Rockna Wavelight
Jul 6, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,186 of 1,586
How do you feed the Wavelight?
What you hear depends heavily not only the analog side of the chain, but also on the digital. I was shocked by the increase of clarity once I connected a Cayin N7 through i2s to WL instead of using USB or coax.
(The rest of the chain was Feliks Envy and Elite)

My primary choice is always coaxial, but I also tested with USB too. I've heard I2S with several DACs, great technical, like it better than USB, but in the end I always prefer the "more relax" presentation of Coaxial. Also, my TT2 doesn't have I2S, so I don't have any I2S cable laying around me now haha. Will give it a try later.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,187 of 1,586
My primary choice is always coaxial, but I also tested with USB too. I've heard I2S with several DACs, great technical, like it better than USB, but in the end I always prefer the "more relax" presentation of Coaxial. Also, my TT2 doesn't have I2S, so I don't have any I2S cable laying around me now haha. Will give it a try later.
On the Wavelight, USB and AES/EBU are the more relaxed inputs relative to the Coaxial and I2S, with the AES and I2S being superior in performance over the other 2. I never got to try the AES, but a couple of my friends swear by it as the best input for people wanting a more relaxed sound relative to the I2S without sacrificing much of performance.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #1,188 of 1,586
I never got to try the AES, but a couple of my friends swear by it as the best input for people wanting a more relaxed sound relative to the I2S without sacrificing much of performance.
It depends on which DDC you have. DI-20HE users say that I2S sounds the best. HDMI cable is also very important. As a rule, it should be as short as possible, no matter a generic TV 8k or a special audiophile cable.

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,189 of 1,586
It depends on which DDC you have. DI-20HE users say that I2S sounds the best. HDMI cable is also very important. As a rule, it should be as short as possible, no matter a generic TV 8k or a special audiophile cable.
My friends and I are well aware of those dependencies.

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,190 of 1,586
Currently in a fun night listening time now, comparing Rockna Wavelight and Chord TT2 side by side in my system (finally!). I already heard Wavelight for many times, but never with direct comparison with TT2.

Initial Impression is both DACs definitely in the same level, have pros/cons in different area, and ultimately I think to decide which one better, heavily depend on the rest of the chain (headphone and amp). Rockna definitely produce more weightier notes, musical and engaging feel, while TT2 is revealing more micro detail/texture and "sharper" pin point imaging.
@TheMiddleSky you sure have a lot of fun :) Are you comparing TT2 with or without M-Scaler?

My findings when doing similar comparison were following:

• TT2 is not as smooth as Rockna WL.
  • TT2 with M-Scaler is not as smooth as Rockna WL.
  • TT2 can be hard to pair with external amp, but in my case external amp did more than adding M-Scaler to the chain.
  • I've tried different upsampling methods with Rockna WL but it sounded best without any (hence I'm very interested in Rockna Server). IMHO Rockna WL is a lot less susceptible to upsampling than other dacs.
  • Rockna WL is more engaging and lets you immerse yourself into the music.
  • TT2 can be sometimes more detailed than WL but only by a fraction.
  • TT2 can be better for critical listening sessions.
  • WL does not make instant WOW when listening to it for the very first time contrary to TT2 when you have some others dacs (but not Rockna) on the shelf. TT2 seems to be very musical with great instrument placement and separation. Due to WL smoothness the separation may seem a bit blurred for a second therefore I think TT2 can be better for critical listening but alone, without an amp it can be fatiguing for me for longer listening sessions. Never have been bored or tired when listening to Rockna WL.
  • If you lack details and/or a bit of sharpness/edge select NOS mode in Rockna WL.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,191 of 1,586
I have also noticed a difference in presentation within USB dependent upon which software is used to play whatever you are listening to. I haven't tried any other input aside from USB (yet) but I did notice that playing through Roon using its own sound engine was way more stressed, overly-energetic and foward sounding than using Roon + Squeezelite or Innuos Sense to play the same tracks. The latter two had a more relaxed and fluid presentation.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,192 of 1,586
@TheMiddleSky you sure have a lot of fun :) Are you comparing TT2 with or without M-Scaler?

My findings when doing similar comparison were following:

• TT2 is not as smooth as Rockna WL.
  • TT2 with M-Scaler is not as smooth as Rockna WL.
  • TT2 can be hard to pair with external amp, but in my case external amp did more than adding M-Scaler to the chain.
  • I've tried different upsampling methods with Rockna WL but it sounded best without any (hence I'm very interested in Rockna Server). IMHO Rockna WL is a lot less susceptible to upsampling than other dacs.
  • Rockna WL is more engaging and lets you immerse yourself into the music.
  • TT2 can be sometimes more detailed than WL but only by a fraction.
  • TT2 can be better for critical listening sessions.
  • WL does not make instant WOW when listening to it for the very first time contrary to TT2 when you have some others dacs (but not Rockna) on the shelf. TT2 seems to be very musical with great instrument placement and separation. Due to WL smoothness the separation may seem a bit blurred for a second therefore I think TT2 can be better for critical listening but alone, without an amp it can be fatiguing for me for longer listening sessions. Never have been bored or tired when listening to Rockna WL.
  • If you lack details and/or a bit of sharpness/edge select NOS mode in Rockna WL.

Without M-Scaller. Both DAC connected to my Ultrasonic Oblivion. Use ZMF Caldera as transducer.

My findings (I think) a bit similar to you:
- Rockna is more "alive" and "expressive" (read: more engaging)
- Rockna has a little more Midrange Presence, and also a bit more forward in presentation
- TT2 is like move back few rows, and midrange presence is more in line with treble and bass
- Rockna actually deliver stronger attack (bite and impact), while TT2 become softer sounding here
- TT2 excels more in micro detail and micro texture, not by much, but I constantly here it in most my songs
- Rockna deliver wider soundstage image, but TT2 actually perform better depth soundstage here
- TT2 is a bit airier on treble, while Rockna a bit darker
- While both perform good pin point imaging, I noticed TT2 has sharper imaging structure. Just like in micro detail part, the differences are not significant, but I constantly notice it.

My conclusion is still the same for now, need to match the DAC with the rest of the system to decide which one is better. Oblivion is kind of lively sounding tube amp, deliver dense tonality with strong kick and bite in sound, combine with ZMF Caldera that does good quality slam, with Rockna I feel like "too much of good thing" happen at the same time. TT2 "helps" to smoothen the overall presentation (less energetic), while giving a little more boost in detail and imaging.

I can imagine if I use Hifiman Susvara and DCA Expanse I will prefer Wavelight easily.

p.s: My dealer just can not stop to tease me with Wavedream

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,193 of 1,586
I can imagine if I use Hifiman Susvara and DCA Expanse I will prefer Wavelight easily.

p.s: My dealer just can not stop to tease me with Wavedream
@TheMiddleSky For Susvara WaveLight + Envy can be simply an end-game. As for Wavedream vs WaveLight I think this is a bit similar to TT2 vs DAVE dilemma. Be aware that Wavedream has a different sound signature than WL so you might not like it as much as one would suspect. As for Wavedream I would rather go checkout Mola Mola Tambaqui :wink:

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,194 of 1,586
@TheMiddleSky For Susvara WaveLight + Envy can be simply an end-game. As for Wavedream vs WaveLight I think this is a bit similar to TT2 vs DAVE dilemma. Be aware that Wavedream has a different sound signature than WL so you might not like it as much as one would suspect. As for Wavedream I would rather go checkout Mola Mola Tambaqui :wink:

Ha! I just wrote a post in MMT thread about asking comparison with Wavedream lol. I'm familiar with MMT, and tried for several times too. Definitely a good performer, but for the price I still want to know what's the other option.

What do you think about the differences between Light and Dream? Actually I heard some opinions about them, but kind of mix a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #1,195 of 1,586
Hey guy's, I bought a Wavelight about a month ago. I did not know there was a known pairing issue with DNA amp's. My Stratus is a se only amp. I tried it with balanced to se interconnect adapters and it's an amazing dac. I've decided to let it go though and find something better suited for my amp.

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,196 of 1,586
Hey guy's, I bought a Wavelight about a month ago. I did not know there was a known pairing issue with DNA amp's. My Stratus is a se only amp. I tried it with balanced to se interconnect adapters and it's an amazing dac. I've decided to let it go though and find something better suited for my amp.
Please tell us about the pairing issue.
I'm still unaware of it

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,197 of 1,586

For SE input amp, better to just use RCA out of Wavelight. Wavelight is single ended dac by design anyway.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,198 of 1,586
For SE input amp, better to just use RCA out of Wavelight. Wavelight is single ended dac by design anyway.
You can read about the pairing issue at SBF review/impressions. Look down the page to where it read's SE Out****
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rockna-wavelight-impressions-review.10025/. I'm not a technically educated person so no debates or questions above my head please.

I had already bought my Wavelight and found out about a pairing issue a few weeks in. At that time, I was having trouble using the Wavelights volume. I was trying to set it at different levels and using the Stratus to control the sound level. Donald North suggested setting the Stratus to max and using the Wavelight. I set it at 000 and problem solved. He also suggested the Emotiva balanced to se interconnect adapters with which I heard a difference. That being a small but significant drop in the noise floor. I could go further and buy a balanced to se converter. That might work but I'm ready to call it a day. Just so you know I was told by several people that there is no issue between the Wavedream and DNA amps. Balanced or SE. Even the little Starlette sings like nobody's business. The Wavelight sounds awesome too, it's the noise floor I have an issue with.

I also want everyone to know Rockna has supported me the whole month and they're really a first-class company. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a product from them. They will treat you right. Donald North has also been very supportive, and his suggestions won the day. Unfortunately, I don't think the Wavelight and Stratus are a synergistic duo. Two different presentations. Apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,199 of 1,586
@RubyTiger , Penguins was the only person who felt there was an issue with the Wavelight + DNA combo, but that had more to do with the Wavelight not meeting his expectations in terms of how it sounded. While his impressions of the Wavelight are largely positive, he later heard a Wavedream and realized Wavedream was more his jam than the Wavelight.

You on the other hand seem to be experiencing some sort of noise issue, which is not what Penguins experienced. What headphone are you using with the DNA amp? If you are using a super sensitive headphone, then it is possible the headphone is picking up the noise floor of the amp. If you are getting the noise only with the Wavelight and not any other DAC in the same chain, then it is possible your Wavelight unit might be defective.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #1,200 of 1,586
@RubyTiger , Penguins was the only person who felt there was an issue with the Wavelight + DNA combo, but that had more to do with the Wavelight not meeting his expectations in terms of how it sounded. While his impressions of the Wavelight are largely positive, he later heard a Wavedream and realized Wavedream was more his jam than the Wavelight.
What you said may be true, but it wasn't my take from the review. If your right, then it would be helpful if the references to the dna amps were removed.

I've reconsidered selling the Wavelight and will be keeping it. Once Rockna has checked it out and corrected any hardware issues I will be looking for a different amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back