Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #23,536 of 150,104
Has anyone here yet used a Jil with Audacity for any kind of archiving?

Any all experiences MOST welcome
There were some challenges getting the setup correct the first time (audio playthru, bit rates matching). After that, it was a breeze.
And the resulting rips sound amazing.
Still playing with it though, only ripped one album so far. Many more planned.

I found myself ripping the same track half-dozen times to get the setting correct.
Play with it and have fun.

Dave

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #23,537 of 150,104
There were some challenges getting the setup correct the first time (audio playthru, bit rates matching). After that, it was a breeze.

I found myself ripping the same track half-dozen times to get the setting correct.

Dave
Thank you. My Jil is on the way....

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #23,538 of 150,104
Here for folks possibly interested in what Dirac can do for Room Correction...a whole thread that's several years old....There's a guy on there, Austin Jerry who is a master at set up of the Dirac DDRC 88A for those of you that can find this useful....he will help everyone who asks and also lists set-up guides...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-8-channel-ai-ao-dirac-live-box-455.html

Although you may be very pleased with the sound, you throw away the quality of the Yggdrasil.
By taking the analogue output of the Yggdrasil and digitizing it again via a ??? ADC chip and circuit. You loose quality.
Than after Dirac has done it's work you have to convert it again through a ??? DAC chip and circuit. Most likely the DAC chip is a Sigma Delta type! You loose quality.

This is IMO most definitely not the best setup to use because of the extra steps you have to take.
The MiniDSP site states nothing about the used components or the topology of the unit. Do you expect it to be of the Yggdrasil quality and technological design?

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #23,539 of 150,104
Although you may be very pleased with the sound, you throw away the quality of the Yggdrasil.
By taking the analogue output of the Yggdrasil and digitizing it again via a ??? ADC chip and circuit. You loose quality.
Than after Dirac has done it's work you have to convert it again through a ??? DAC chip and circuit. Most likely the DAC chip is a Sigma Delta type! You loose quality.

This is IMO most definitely not the best setup to use because of the extra steps you have to take.
The MiniDSP site states nothing about the used components or the topology of the unit. Do you expect it to be of the Yggdrasil quality and technological design?
This is not what he is doing if I understood correctly. He applies the DSP on the digital signal without conversion into analog and back. So the the signal remains digital and after the dsp is applied it goes into the DAC.
A much better way of doing things(in theory because I don`t have experience with it). Also a bit more expensive - may I add - than the cheapo miniDSP boxes.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #23,540 of 150,104
I am dubious about combining the use of room correcting software and worrying about multibit sources.

The whole point of Schiit's line of multibit DACs is that they are attempting to provide the original promise, "the closest approach to the original sound," if you will. They purport to extract all the very best of the original PCM signal by not interpolating any of the signal. I.e. not creating an approximation of the original signal, but using all of the original. By doing so they minimize or eliminate time- and frequency-domain based inaccuracies.

So now take a DSP*. Ingest all that good PCM information from your lossless file (or CD), chew it up, mess with the time-domain info, mess with the frequency-domain info, then spit out the resulting signal and send it to your Yggy or Gumby or Mimby. There is none of the original PCM information left to work with, so why are you spending extra to get it? You might as well stick with a non-multibit delta-sigma processor and save some money.

Or am I misunderstanding things?

*NOT the -A series which incorporates the ADC to DAC loop, just the -D series which never dips into the analogue domain.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #23,542 of 150,104
I am dubious about combining the use of room correcting software and worrying about multibit sources.

The whole point of Schiit's line of multibit DACs is that they are attempting to provide the original promise, "the closest approach to the original sound," if you will. They purport to extract all the very best of the original PCM signal by not interpolating any of the signal. I.e. not creating an approximation of the original signal, but using all of the original. By doing so they minimize or eliminate time- and frequency-domain based inaccuracies.

So now take a DSP*. Ingest all that good PCM information from your lossless file (or CD), chew it up, mess with the time-domain info, mess with the frequency-domain info, then spit out the resulting signal and send it to your Yggy or Gumby or Mimby. There is none of the original PCM information left to work with, so why are you spending extra to get it? You might as well stick with a non-multibit delta-sigma processor and save some money.

*NOT the -A series which incorporates the ADC to DAC loop, just the -D series which never dips into the analogue domain.
I didn`t get my head around it either. So I decided to keep my money in the pocket.(even when I was just looking at the cheap options)
Although I do see how it could be beneficial if you have a horrible room like I do, I didn`t see how to incorporate it into my setup in a way that my speakers would benefit but my headphones would remain un-DSP-ed without messing with cables everytime.
So that AND money in the pocket :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #23,543 of 150,104
This is not what he is doing if I understood correctly. He applies the DSP on the digital signal without conversion into analog and back. So the the signal remains digital and after the dsp is applied it goes into the DAC.
A much better way of doing things(in theory because I don`t have experience with it). Also a bit more expensive - may I add - than the cheapo miniDSP boxes.
This is what @LarryMagoo wrote: "The Yggy allows me to feed it the best possible analogue I can while using DSP to alter what my room does to the acoustics....It's an incredible system and it produces the finest Stereo sound I have heard in my 50 + years of appreciating the wonderful world of Music....from a Digital file server....!" So I think the A88 unit is behind the Yggdrasil

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #23,544 of 150,104

Good point here. The question is do you trust the guys who wrote the room correction software to do just a good a job as @Baldr does?
Fact remains that room acoustics have quite an amount of influence on the sound.
So if you original (unaltered) bits are precessed at it's best by Yggdrasil, Gungnir MultiBit or any other Schiit multibit DAC, the room still has it's say on the way it reaches your ears if you like it or not
I for one don't have an optimal acoustic listening room, so there you are.
Everything is a compromise and that's why we're still discussing here, because there is no black or white, no good or bad.

One thing that is good is that my Vidar's are arriving within 2 weeks now. Can't wait to hear them. The sound will be different from what I have now I assume and it will be MyFi that's the only thing that counts.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #23,545 of 150,104

Dave

Definitely make sure bitrates match. I've made a couple recordings that sounded like Chipmunks tributes to 70's German Prog Rock.

A half dozen times is about right, recalling the days of watching VU meters and recording to cassettes. Back then, Dolby and metal tape were the critical settings. Now we have bitrate and bit depth. I'm still ripping the same albums, but the results are much better.

Jon

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #23,546 of 150,104

Dave
Now I have an awkward question.
Do you have to play the record on the 33.33333 speed and digitize it in real time?
If yes, do you leave and lock the room when you do it?
The way I sneeze it would immediately register in the file.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #23,547 of 150,104
Do you have to play the record on the 33.33333 speed and digitize it in real time?
Yup, played at normal speed.
Sit back and listen to the album again, or set a timer and leave the room.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #23,548 of 150,104
I didn`t get my head around it either. So I decided to keep my money in the pocket.(even when I was just looking at the cheap options)
Although I do see how it could be beneficial if you have a horrible room like I do, I didn`t see how to incorporate it into my setup in a way that my speakers would benefit but my headphones would remain un-DSP-ed without messing with cables everytime.
So that AND money in the pocket :)

After trying digital domain DSPs I can tell you now I would never be without one again. Regarding the problem with headphones; all decent DSPs have a bypass mode so it turns all the room corrections off, that is what I do when I want to listen to headphones and I can't say that I have had any problems doing this.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #23,549 of 150,104
Great question. Wouldn't it be possible to play a standard LP at 45rpm and have the recording program adjust the speed? Kind of like half speed mastering in reverse? Not saying Audacity or Jil are set up for this. But could it technically be done in the future?

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #23,550 of 150,104
Think of the damage you would do to your vinyl. :astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back