Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #152,266 of 153,859
So, all this Qobuz talk/recommendations got me to thinking…

Could I just subscribe to Qobux, and then take a USB C from my iPad Pro to the USB in on my Yggy? I’ve tested it with free YouTube, and it worked (of course the Sound Quality wasn’t ideal).

Would I literally need nothing else? I know I’d be subject to battery life, but I’d not likely have too many sessions that would run into that limit.

I have NO ripped music on hard drives of any kind whatsoever, so think don’t also need Roon?

PS: I am still loving Yggy
It's possible somebody already responded but utilize whatever Camera Connector kit from Apple it is that works with your iPad, preferably one that has an additional port to charge your iPad while it's playing.

Something like this, though this one is for a lighting device like my phone.:
IMG_7430.jpeg

May 18, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #152,267 of 153,859
I love me a good Riesling. A local winery makes one of my favorites.
For our honeymoon, my wife and I spent 2 weeks touring Germany. First week was at the resort hotel/estate of Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt (on the Mosel, pretty far upriver near Dhron… they make Rieslings to this day to die for, IF you know what to look for and the right levels of quality.

We’re fans of literally all the good stuffs, but prefer excellent Spaetlese’s, perfect balance of fruit, sweet, and tart. Moderate abv around 8 to 9… special occasions the Auslesen (or beyond!)…. General quaffing, Kabinett’s. They have some epic/historic vineyards, like a personal favorite: Schartzhofberg. But, frankly, almost anything from the Moselle/Saar/Ruwer is epic if QMP or above.

I was first exposed to Rieslings in Germany in 1976, aged 17 on my first trip as an exchange student for the summer (a record heat year). I later on, when starting on my wine collecting journey in earnest in the mid 80’s was able to score several 1976 Trocken Beeren Auslesen… several of which I still have not yet opened. Others I have already, and you wanna talk “nectar of the Gods”….

Yeah, so whilst for example tonight we’re gonna have a nice California Zin with our just picked-up at the local smokehouse pulled pork (Texas style), and brisket (Same), we’ll dive into our (sadly) slowly dwindling stash of excellent Rieslings (vintages from the 70’s through 2020 or so). Unlike most (not all) white wines, Rieslings, if quality and made in traditional German style, age extremely well. This is also true of the dry and half-dry (Troken, and Halb-Trocken respectively) Rieslings, but to a lesser extent.

Another shocker, in Upstate NY around the Finger Lakes, there are several world-class Riesling producers, Konstantine Frank, Wagner (no relation)…

Riesling (in my 40+ years global wine experience) has the MOST “Terroir-effect” of ANY wine, bar none. Hence the incredible “morcelization” of all the plots and subplots… e.g. our favorite Schartzhofberger, is literally (IIRC, to lazy to look up now and on a roll) only maybe 2 acres… on a slate covered hillside facing south. Same grapes from 1/4 mile away taste totally differently. You can quite easily taste the “slatey-ness” on the palate… Or, the “oily-ness” of Rheingau, or….

I’ll stop. I’m actually thankful most Americans have NO CLUE that Riesling can, and if quality DOES blow Chardonnay into the weeds, especially for food pairing versatility.

<phew. Back now>

Dvorark’s 7th Mercury/Dorati (from the late 50’s) into Yggy… while we re-warm the BBQ.

Thank you @Jason Stoddard and all of Schiit for the amazing excellence and value your products have re-introduced into my life. Digital is finally real music in my system after 35 years of chasing…

May 18, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #152,268 of 153,859
It's possible somebody already responded but utilize whatever Camera Connector kit from Apple it is that works with your iPad, preferably one that has an additional port to charge your iPad while it's playing.

Something like this, though this one is for a lighting device like my phone.:
IMG_7430.jpeg
THANK YOU

May 18, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #152,269 of 153,859
For our honeymoon, my wife and I spent 2 weeks touring Germany. First week was at the resort hotel/estate of Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt (on the Mosel, pretty far upriver near Dhron… they make Rieslings to this day to die for, IF you know what to look for and the right levels of quality.

We’re fans of literally all the good stuffs, but prefer excellent Spaetlese’s, perfect balance of fruit, sweet, and tart. Moderate abv around 8 to 9… special occasions the Auslesen (or beyond!)…. General quaffing, Kabinett’s. They have some epic/historic vineyards, like a personal favorite: Schartzhofberg. But, frankly, almost anything from the Moselle/Saar/Ruwer is epic if QMP or above.

I was first exposed to Rieslings in Germany in 1976, aged 17 on my first trip as an exchange student for the summer (a record heat year). I later on, when starting on my wine collecting journey in earnest in the mid 80’s was able to score several 1976 Trocken Beeren Auslesen… several of which I still have not yet opened. Others I have already, and you wanna talk “nectar of the Gods”….

Yeah, so whilst for example tonight we’re gonna have a nice California Zin with our just picked-up at the local smokehouse pulled pork (Texas style), and brisket (Same), we’ll dive into our (sadly) slowly dwindling stash of excellent Rieslings (vintages from the 70’s through 2020 or so). Unlike most (not all) white wines, Rieslings, if quality and made in traditional German style, age extremely well. This is also true of the dry and half-dry (Troken, and Halb-Trocken respectively) Rieslings, but to a lesser extent.

Another shocker, in Upstate NY around the Finger Lakes, there are several world-class Riesling producers, Konstantine Frank, Wagner (no relation)…

Riesling (in my 40+ years global wine experience) has the MOST “Terroir-effect” of ANY wine, bar none. Hence the incredible “morcelization” of all the plots and subplots… e.g. our favorite Schartzhofberger, is literally (IIRC, to lazy to look up now and on a roll) only maybe 2 acres… on a slate covered hillside facing south. Same grapes from 1/4 mile away taste totally differently. You can quite easily taste the “slatey-ness” on the palate… Or, the “oily-ness” of Rheingau, or….

I’ll stop. I’m actually thankful most Americans have NO CLUE that Riesling can, and if quality DOES blow Chardonnay into the weeds, especially for food pairing versatility.

<phew. Back now>

Dvorark’s 7th Mercury/Dorati (from the late 50’s) into Yggy… while we re-warm the BBQ.

Thank you @Jason Stoddard and all of Schiit for the amazing excellence and value your products have re-introduced into my life. Digital is finally real music in my system after 35 years of chasing…
I have never been a huge fan of Chardonnay myself. 😁

May 18, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #152,270 of 153,859
Chick wine…
(Seriously, good French ones can be (expensively) awesome). Most Californians, meh. So formulaic until you get to big-bucks. Try Chuck Wagner’s (again, alas, no relation, is this a theme?) Mer et Soleil… about the cheapest we’ll even consider. And it’s not cheap.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #152,271 of 153,859
THANK YOU
I am swamped today but tomorrow I will try a couple cable combinations with an IPad Pro, I have an extra DAC or three laying around and it might be an upgrade for my shop system. 😁

May 18, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #152,272 of 153,859
Chick wine…
(Seriously, good French ones can be (expensively) awesome). Most Californians, meh. So formulaic until you get to big-bucks. Try Chuck Wagner’s (again, alas, is this a theme?) Mer et Soleil… about the cheapest we’ll even consider. And it’s not cheap.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Most of the wine I order is French, Italian or German but occasionally we will have a Californian viognier as an inexpensive table wine.

May 18, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #152,273 of 153,859
Yeah, so being rather committed to Vinyl at this point in life (my Jazz and Classical collection is NOT going anywhere, thank you!), I can either (as I did the other day) continue to try and keep scoring CD’s of great music well recorded…. Or, I can succumb to the convenience succubus of streaming… because now I’ve Yggy…

Seriously, I finally can ISTEN into a freaking symphony without CRINGING… or, to paraphrase Mike Moffat… about 99% less sound of AZZ…

So, for subscription fee, why not give it a go w/o buying yet more new hardware that’ll just piss off the missus because it clutters our space… I just had to replace my iPad Pro last month; my previous one literally wore out the USB-C socket, and I could no longer charge it, I’m keeping it, because I am sure I can find somewhere to repair that (it’s otherwise fine and only 3 years old). I figure it can become my new “streamer interface, etc.”…

I’ll pickup the proper iPad adapter so’s I can simultaneously charge and stream probably next week (it’s on the way whilst I move stuffs for my 82 year old mother in law who is getting married and moving households - yes, and she’s spry enough to kick pretty much any 70 year olds AZZ!).

I’m at least 2 years away from getting organized and de-cluttered (after 2 cross country house-hold moves in 4 years) enough to setup my (pales to your level) wood shop again. Alas, thanks to this nasty and aggressive hand-arthritis never again to the previous levels - hell, building the wine cellar in the basement this year stretched me worryingly).

Please report your results, as will I. I love that Yggy is so scalable.

May 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #152,274 of 153,859
Did @bcowen give his view of the GE 5670 and I missed it? 🤪

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #152,277 of 153,859
Goes double for cheap Pinot Grigio...

Amarone and Barolo are my preferences, wife likes sweet Kabinetts - we both like Sauternes and LBV Port - but the diet is crimping the frequency of enjoyment....

May 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #152,278 of 153,859
May 18, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #152,279 of 153,859
Seems like everybody’s on the edge of their (toilet) seats waiting for someone to put a noval GE in Vali 3. Nota bene: That would include Azzy and I… 😎🥸🤫😉

May 18, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #152,280 of 153,859
Seems like everybody’s on the edge of their (toilet) seats waiting for someone to put a noval GE in Vali 3. Nota bene: That would include Azzy and I… 😎🥸🤫😉
I ran one the last two days and I am loving it.😁 Not an expensive tube but it lacks little IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back