REVIEW: Blue Circle Audio SBH Headphone Amp
Jul 14, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I don’t remember exactly how I heard of the SBH. I had heard of Blue Circle Audio, and since “mainstream” high-end audio manufacturers making headphone gear is kind of uncommon, I found it intriguing. I posted about it on head-fi, and lo and behold I got an email from another head-fier who is a big Blue Circle fan. He offered to have the designer Gilbert Yeung, drop by my house with one for me to listen to! Gilbert was a lot of fun to talk to, and I enjoyed my audition of the amp enough that I decided to buy one. It has since become my main headphone amp, and likely will be for some time.

Here is a short description of the SBH. More detail can be found on the Blue Circle Website, here: http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?page_id=6938 The SBH has 2 inputs, and one headphone output. It has a separate power supply chassis and is linked to the amp itself with an umbilical cord. I know the SBH is op-amp based, but Gilbert declined to say WHAT op-amps are used. I also ordered mine with the remote control option, which is very cool. Also, one of the main reasons I was originally interested in this amp is that in addition to the master volume control, it has separate level controls for the left and right channels. I find this HUGELY useful, and I really wish more headphone amps had some sort of balance control. It’s nice to be able to center the singer when the recording didn’t quite do it.

Here is a pic in my rig:

DSC01336.jpg

I listened to the SBH with my DT880/600, DT990/600, Deep closed Darth Beyers, and Denon D5000’s. It drove all very, very well.

The SBH is a highly transparent amp. No grain, no noise, no haze – just a completely wide open window to the music. This is a VERY important factor of amplification for me, and the SBH has it, in spades. It gives you that feeling of having nothing between you and the music. In fact, only the RSA Apache of all the amps I have ever heard for any length of time is better in this regard. The SBH bettered the very good Meier Opera in this regard.

Also, like the Apache, the SBH has that magical ability to make instruments sound REAL. The great imaging and transparency are part of what makes this true, but there is more than that. Again like the Apache, the SBH has an almost tube-like warmth and lushness, but in a way that does not reduce transparency, obscure detail, or color the sound unacceptably, as some tube amps can. Midrange performance on the SBH was truly excellent all around – warm, lush, smooth, and detailed – such a great combination of traits!

Treble extension and air were also top-notch, as was the treble detail. Again, a level of smoothness was present, but still terrific detail. It was not quite the equal of the Apache in this regard, but was on par with the Opera, which I have held as a paragon of smooth-yet-detailed treble.

Soundstaging was likewise excellent. Soundstage width was very good – soundstage depth was outstanding. In fact again in this regard it was very close to the Apache, and better than the Opera. I could easily get lost in the musical image, which is again the hallmark of a world-class headphone amp, which the SBH certainly is.

Bass performance was very good, but in this regard the Opera was better. The SBH’s bass is just one notch less well defined than the Opera, which I think has fantastically defined and weighty bass. But this was really NEVER a “problem” in any way – the SBH’s bass is excellent and enjoyable. It’s deep, tight, and weighty. It’s just that in this regard I have heard slightly better in the similarly priced Opera.

The thing about the SBH that really continues to impress, over and over, is how incredibly musical the SBH is. It’s been so easy to get lost in the music with the SBH that it makes the perfect amp for me in my bedside rig. I would be too easily distracted having the SBH in my office. I’m not sure how much more praise I could give it.

The SBH is certainly very competitive with the similarly priced Opera, although since the Opera comes with a very fine DAC, it’s probably the better bargain, since the two amps are very close in overall performance. I find I slightly prefer the musical presentation of the SBH over the Opera, but both are excellent. The SBH’s slightly tube-like mids are what put it over the edge for me. That beguiling musicality is what we music-lovers pay a lot for, and while the SBH is far from cheap, it delivers the goods for a price much less than a lot of other world-class headphone amps.

The Blue Circle SBH doesn’t get much coverage here on head-fi. It should. It makes spending more than $1200 on a headphone amp VERY hard to justify. Highly, highly recommended.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 20
Nice review, very well written. It's good to read about other SS amps in the $1000 range apart from the Opera, Headamp and Rudistor offerings.

But $320 for a remote control?

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 20
The good news is that the remote is optional
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 20
Skylab --

Nice writeup. I agree that in terms of musicality the SBH is one of the most honest yet highly enjoyable presentations I've heard.

I did inquire about the remote control option, as it does sound rather handy at times. The one item BC mentioned is that they install an isolated power source (I.E. a separate transformer) to drive the remote control. While it adds to the cost the sound quality is not sacrificed for sake of added convenience. Very nice. I wish the designers of some portable audio players took this aspect in account.

Cheers -- erzbischof

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 20
Great review, Skylab. Yet another Canadian company is making great amps. I like that! They should add "How do I buy your products?" to the FAQ. Seems to be a glaring ommission.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 20
I agree, they should. Unlike a lot of the head-amp specific companies, Blue Circle sells through a traditional hi-end audio dealer network. Meaning you have to go to an actual store
smily_headphones1.gif
The good news is then you can actually audition the product before buying it!

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The good news is then you can actually audition the product before buying it!

Great review as always Skylab. I'll have to check one out if they are local. I promised myself I was going to put the $ into DIY now that I'm happy with my setup, but you have to go and upset the applecart again.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

It has since become my main headphone amp, and likely will be for some time.

So it sounds like this is the new favourite? That's most interesting...

Quote:

I know the SBH is op-amp based, but Gilbert declined to say WHAT op-amps are used.

I wonder if it has discrete buffers at the output stage? The web site doesn't tell much.

Quote:

Also, one of the main reasons I was originally interested in this amp is that in addition to the master volume control, it has separate level controls for the left and right channels. I find this HUGELY useful, and I really wish more headphone amps had some sort of balance control. It’s nice to be able to center the singer when the recording didn’t quite do it.

I also love this feature. I have found myself becoming very sensitive to this with the Darths. Perhaps it's the narrow but deep soundstage; I am sometimes annoyed by offset vocals like never before. Two extra pots could be an issue but you obviously like the quality.

Lastly I see from the Blue Circle forum that there is (or at least was contemplated) a preamp option that you can order. That would be attractive.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 20
BC is somewhat flexible with options. If Gilbert Yeung believes that an option will not hurt the sonics of the unit and it will fit in the available space without any radical redsign, he generally will provide it.

I don't know what output stage he has in this. He will tell you, it's one that sounds good. BC focuses a lot on power. It has a beefy power supply and lots of filtering. It will be very low noise and distortion, as the specs show.

BC products all tend to have the same sound signature. As you move up the BC chain, it just gets better. When you finally buy the big monoblocks there is practically nothing standing between you and the music except for your crappy speakers!

Come to RMAF and listen. I believe he is going to bring an SBH, plus a lot of other stuff. Email BC.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are those switches above the balance pots?

Switches between the 2 inputs and "mute".

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 20
Someone needs to take this amp to a meet in the US. It really is a shame that so few people have heard it. Of course, head amps are not Blue Circle's main business at all, so it is understandable why Gilbert Yeung, the owner/designer of BC, doesn't go to meets.

I live in Europe and, besides, I don't know a triode from pentode. That leaves you, Skylab, and who else?

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 20
You just told my story, tanyaa. Really. At RMAF 2006, I spent 5 minutes listening to an MPX3 and was hooked. At RMAF, I spent 5 minutes listening to the SBH and "it was deja-vue all over again". I use them both. Love them both. The SBH, I have to say, is a better Preamp. Mine is configured both ways.

Gilbert has a version of the SBH in a single box, now. It looks gorgeous, but I still prefer the two boxes, as I can put the control unit of the SBH and my MPX3 Slam SE on the same shelf on my rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back