Release of 'Manhunt 2' game suspended in the US and banned in Britain and Ireland ...
Jun 22, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
America's Army the game was created as a recruitment tool for the armed forces, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if what brailledriver said was true.

America's Army is marketing rather than desensitization, making the Army seem seem different/better than it is in reality. It's not like a soldier on the battle will feel different about killing real people just because he played violent video games.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
America's Army is marketing rather than desensitization, making the Army seem seem different/better than it is in reality. It's not like a soldier on the battle will feel different about killing real people just because he played violent video games.

Yep, the enrollment rate in the Army was dropping to historic lows, so some guy decided it would be a good idea to make a realistic video game that introduced and enticed people to join the U.S. Army. Quite the success of a marketing strategy, actually, and enrollment is now as high as its been in a decade or so.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see what the big deal is, the game was going to suck.

The first one did... I'll wait for the new GTA, Halo 3, Mercenaries 2, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Assassins Creed, etc.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #51 of 69
Here is an interesting fragment from Violent Video Games:

Quote:

Myth 8. Unrealistic video game violence is completely safe for adolescents and older youths.
Facts: Cartoonish and fantasy violence is often perceived (incorrectly) by parents and public policy makers as safe even for children. However, experimental studies with college students have consistently found increased aggression after exposure to clearly unrealistic and fantasy violent video games. Indeed, at least one recent study found significant increases in aggression by college students after playing E-rated (suitable for everyone) violent video games.

From another article Violence and Video Games:

Quote:

Why Is There So Much Violence?
The answer appears to be simple. Violence sells. According to Ken Wirt, assistant vice-president of NEC, "Violent games are the most popular because the people who spend the most money on games are boys ages 10-16." People enjoy the action in violent games.
In fact, the American audience in general craves violence. Between 1952 and 1964, television saw a 90% increase in violent programming. Advertisers and producers created more violent shows because it quickly became apparent that Americans would sooner watch something violent than something non-violent. Video game marketers use the same strategy.

From an interesting article Study Finds Significant Amounts of Violence ....

Which games contained the most violence as a percentage of game play time?
Nuclear Strike 64, ....

Which games contained the most deaths per minute of game play?
Centepede , .....

Do not see you on the Violent
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 69
I heard that barry bonds shows up in the game as cracked-out steroid patient.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The US Military uses similar games to desensitize soldiers to killing so extrapolate it out.

speaking from a number of friends in 2 branches of the military (army and marines) WRONG...

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marados /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played Quake 1 when I was 7 years old, and Quake 2 when I was about 8 or 9.

I'm a vegetarian pacifist, at the moment. ^_^;

Let me repeat that I haven't played any Quake games,
but despite that we've had more than one earthQuake in California!

blink.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marados /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played Quake 1 when I was 7 years old, and Quake 2 when I was about 8 or 9.

I'm a vegetarian pacifist, at the moment. ^_^;

High five, i'm also a vegetarian who enjoys games with violence like counter-strike, unreal, grand theft auto, carmageddon
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back