Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #23,581 of 150,245
Right, so you can compensate with length. And that's assuming you can audibly appreciate that 5%. How come the 1/8th ratio used in speaker wires doesn't apply here?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one-page-2

If cables do anything, it's not to frequency or impulse responses. People cry "THD!!!". Good luck hearing a THD reduction when 'real' headphones rock a THD <1%.

If you want to continue this, let's jump to PMs :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #23,582 of 150,245
If you want to continue this, let's jump to PMs :)

Thank you. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Both sides have clearly stated their opinions. This is not the thread to take the discussion further.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #23,583 of 150,245
My audiophile confession: in the late 90's I started making real money and I went down the high-end rat hole. I at one time had a quarter million dollars tied up in my stereo system - almost 6 figures in my turntable. I was chasing what I thought was some ultimate expression of music and following bad advice from so-called experts. When I finally realized how foolish it all was, I sold everything and paid off the mortgage on my house. I started enjoying music again. I became much happier. And as much as I applaud Schiit for following the path to their turntable product and I wish them great success with Sol, I don't want one. :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #23,586 of 150,245
My audiophile confession: in the late 90's I started making real money and I went down the high-end rat hole. I at one time had a quarter million dollars tied up in my stereo system - almost 6 figures in my turntable. I was chasing what I thought was some ultimate expression of music and following bad advice from so-called experts. When I finally realized how foolish it all was, I sold everything and paid off the mortgage on my house. I started enjoying music again. I became much happier. And as much as I applaud Schiit for following the path to their turntable product and I wish them great success with Sol, I don't want one. :)
I must be making fake money :frowning2:
No way I could justify such numbers on anything that is not a solid investment.
Edit:
I did already confess that I used a roadkilled headphone I found and taped back to life with gaffertape . Oh! I had two differents speaker for some time too and an amp that was so underpowered that the powerlight went of and on on the beat. Also just using whatever wires lay around as speakercable. Hehehehe...that must sound like horror to some people.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #23,587 of 150,245
The most annoying by far with turntables is the constant random crackles and pops, together with the lack of bass due to specific mastering needs, the low signal/noise ratio.......the only TT I would care for is actually laser-powered, no physical contact: http://elpj.com/

How about a Schiitty laser TT? Now that would rule :)

With some nice wood glue cleaning, it'd make great digital captures: http://120studio.com/audio-woodglue2.jpg
If your records have random crackles and pops, you need to take better care of them, and probably get a proper record cleaner. Learn not to touch the grooves with your fingers. And though some poorly mixed/mastered records have limited bass, LPs can (and many do) have tremendous low bass. Lack of bass is not inherent in the format.

If you have ever heard a demo of the one actual laser turntable on the market now (the ELP) as I have, you realize just how critical cleaning records is. Records that play fairly silently on a conventional TT sound like a bowl of rice crispies on the laser table until they've been thoroughly cleaned, best done on an ultrasonic cleaner. I make do with a combination of a Spin Clean for prewash or bulk washing, and a Record Doctor (from Audio Advisor) for final washing and drying. Had a Nitty Gritty 2.5fi that worked really well, but it was stolen years ago, and to expensive to replace.

One thing people don't always realize, is that the ELP Laser turntable is an analog device, not digital. it does sound great on clean records.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #23,588 of 150,245
No way I could justify such numbers on anything that is not a solid investment.

Spending high-end levels of money is only possible when you don't have to justify it. When it's disposable. And bringing it back to Jason's car analogy, it's like people I know who buy themselves new Turbo Carreras whenever they feel depressed and consider them disposable vehicles.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #23,589 of 150,245
A suggestion for new product area that Schiit could disrupt majorly I think (probably suggested previously I realize):

AUTOMATIC ROOM CORECTION

Most people agree that your room is one of the most (if not the most) important factors for great sound in many situations. Yet most audio companies neglect to address it. Perhaps this is because DSP is not something that many audio companies have enough expertise in, or perhaps it's just really hard and expensive to develop good correction algorithms, I'm not sure, but the lack of choices out there, and the prices being charged for the ones that are currently available (very high) seems ripe for a Schiitruption.

Beginning room correction, Schitt-style:
mjolnir-wall.png

Too bad the Mjolnir product name is already taken. (OK, this is actually just a night-light from Target...)

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #23,590 of 150,245
Audiophile confession - Back when 8 tracks were popular, seems I always had to deal with tape spewing out the deck in my car. In the city I lived in there was a company called Tapetown. I would take the 8 tracks to them and they would put the tape back in the case. Looking back, seems like silly Schiit.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #23,592 of 150,245
I still have a cassette player/recorder, turntable and CD player. Audio Confession. I wasn't satisfied with the sound out of the plastic box turntable I had (1967) so I pre-amped the out puts into 2 marshall guitar amps. I had to hear Jimi the correct way, plus I played guitar at the time.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #23,594 of 150,245
Confession: I was a kid in the 60's and my folks had a Sears Silvertone record player with removable speakers. They distorted when played too loud so I would take the speakers off and lay them on the floor on either side of my head and lie down between them and listen. Stereo albums like Revolver and Pet Sounds were a revelation. And thus a headphone-o-phile was born!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back