RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #3,332 of 3,674
LPGT Ti Impressions post

It took me a while to decide what I want to really say about the LPGT Ti - at 3600$ it is in a very particular DAP price bracket, where it has relatively few direct competitors - only ones I've tried would probably be the SP2000, the LPGT and the P6 Pro. I thought the SP2000 was terrible, the P6P too dark, LPGT just right but ended up going for the PAW6000 as daily, so really this will be a post just on the LPGT Ti without as much comparison.

The LPGT Ti is well, bright. There's no getting around that, the original LPGT was my golden standard for neutrality, the PAW6000 I'd place as neutral with a hint of decay and warmth for a little more enjoyability, and then there's the Ti which is like a cold, relentless winter. No decay, relatively little bass, loads of upper treble, a fair bit of upper midrange forwardness - it's saved by the fact that it's also the most technical DAP I've tried, with massive soundstage expansion in all directions and detail for days (through both tuning and dynamics).

While "bright" would be my one word TLDR, this isn't to be mistaken with harsh Imo - at no point does the LPGT Ti push any of my IEMs close to sibilance the same way the OG LPGT would dodge all lower treble peaks. Vocals, while forward, are never shouty or harsh either (at least from my IEMs, but those tend to be pretty upper-mid relaxed as is), so while it definitely is a treble-head territory DAP, I don't think Lotoo have gone overboard on the brightness in the tuning. It's also worth noting that the 3.5 is almost identical to the OG LPGT in tuning from memory, so if you have access to a pigtail/adapter you can go for the more treble-relaxed output depending on preference.

The soundstage on it is truly remarkable, and I've never heard anything like it compared to any DAP I've tried. Listening to the Kr5 off the LPGT Ti regularly makes me look around me because the sounds come from so far away I get surprised it's actually the IEMs. That effect is further boosted by the top-tier separation and pitch-black background.

On the negatives - really just the bass imo. The brightness is more of a tuning choice that won't agree with a lot of people, but its execution is flawless - I am however missing a little bass impact as a more "objective" complaint. The low end suckout works really well with something like the Xe6 which has heavy impact as is, and I can imagine it being an excellent pairing with something like the Thummim too, almost as a band aid - paired with the Kr5 however, the result is just too bass light - it works well with some genres, and I often use them together, but the pairing just doesn't feel optimal all around.

The LPGT Ti does get a recommendation from me, but a cautious one. If you're someone like me that heavily values technical ability over musicality, comfortable recommendation - there's also a certain pride and comfort in ownership - the build quality is outrageous, and Lotoo DAPs never really get outdated - the LPGT has been around pretty much since I've been in the hobby and it's still relevant to say the least, and AFAIK there won't be any TOTL DAP release for a while still. I spam Hanako regularly asking for new releases since I've owned the LPGT 3 times, the Ti once and the PAW6000 twice, as well as maybe 4 PAW S1s, but I'm more glad than anything that when they release something I know it's going to be current for more than 4 months (looking at you iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling etc etc)

The other situation where the LPGT Ti gets a more universal recommendation from me is if your collection is already based on warm IEMs - the pairing with the Xe6 and Aeneid is straight up phenomenal, and quite possibly the most balanced and refined portable sound I've ever experienced. The combination of the brightness of the Ti and the excessive warmth of the Xe6 just accomplishes a perfect middle ground.

Lotoo fanboyism to be continued <3

95F6754D-AF83-4A73-8485-7F0D03A4BCC7.JPG
Are you open to using EQ?
Seems like if you were willing to try, you could jack the low end up on the LPGTi to your liking.
And coincidentally, the LPGT (both models) are probably among the best DAPs in the world for EQ'ing, due to having a Blackfin processor dedicated solely to the job, along with the generally great engineering on this one! :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,333 of 3,674
Are you open to using EQ?
Seems like if you were willing to try, you could jack the low end up on the LPGTi to your liking.
And coincidentally, the LPGT (both models) are probably among the best DAPs in the world for EQ'ing, due to having a Blackfin processor dedicated solely to the job, along with the generally great engineering on this one! :)
Naw I don't touch that stuff haha, if I need to EQ a 3600$ DAP I need to sell said 3600$ DAP haha

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3,334 of 3,674
A bit off topic but does anyone have any particularly unique/interesting insights into the whole Ukraine-Russia conflict? It's already having huge impacts on my work, and it seems like those might go on for years.

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #3,335 of 3,674
Ne4 demo in the house! Few songs in, quite clearly a vocal-centric monitor, sounded awful with the LPGT Ti but extremely euphonic with the MHA150... completes the lineup very well though, will be listening a lot in the next few days

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,336 of 3,674
Ne4 review/infographic getting postponed a little because I am deciding whether to go for a CIEM or not still. I won't go into the details too much for now but my personal feelings on the IEM: the Ne4 makes the Kr5 and Xe6 both feel like specialty IEMs - the 5 as a technical monster, and the 6 as a warm, thick and enveloping sound that somehow manages to maintain very good technical ability - the 4 almost feels like the IEM that FiR would recommend you if you couldn't afford the 5 or 6, of if you can't pick between the two, and want an excellent middle ground.

The 4 to me is both more resolving than the 6, and more musical than the 5, with IMHO the best bass tuning of the three. It isn't as neutral as the 5, and not as overdone/basshead-y as the 6, hitting that "somewhat warmer than neutral" sweetspot, a little like the A18s or A12t. It still benefits from FiR's best-in-class bass lows driver, but the texture is just a little less apparent to my ears (I might've just gotten used to it by now though) - midrange is reasonably forward, never shouty, but quite resolving - significantly more so than the 6, and maybe a little more than the 5. The treble is also an excellent middleground between the 5 and 6, where it's not as forward as the 5, not as dark as the 6.

I guess I like and dislike the same thing about the Ne4 - it is an excellent all-rounder, and definitely the most balanced IEM of the New Frontiers lineup, but it is also a fundamentally generic-sounding IEM tuning-wise. The quality of the bass and treble is phenomenal, but it doesn't quite match its bigger brothers - if anything the Ne4 reminds me of the Trio from 64A, but a refreshed version of it, with better SQ across the chart, and more technical ability. It's also reasonably similar to the Craft Ears Aurum.

Not 100% on it still. I only have the UIEM for a week, might be a better decision to purchase the universal for now, spend another several weeks with it, and maybe upgrade to the custom.

A less mixed-feelings impressions post: Lotoo PAW S2

I'll save you some time with this one if you're reading diagonally - go buy one, this is one of the better sources I've heard since joining the hobby. I am specifically saying source because a "dongle" to me has an almost derogatory term. I liked the PAW S1 as a PAW6000 placeholder when I'd forget to charge it, but that's what it was - an 80/90% of their entry-level DAP, with a very maleable pure-neutrality signature that would work with basically anything.

The S2 follows into the fundamental Lotoo philosophy that the coloration should predominantly be introduced from the IEM. That's what makes their stuff work so universally well with anything you plug into it, and if you aren't enjoying the sound you can comfortably say the IEM's tuning isn't for you. It is reviewer heaven, but more than that, for anyone who swaps their gear every few weeks there's basically no better alternative Imo.

It sports a healthy bass boost - I'd say comparable to the PAW6000, and maybe taking it a touch further. The Kr5 lows on it are phenomenal, and I can say the same about the Ne4/A18S/A12t. To balance that, the rest of the signature is quite clear and neutral, with a hint of midrange forwardness, as well as a very "liberated" treble response. It doesn't limit the highs the way the PAW S1 did both qualitatively and quantitatively, while being a little bolder in that region than the 6000, and moving away from that ultimate neutrality.

On technical ability it performs very well, while obviously not being able to expect the full DAP experience. Staging is reasonably wide and quite spherical, but falls short even compared to something like the PAW6000, which tends to stretch the sound further in all directions, especially the width. Separation and dynamics are good, definitely good enough for a walk with my dog, while detail is its strong suit, and among the better I've heard from portable sources (note: I'm not saying dongles).

Where the PAW S2 is in a league of its own to me personally is that it has me genuinely excited for my sessions with it. There's plenty of excitement in the signature, there's proper thumping bass and it doesn't sacrifice all technical ability and separation in the process (I'm looking at you LP W2). It doesn't force its signature on whatever you've plugged in either, so for the most part you still maintain the signature of the IEM, just a little spiced up by that clarity + bass boost.

The S2 to me isn't so much an upgrade on the S1, it's an entirely new product where Lotoo have gone for their most exciting sound signature to date, while still preserving their DNA. Even as someone that finds DAPs infinitely more convenient than dongles, the sound of the S2 is a big enough argument for me to choose to use it because of how stupid good the pairing with the Kr5 is. At 300$ before any discounts, I have not experienced better sound, and I have not experienced better value out of any source - in that sense it displaces the PAW6000 as my "value" recommendation.

Highest recommendation I can give any dongle

IMG-7067.jpg

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #3,337 of 3,674
Ne4 review/infographic getting postponed a little because I am deciding whether to go for a CIEM or not still. I won't go into the details too much for now but my personal feelings on the IEM: the Ne4 makes the Kr5 and Xe6 both feel like specialty IEMs - the 5 as a technical monster, and the 6 as a warm, thick and enveloping sound that somehow manages to maintain very good technical ability - the 4 almost feels like the IEM that FiR would recommend you if you couldn't afford the 5 or 6, of if you can't pick between the two, and want an excellent middle ground.

The 4 to me is both more resolving than the 6, and more musical than the 5, with IMHO the best bass tuning of the three. It isn't as neutral as the 5, and not as overdone/basshead-y as the 6, hitting that "somewhat warmer than neutral" sweetspot, a little like the A18s or A12t. It still benefits from FiR's best-in-class bass lows driver, but the texture is just a little less apparent to my ears (I might've just gotten used to it by now though) - midrange is reasonably forward, never shouty, but quite resolving - significantly more so than the 6, and maybe a little more than the 5. The treble is also an excellent middleground between the 5 and 6, where it's not as forward as the 5, not as dark as the 6.

I guess I like and dislike the same thing about the Ne4 - it is an excellent all-rounder, and definitely the most balanced IEM of the New Frontiers lineup, but it is also a fundamentally generic-sounding IEM tuning-wise. The quality of the bass and treble is phenomenal, but it doesn't quite match its bigger brothers - if anything the Ne4 reminds me of the Trio from 64A, but a refreshed version of it, with better SQ across the chart, and more technical ability. It's also reasonably similar to the Craft Ears Aurum.

Not 100% on it still. I only have the UIEM for a week, might be a better decision to purchase the universal for now, spend another several weeks with it, and maybe upgrade to the custom.

A less mixed-feelings impressions post: Lotoo PAW S2

I'll save you some time with this one if you're reading diagonally - go buy one, this is one of the better sources I've heard since joining the hobby. I am specifically saying source because a "dongle" to me has an almost derogatory term. I liked the PAW S1 as a PAW6000 placeholder when I'd forget to charge it, but that's what it was - an 80/90% of their entry-level DAP, with a very maleable pure-neutrality signature that would work with basically anything.

The S2 follows into the fundamental Lotoo philosophy that the coloration should predominantly be introduced from the IEM. That's what makes their stuff work so universally well with anything you plug into it, and if you aren't enjoying the sound you can comfortably say the IEM's tuning isn't for you. It is reviewer heaven, but more than that, for anyone who swaps their gear every few weeks there's basically no better alternative Imo.

It sports a healthy bass boost - I'd say comparable to the PAW6000, and maybe taking it a touch further. The Kr5 lows on it are phenomenal, and I can say the same about the Ne4/A18S/A12t. To balance that, the rest of the signature is quite clear and neutral, with a hint of midrange forwardness, as well as a very "liberated" treble response. It doesn't limit the highs the way the PAW S1 did both qualitatively and quantitatively, while being a little bolder in that region than the 6000, and moving away from that ultimate neutrality.

On technical ability it performs very well, while obviously not being able to expect the full DAP experience. Staging is reasonably wide and quite spherical, but falls short even compared to something like the PAW6000, which tends to stretch the sound further in all directions, especially the width. Separation and dynamics are good, definitely good enough for a walk with my dog, while detail is its strong suit, and among the better I've heard from portable sources (note: I'm not saying dongles).

Where the PAW S2 is in a league of its own to me personally is that it has me genuinely excited for my sessions with it. There's plenty of excitement in the signature, there's proper thumping bass and it doesn't sacrifice all technical ability and separation in the process (I'm looking at you LP W2). It doesn't force its signature on whatever you've plugged in either, so for the most part you still maintain the signature of the IEM, just a little spiced up by that clarity + bass boost.

The S2 to me isn't so much an upgrade on the S1, it's an entirely new product where Lotoo have gone for their most exciting sound signature to date, while still preserving their DNA. Even as someone that finds DAPs infinitely more convenient than dongles, the sound of the S2 is a big enough argument for me to choose to use it because of how stupid good the pairing with the Kr5 is. At 300$ before any discounts, I have not experienced better sound, and I have not experienced better value out of any source - in that sense it displaces the PAW6000 as my "value" recommendation.

Highest recommendation I can give any dongle

IMG-7067.jpg
sold, I'm going to order one :)

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,338 of 3,674
LPGT Ti Impressions post

It took me a while to decide what I want to really say about the LPGT Ti - at 3600$ it is in a very particular DAP price bracket, where it has relatively few direct competitors - only ones I've tried would probably be the SP2000, the LPGT and the P6 Pro. I thought the SP2000 was terrible, the P6P too dark, LPGT just right but ended up going for the PAW6000 as daily, so really this will be a post just on the LPGT Ti without as much comparison.

The LPGT Ti is well, bright. There's no getting around that, the original LPGT was my golden standard for neutrality, the PAW6000 I'd place as neutral with a hint of decay and warmth for a little more enjoyability, and then there's the Ti which is like a cold, relentless winter. No decay, relatively little bass, loads of upper treble, a fair bit of upper midrange forwardness - it's saved by the fact that it's also the most technical DAP I've tried, with massive soundstage expansion in all directions and detail for days (through both tuning and dynamics).

While "bright" would be my one word TLDR, this isn't to be mistaken with harsh Imo - at no point does the LPGT Ti push any of my IEMs close to sibilance the same way the OG LPGT would dodge all lower treble peaks. Vocals, while forward, are never shouty or harsh either (at least from my IEMs, but those tend to be pretty upper-mid relaxed as is), so while it definitely is a treble-head territory DAP, I don't think Lotoo have gone overboard on the brightness in the tuning. It's also worth noting that the 3.5 is almost identical to the OG LPGT in tuning from memory, so if you have access to a pigtail/adapter you can go for the more treble-relaxed output depending on preference.

The soundstage on it is truly remarkable, and I've never heard anything like it compared to any DAP I've tried. Listening to the Kr5 off the LPGT Ti regularly makes me look around me because the sounds come from so far away I get surprised it's actually the IEMs. That effect is further boosted by the top-tier separation and pitch-black background.

On the negatives - really just the bass imo. The brightness is more of a tuning choice that won't agree with a lot of people, but its execution is flawless - I am however missing a little bass impact as a more "objective" complaint. The low end suckout works really well with something like the Xe6 which has heavy impact as is, and I can imagine it being an excellent pairing with something like the Thummim too, almost as a band aid - paired with the Kr5 however, the result is just too bass light - it works well with some genres, and I often use them together, but the pairing just doesn't feel optimal all around.

The LPGT Ti does get a recommendation from me, but a cautious one. If you're someone like me that heavily values technical ability over musicality, comfortable recommendation - there's also a certain pride and comfort in ownership - the build quality is outrageous, and Lotoo DAPs never really get outdated - the LPGT has been around pretty much since I've been in the hobby and it's still relevant to say the least, and AFAIK there won't be any TOTL DAP release for a while still. I spam Hanako regularly asking for new releases since I've owned the LPGT 3 times, the Ti once and the PAW6000 twice, as well as maybe 4 PAW S1s, but I'm more glad than anything that when they release something I know it's going to be current for more than 4 months (looking at you iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling etc etc)

The other situation where the LPGT Ti gets a more universal recommendation from me is if your collection is already based on warm IEMs - the pairing with the Xe6 and Aeneid is straight up phenomenal, and quite possibly the most balanced and refined portable sound I've ever experienced. The combination of the brightness of the Ti and the excessive warmth of the Xe6 just accomplishes a perfect middle ground.

Lotoo fanboyism to be continued <3

95F6754D-AF83-4A73-8485-7F0D03A4BCC7.JPG

Great album! I love my Ti, especially the flawless nature of its build and how it feels naked in one’s hand.

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,339 of 3,674

Nice impressions! While I have not heard the Kr5, this is primarily how I hear the Ne4 as well. I've compared the Ne4 with the Xe6 in my Xe6 review. I agree, Xe6 is more impressive on first listen and feels like a specialty iem in comparison to the Ne4, which I hear as very, very good and cut from the same cloth, just not as flashy with better overall balance, and an excellent all-rounder. Ne4 will get you a good taste of the Frontier Series sound at a much more palatable price of admission. It should not be overlooked!

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #3,340 of 3,674
Nice impressions! While I have not heard the Kr5, this is primarily how I hear the Ne4 as well. I've compared the Ne4 with the Xe6 in my Xe6 review. I agree, Xe6 is more impressive on first listen and feels like a specialty iem in comparison to the Ne4, which I hear as very, very good and cut from the same cloth, just not as flashy with better overall balance, and an excellent all-rounder. Ne4 will get you a good taste of the Frontier Series sound at a much more palatable price of admission. It should not be overlooked!
Definitely. I liked it with a more midrange-neutral DAP like the PAW6000, it was much too forward for me off the LPGT Ti, and a bit brighter than what I like off the PAW S2. Easily a top tier IEM, I’m still very divided on whether I want it as a CIEM or not

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,342 of 3,674
Anyone here demo the new Fir Audio Xenon 6 vs the ier z1r? I am interested by the tubeless design re soundstage and the kinetic bass.
Z1R is closer to the Kr5 if anything. The 6 has a large stage but is still intimate compared to the IER, whereas the 5 matches it closer on staging/width and brightness

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #3,343 of 3,674
Z1R is closer to the Kr5 if anything. The 6 has a large stage but is still intimate compared to the IER, whereas the 5 matches it closer on staging/width and brightness
BBC04FBD-A675-4366-878F-D9C2666EC0F7.jpeg

KR5 vs IER-Z1R

AE710C1B-DEF9-4554-B30A-A701E5CB1832.jpeg

XE6 vs IER-Z1R

Yep! KR5 sounds closer to the Z1R for me as well. Similarly open sound with great bass impact. KR5 sounds a bit more dynamic and smidgen warmer lower mids.

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #3,344 of 3,674
KR5 vs IER-Z1R

XE6 vs IER-Z1R

Yep! KR5 sounds closer to the Z1R for me as well. Similarly open sound with great bass impact. KR5 sounds a bit more dynamic and smidgen warmer lower mids.
the lower treble is also a little smoother and less peaky. The difference on the graph looks pretty small but I feel the actual "impact" on the sound is more noticeable

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #3,345 of 3,674
KR5 vs IER-Z1R

XE6 vs IER-Z1R

I'm crying in upper mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back