Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #152,296 of 153,859
iPad - USB-c port > Belkin (USB-c audio pass through with charger USB-c port) digital audio to Urd Unison > Urd Unison to Yggy+ OG Unison input.
IMG_9562.jpeg
Thanks! Sorry I put you on the spot.

May 18, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #152,297 of 153,859
Lol! I'm surprised that you know who hasn't yet commented that I have wine in a bottle instead of a box. He's probably taking his before dinner nap. 🤣 🤣
Is it nap time already? Is ten a day too many? You might remember I sent you and your wife bottles of wine when you lost a bet to me. You had to go out and buy a cork screw instead of a box cutter.😂😂😂

May 18, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #152,298 of 153,859
Is it nap time already? Is ten a day too many? You might remember I sent you and your wife bottles of wine when you lost a bet to me. You had to go out and buy a cork screw instead of a box cutter.😂😂😂
I'm not allowed to have sharp objects. I'll ask the wife what she did. 🤣

May 18, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #152,299 of 153,859
Happy Saturday evening to my Schitty friends.

Lovin' me some ZZ Top, a Jalapeno infused Tequila margarita with Ginger Beer, and fresh socks (with fresh dog hair).

(Dogs are not allowed in the music room, but the rest of the house is their domain. 🙄)

1000005793.jpg

**All that's missing to complete my rig is an Urd CD transport and an unobtanium Sol turntable.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #152,300 of 153,859

Lovin' me some ZZ Top, a Jalapeno infused Tequila margarita with Ginger Beer, and fresh socks.

My favorite ZZ Top tune (even if whoever posted it on YouTube can't spell Planet Of Women). Also: on my bucket list to visit. 🤣

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #152,302 of 153,859
I'm a bigger fan of ZZ Top's older / bluesier stuff.

(If 'Manic Mechanic' ain't their worst cut I don't know what is. 🙄)

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #152,303 of 153,859
I'm a bigger fan of ZZ Top's older / bluesier stuff.

(If 'Manic Mechanic' ain't their worst cut I don't know what is. 🙄)
I like their old stuff and their new stuff. But they had a phase in the 80s when they went too far into that synth sound for me, I can do without that.

May 18, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #152,304 of 153,859
I do ports in the winter and I must say my wife and I used to drink a lot of Sauternes, did they fall out of favor? I just do not see them much anymore.

Here is what I found. “ AI Overview
Learn more

Sauternes, a sweet wine from Bordeaux, has seen decades of declining sales. The wine has also been affected by a decline in interest in sweet wines in general. However, some say that the public hasn't lost its sweet tooth.”
The only times I have brushed up against Sauterenes is while drinking whiskies (American and Scottish) that have graced the inside of an empty Sauternes cask for a time. They were delicious! Makes me and my sweet tooth wanna try the wine.

May 18, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #152,305 of 153,859
I love me a good Riesling. A local winery makes one of my favorites.

For our honeymoon, my wife and I spent 2 weeks touring Germany. First week was at the resort hotel/estate of Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt (on the Mosel, pretty far upriver near Dhron… they make Rieslings to this day to die for, IF you know what to look for and the right levels of quality.

We’re fans of literally all the good stuffs, but prefer excellent Spaetlese’s, perfect balance of fruit, sweet, and tart. Moderate abv around 8 to 9… special occasions the Auslesen (or beyond!)…. General quaffing, Kabinett’s. They have some epic/historic vineyards, like a personal favorite: Schartzhofberg. But, frankly, almost anything from the Moselle/Saar/Ruwer is epic if QMP or above.

I was first exposed to Rieslings in Germany in 1976, aged 17 on my first trip as an exchange student for the summer (a record heat year). I later on, when starting on my wine collecting journey in earnest in the mid 80’s was able to score several 1976 Trocken Beeren Auslesen… several of which I still have not yet opened. Others I have already, and you wanna talk “nectar of the Gods”….

Yeah, so whilst for example tonight we’re gonna have a nice California Zin with our just picked-up at the local smokehouse pulled pork (Texas style), and brisket (Same), we’ll dive into our (sadly) slowly dwindling stash of excellent Rieslings (vintages from the 70’s through 2020 or so). Unlike most (not all) white wines, Rieslings, if quality and made in traditional German style, age extremely well. This is also true of the dry and half-dry (Troken, and Halb-Trocken respectively) Rieslings, but to a lesser extent.

Another shocker, in Upstate NY around the Finger Lakes, there are several world-class Riesling producers, Konstantine Frank, Wagner (no relation)…

Riesling (in my 40+ years global wine experience) has the MOST “Terroir-effect” of ANY wine, bar none. Hence the incredible “morcelization” of all the plots and subplots… e.g. our favorite Schartzhofberger, is literally (IIRC, to lazy to look up now and on a roll) only maybe 2 acres… on a slate covered hillside facing south. Same grapes from 1/4 mile away taste totally differently. You can quite easily taste the “slatey-ness” on the palate… Or, the “oily-ness” of Rheingau, or….

I’ll stop. I’m actually thankful most Americans have NO CLUE that Riesling can, and if quality DOES blow Chardonnay into the weeds, especially for food pairing versatility.

<phew. Back now>

Dvorark’s 7th Mercury/Dorati (from the late 50’s) into Yggy… while we re-warm the BBQ.

Thank you @Jason Stoddard and all of Schiit for the amazing excellence and value your products have re-introduced into my life. Digital is finally real music in my system after 35 years of chasing…
My wife lived in Germany for a few years, was there when the wall came down, and got her love of Reisling there. Very familiar with Mosel. Our grafted vines are from the Finger Lakes region

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #152,306 of 153,859
You are such a temptress, as a Schiit salesman. Lol! The Yggy! Have been digital for a while now. No streaming as of yet. Ticks me off, monthly subscriptions. I hear the difference of a 16 bit CD and a 24 bit hi res track for sure, but I have never used a DAC to listen to anything....
PS. Is the Bowmoreman a scotch reference? My father in law loved it, if that what it refers to.
My frame of reference is that for $12.99/mo - $155.88/year, Qobuz grants me unlimited access to virtually every piece of music in every genre ever recorded. That makes the cost paltry to the point of being almost free. And it sounds awesome, too.

We also have the benefit of the music streaming industry being quite different from the video streaming industry in that rarely do albums or songs disappear. I am utterly tired of the frequency in which movies and shows are suddenly unavailable anywhere and for no reason. :angry:

May 18, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #152,307 of 153,859
See pic: I wonder if I could get Jason to move the volume knob or the headphone jack? And how am I going to mount this under the desk--I just bought the bracket!>:!>

Listening to Lisa Hannigan, Moon River

Moon River
What sweet Hell is this. I am quoting me-self? Well, reading the responses to this post I wonder if some missed the little "N" next to "Magni" on my Magni Piety. Wonderful amp. But, the Vali 3, with the headphone connection out of the way that some recommended...well I read a review and had read Jason's introduction on this forum, and it is tempting. Besides, I need something to put this crank on.
Did that come off an old fishing reel? 😁
It might have, but a few years ago I bought a Celestron Orange Tube C8. (Warning! Astronomy speek.) The round stock knob to adjust the DEC setting had been replaced with this crank. This represents a 2 x diameter and then something involving pi resulting in one rotation of this crank moving the DEC setting a bunch more than the stock knob. Quite useful for that.

May 18, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #152,308 of 153,859

Lovin' me some ZZ Top, a Jalapeno infused Tequila margarita with Ginger Beer, and fresh socks (with fresh dog hair).

(Dogs are not allowed in the music room, but the rest of the house is their domain. 🙄)

1000005793.jpg

**All that's missing to complete my rig is an Urd CD transport and a the unobtanium Sol turntable.
Nice setup!

May 18, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #152,309 of 153,859
Jimmy Haslip first came onto my Jazz radar as part of one of my favorite groups -- Yellowjackets. He has quite a catalog of efforts outside of Yellowjackets, however -- all good. It was a toss-up between this one and 'Arc', but it came up heads, so this is tonight's pick. Enjoy!!

Tonight's Jazz recommendation (Trio / Loco)...

JazzReco-14.jpg

May 18, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #152,310 of 153,859
Unicomp® builds a Mini-M? I've a DIY project involving Logitech® Romer-G® switches: Tactile on the one Control, two Shift, and two Alt; Clicky everywhere else. Prototype JIS keyboard for the 東宣北米神聖教會 OMS (viz., Oriental Missionary Society) Holiness Church of North America, a Wesleyan conference offshot from majority Methodism. In addition to one Escape and twelve PF keys on top, I've requirement for nine Program Command and one Control keys to left; Reset, left Alt, 逆変換 Prev Kanzi, 空口 Space, 変換 Next Kanzi, 仮名 Kana/alt-羅馬字 Rōmazi, right Alt, and Enter on the spacebar row. The balance is for a Japanese extrapolation o' the Livermore Keyboard.
Other than the question, I don't understand any of that! :smile:
Unicomp makes a few models of buckling spring keyboards.

There's another company that makes a replica of the original IBM Model-F keyboard. They essentially use the same "engineering diagrams" then use modern materials etc. That keyboard takes a long time to make and is like $400-600. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ate-ibms-iconic-model-f-for-modern-computers/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back