Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #23,521 of 150,169
I'd rather they concentrate on the half-width Vidar and the upcoming turntable.
Did I miss something? Vidar already has what many would consider to be a half width chassis. Jason has written about considering a desk top amp and didn't think it was commercially viable.

It is all about speaker cable length and capacitance. In Mono mode, driving a 4Ohm load, I am guessing you need at least 15 feet.
Schiit doesn't say anything about minimum cable length. The company Bryston recommends speaker cables to be as short as possible: http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html (scroll down to "How does the length and resistance of your loud-speaker cables effect your audio system?").

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #23,522 of 150,169
Did I miss something? Vidar already has what many would consider to be a half width chassis. Jason has written about considering a desk top amp and didn't think it was commercially viable.

Schiit doesn't say anything about minimum cable length. The company Bryston recommends speaker cables to be as short as possible: http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html (scroll down to "How does the length and resistance of your loud-speaker cables effect your audio system?").[/QUOT.[/QUOTE

Bryston? A totally different amplifier design....

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #23,523 of 150,169
I am almost certain this might be user set up incompetence.

It is all about speaker cable length and capacitance. In Mono mode, driving a 4Ohm load, I am guessing you need at least 15 feet.

It seems the cables that cause the amp to shut down, in mono mode, were 8 foot pairs. How long was the Monster cable?

Interesting. I've never seen an amplifier specify a minimum length for speaker cables before, and the only time I've seen capacitance brought up was for phono cables. Luckily my Vidar cables are 15 ft. :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #23,524 of 150,169
Interesting. I've never seen an amplifier specify a minimum length for speaker cables before, and the only time I've seen capacitance brought up was for phono cables. Luckily my Vidar cables are 15 ft. :)

Olded Naim amplifiers required you to use a pair of their own speaker cable and I beleive the min length was either 3.5 meter or 5 meter. Forget if it was a high or low capacitance cable. Other cables of the wrong type could cause their amps to go unstable. Something about the capacitance of the cable being part of the design of the amp.

I also remember a few years ago there was a diy cable recipe that either used cat 5 wire or called for braiding cable like a cat 5. This resulted in some amps going unstable.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #23,525 of 150,169
Olded Naim amplifiers required you to use a pair of their own speaker cable and I beleive the min length was either 3.5 meter or 5 meter. Forget if it was a high or low capacitance cable. Other cables of the wrong type could cause their amps to go unstable. Something about the capacitance of the cable being part of the design of the amp.

I also remember a few years ago there was a diy cable recipe that either used cat 5 wire or called for braiding cable like a cat 5. This resulted in some amps going unstable.

I'd like for Jason to weigh in on this, as I have never heard of this before. Is it really "a thing"? Can't see how with my admittedly poor knowledge of these matters, but I have had a number of amps and speaker combos over the years, and never given a backward glance to speaker cable capacitance or such things

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #23,526 of 150,169
I'd like for Jason to weigh in on this, as I have never heard of this before. Is it really "a thing"? Can't see how with my admittedly poor knowledge of these matters, but I have had a number of amps and speaker combos over the years, and never given a backward glance to speaker cable capacitance or such things

Ditto.
While different speaker cables "may" exhibit different subtle sonic characteristics (or not) with different designs and lengths I've never run into an issue over 50 years using dynamics, electrostatics, or ribbon speakers.
Maybe specific to balanced configurations versus SE?
Curious to know myself.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #23,527 of 150,169
Olded Naim amplifiers required you to use a pair of their own speaker cable and I beleive the min length was either 3.5 meter or 5 meter. Forget if it was a high or low capacitance cable. Other cables of the wrong type could cause their amps to go unstable. Something about the capacitance of the cable being part of the design of the amp....

They needed low capacitance cables but with higher inductance, they did not have output inductors (unlike Vidar) and needed > 3.5M long cables of the specified type to supply the inductance required for stability. (or so I heard).

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #23,528 of 150,169
Off the Vidar stuff for a bit, I installed the USB 5 board in my Yggy last night and listened to some tracks I was very familiar with this morning. This is a significant upgrade over the prior board. The improved clarity was impressive. Instruments had more weight and a more three dimensional sound with better separation and depth. As always the case with noise, you don't what you have until it is gone. Superb job Mike.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #23,529 of 150,169
Can anyone please confirm or deny that a black Eitr is in the works? Come on, people. Sitting here with my credit card but it can't be silver!!!

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #23,531 of 150,169
It all has to do with the way the amp delivers current, and the speaker load.

99.9% chance if CA had used a stereo Vidar, he would have had no issues.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #23,532 of 150,169
I am almost certain this might be user set up incompetence.

It seems the cables that cause the amp to shut down, in mono mode, were 8 foot pairs. How long was the Monster cable?

This is interesting... I'm running my Vidar 4 ohm mono through a 1 meter (dual 10 gauge) cable and I haven't had any issues at all...

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #23,534 of 150,169
In my opinion, any amplifier manufacturer that "requires" a particular cable for its products must also be selling expensive cable. If the amplifier is so sensitive to load that the small additional impedance from a cable makes any significant difference to anything other than power, then what is it going to do when the dynamic loudspeaker attached to it swings from 1 ohm to 60 ohms depending on frequency? Freak out? Give me a break, please. :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #23,535 of 150,169
Speaker? Specs?

CA was using TADs and Focal, Both difficult loads.

Dynaudio Evidence centre

Sensitivity: 90dB (2,83V / 1m)
IEC Power Handling: 350W
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response (± 3 dB): 38Hz – 23kHz
Box Principle: Bass Reflex Rear Ported
Crossover: 3 (4) way
Crossover Frequencies Hz: 500, 2300, (5500)
Crossover Topology: 1st order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back