Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #6,766 of 7,132
I have a Gumby A1 with Unison USB. My transport is Raspberry Pi4 with Ropieee, so I'm using Roon. Some days it just sounds very soft or too laid back for rock music. I only mean like Dave Matthews Band, not even Metallica. I have to turn it up to 11 to enjoy it.

I know its probably me, but I'm wondering if Coax or BNC digital would sound better for music that drives a bit.

Am I crazy or has anyone else gone through this?

I was thinking of maybe getting Pi2AES board for the Raspberry Pi or possibly a different transport.

Thanks and happy new year.

Jan 1, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #6,767 of 7,132
@Brubacca there is a certain softening or bloom associated with Unision, combined with the slightly sweet sound of the Gungnir Multibit. I was listening to this exact thing recently and was surprised to hear a little less of that softening by doing what you suggest, connecting to either the COAX or BNC instead of USB. Pi2AES could further move the needle due to its detailed sound. But these are still minor tweaks in the realm of component changes.

Jan 1, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #6,768 of 7,132
@Brubacca there is a certain softening or bloom associated with Unision, combined with the slightly sweet sound of the Gungnir Multibit. I was listening to this exact thing recently and was surprised to hear a little less of that softening by doing what you suggest, connecting to either the COAX or BNC instead of USB. Pi2AES could further move the needle due to its detailed sound. But these are still minor tweaks in the realm of component changes.
I like the softness with a lot of music I listen too. Listening to the likes of Jack Johnson , James Taylor... you probably get it where I am going with it. Sometimes I do want a bit of bite to the music, but it would be either coax or another inexpensive DAC like modi+ or ModiMultibit 2

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #6,769 of 7,132
I do have Pi2AES and it is an excellent solution. But for a small footprint option, especially if you just want to flip back and forth between USB and COAX on your Gungnir, the iFi ZEN Stream is a good option, and what I was using to A/B.

I'm still trying to form my thoughts on Modi+ or Modi Multibit 2. A lot of it depends. MM2 is likely more lively in the highs versus Gungnir, however the power supply in the Gungnir keeps the lows more stately (accurate, quick, strong) and softer on MM2. Modi+ is where my descriptors really stumble a little, because in some ways it is more and in other ways it is less. Whereas the switch from Gungnir to MM2 is easier to describe, being in a similar realm of sound, the same switch to D/S in Modi+ causes many other things to happen to the sound. The amount of treble is less than MM2, but subjectively the treble can be heard as better-sounding, more pleasing from MM2 (read as harsher, and a little more grating from Modi+). And when you add Unison to the mix, I heard the MM2 as further pleasing relative to the Modi+. So perhaps the Modi+ is the kind of sound you are seeking to rock out on, and it would be less of a price to purchase for an experiment.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #6,770 of 7,132
I do have Pi2AES and it is an excellent solution. But for a small footprint option, especially if you just want to flip back and forth between USB and COAX on your Gungnir, the iFi ZEN Stream is a good option, and what I was using to A/B.

I'm still trying to form my thoughts on Modi+ or Modi Multibit 2. A lot of it depends. MM2 is likely more lively in the highs versus Gungnir, however the power supply in the Gungnir keeps the lows more stately (accurate, quick, strong) and softer on MM2. Modi+ is where my descriptors really stumble a little, because in some ways it is more and in other ways it is less. Whereas the switch from Gungnir to MM2 is easier to describe, being in a similar realm of sound, the same switch to D/S in Modi+ causes many other things to happen to the sound. The amount of treble is less than MM2, but subjectively the treble can be heard as better-sounding, more pleasing from MM2 (read as harsher, and a little more grating from Modi+). And when you add Unison to the mix, I heard the MM2 as further pleasing relative to the Modi+. So perhaps the Modi+ is the kind of sound you are seeking to rock out on, and it would be less of a price to purchase for an experiment.
Thanks for the details. Its really helpful. I have a tube amp and ribbon tweeter speakers from Monitor Audio (a brand known to be a bit treble forward). I'm in a small room with not a ton of bass anyway (2x 4" drivers).

Its a tough call as I can really only do one: Modi+, MM2 or Pi2AES Lite. I have an extra input on my Amp so 2 dacs isn't the worst either.

Thanks again for the descriptors as they are quite helpful.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #6,771 of 7,132
I have a tube amp and ribbon tweeter speakers from Monitor Audio (a brand known to be a bit treble forward). I'm in a small room with not a ton of bass anyway (2x 4" drivers).
Speakers kind of changes the equation for me. Though I've not used Modi+ for speakers, the foundation that Gungnir (and Yggdrasil) create are phenomenal on speakers. Even Bifrost 2 (OG not the 2/64) lost a little something to the foundation of sound that I heard from Gungnir.

I'm also just plain curious to read about Pi2AES-LITE! With Gungnir, you don't have a need for the additional AES/EBU interface. Connect a BNC cable to the LITE and hopefully it sings!

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #6,772 of 7,132
@sheldaze I've got Modi MB, MM2, Gungnir MB/A2U, and BF 2/64 if you want to come over and hear them on speakers. My door is always open to you.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #6,773 of 7,132
I have a Pi2AES with a Gungnir A2 (USB Gen 5). I use it with a speaker configuration and I like the result so much. In my configuration, the Pi2AES BNC output is better than the USB: better definition, clarity, instrument separation and soundstage.
The Pi2AES Lite can be a good choice for those who have already a Rpi.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #6,774 of 7,132
I threw in an old Oppo DVD player to use as a transport. Fed my Gumby coax digital signal and tried a couple CDs. Definitely a bit more focused and detailed over the Coax. Maybe too bright, but that could be the OPPO. Need to listen some more, but this may lead me to the Pi2AES- Lite. I also have an old Squeezebox Touch that I can throw in the mix and try the Coax. Going to do some more listening,

Jan 7, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #6,775 of 7,132
Just picked up a Gumby MB w/Unison... using the coax out of my Denon 955 player then RCAs to my Anthem and yeah, music is engaging.

Need to get a Pi for streaming but haven't pulled the trigger due to cost. Was told to get a Pi 4 due to better USB, but reading the above, maybe a Pi3 with Pi2AES is another option (Pi 3 easier/cheaper to get). Whoa, that hat is $250.

Speakers are B&W CDM 1NT, I don't think they're bright, but they are crispier than Boston VR30s.

Denon 955 > Gungnir > Anthem MRX520 > CDM 1NT
Using an old Tribituries coax cable and some Audioquest SE to the AVR. Tellurium Q Black speaker cables.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #6,776 of 7,132
@ScrapIron
I am observing that you are experiencing a similar situation when I started to use a streamer in my system. I would like to share the steps of my journey with you.

1) Rpi4 (USB) + Low profile cooler: https://geekworm.com/products/raspb...e-compatible-with-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-only
2) Add a Pi2AES (BNC)
3) Add a 24V Linear Power Supply

In all these steps I had an improvement in the audio quality. In the step 1) It took me some time to learn how to setup properly the RPi OS and the streaming services. (Currenty I am using MoOde).

Another options to consider are two new streamers on the market that are more expensive, but it will make your journey easier and with better sound quality.
a) Mercury V2 - https://www.pi2design.com/mercury-streamer-v2.html
b) HoloAudio Red - https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-red-ddc-network-streamer/

Gungnir is a great DAC and it needs to have a good streamer to demonstrate its full potential.

Good auditions!

QJA
Marcos

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6,777 of 7,132
Thanks Marco- just the info to help me get started!

Appreciate the suggestions of alternates- but that’s outside what I want to spend. Agree on getting a LPS. Any recommendations?

Do I need a Pi2AES (BNC)? Is the USB not sufficient?

Jan 7, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #6,778 of 7,132
I consider that is better to start with the RPi4 USB option at this stage. Based on all information that I read, the Gungnir USB Unison is a significant upgrade over the Gen5 that I have.

In the future consider a 5V Linear Power Supply to feed the RPi4. I have used the following one in the past, terminated with an USB-C connector.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804461813213.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.23.d94a5ecf430xl2&algo_pvid=9a8e3d0d-6576-4409-aa4c-2da2d7375e40&algo_exp_id=9a8e3d0d-6576-4409-aa4c-2da2d7375e40-11&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000029971643032"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!BRL!563.59!563.59!!!!!@21021aa216731278137392680d0701!12000029971643032!sea&curPageLogUid=bM9xL4pcRzI6&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Verify if they can supply the power cable terminated with a USB-C connector. If you need a high quality one you can buy one at genthaudio.

Edited: The correct link for this power supply DC connector is the following below (select Oyaide DC 2.5G):
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc29.html

Regards,

QJA

Marcos

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #6,779 of 7,132
Good- I’ll start with USB. I will also look at a linear lower supply. Just gotta pay the premium on an RPI 4. 🥲

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #6,780 of 7,132
Thanks Marco- just the info to help me get started!

Appreciate the suggestions of alternates- but that’s outside what I want to spend. Agree on getting a LPS. Any recommendations?

You might check out Swagman Labs for an LPS :http://www.swagmanlab.com/Linear-Power-Supplies

Very highly regarded power supplies. Using one for my W4S reclocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back