs.

I think the reason they don't make one is because they would have to make zombies defeatable with guns. They would have to create many maps, and many enemies, plus a half decent story porbably too.

Dead Island is just lazy development I think. Same map used in open world style, and missions back and forth across same areas.

It's not like there would not be a market for a good zombie shooter either. Plenty of players still battle it out on the Counter Strike Source 'Zombie Riot' server. Many play every day.

Have you ever tried No More Room in Hell?  It's free on Steam, and it's my highest recommended zombie shooter.  Granted, it's essentially just a more hardcore, more realistic counterpart to Left 4 Dead.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,172 of 6,972
Yeah I just saw that game on steam it was released today, actually looks good may give it a go, so far it has good reviews by users..

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,173 of 6,972
Someone is remaking Resident Evil 2 as a third person shooter, so that is one on my wishlist.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/597868/Resident-Evil-2-remake-CONFIRMED-Capcom-HD-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

It's not fixed camera like the RE Remastered, it's a proper shooter. There's acouple of videos of gameplay on the link to watch, and they are great.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #5,174 of 6,972
  Someone is remaking Resident Evil 2 as a third person shooter, so that is one on my wishlist.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/597868/Resident-Evil-2-remake-CONFIRMED-Capcom-HD-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

It's not fixed camera like the RE Remastered, it's a proper shooter. There's acouple of videos of gameplay on the link to watch, and they are great.

Resident Evil was never meant to be a shooter, it's a horror game so quite the opposite.  A disappointing design choice in my opinion.  There are more than enough shooters today.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #5,175 of 6,972

Fixed camera angles just like in the Hd Remaster is the only way to do the Resi games..if they do it any different the only version of Resident 2 to play will be the original!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back