Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #23,566 of 150,132
My system is optimized for my enjoyment of the Grateful Dead. Because at the end of the day (and in the beginning and middle, too) their music brings me the most bliss.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #23,567 of 150,132
Great chapter Jason. You didn't own a turntable for good reasons. Technically, you do own a turntable now. You own all of Schiit's turntables. There just may not be one at home. Kind of funny. You avoided owning turntables your whole life and now the built up "turntable force" has engulfed you. @Baldr is a powerful influence!

My audiophile confessions:
1. At 3-4 years old had one of those plastic turntables. Don't remember ever playing a record on it. What I remember is sitting on the platter and letting it spin me around. Poor thing lasted a couple weeks. Think of the records I saved!

2. Don't own all the albums of any multi album artist. Own 3 Beatles, 5 Rush, etc. The closest ecxception is Pink Floyd. Actually might own all their non greatest hits albums, but not even sure. I get bored quickly with too many similar sounding albums from the same artist.

Again great chapter. Good luck with the turntable. Hope it conquers the market.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #23,568 of 150,132
hey you you schists.

So called "reviewer" Herb Reichert schiits all over Schiit. It does not do MQA so it is yesterdays news:

"Schiit's reference DAC would be my reference DAC—if only it had MQA and emptier empty spaces."

"The Yggdrasil makes "Red Book" CDs sound a lot like MQA. But real MQA, via the Manhattan II, delivered cleaner, stronger, more obvious versions of all the Yggdrasil's strengths. Compared to Mytek's own Brooklyn DAC, the Manhattan II made MQA recordings feel as if they were emerging from vaster, deeper, more silent emptiness. And silent vastness is what we audiophiles must always pay extra for."

https://www.stereophile.com/content...eadphone-amplifier-page-2#4AFldeAgfyIPtDco.99

I call...BULLSchiit.

Because there is oh so much content that is re-mastered in mqa. BULL-Schiit x2.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #23,570 of 150,132
My confessions ?

I would never buy anything from anyone who do not believe in cables, period.

@Baldr believes in cables. In fact, Paul McGowan of PS Audio got turned on to the significance of cables by @Baldr, so all is well.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #23,571 of 150,132
Hopefully it has a built-in Mani!

My confessions ?

I would never buy anything from anyone who do not believe in cables, period.
Funny, I would never buy anything from anyone who believes in cables.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #23,572 of 150,132
The most annoying by far with turntables is the constant random crackles and pops, together with the lack of bass due to specific mastering needs, the low signal/noise ratio.......the only TT I would care for is actually laser-powered, no physical contact: http://elpj.com/

How about a Schiitty laser TT? Now that would rule :)

With some nice wood glue cleaning, it'd make great digital captures: http://120studio.com/audio-woodglue2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #23,574 of 150,132
The Future Laughs at You

“But wait a sec! CDs didn’t really work out for cars for, like, a long time after they were available in the home. So you kept using, like, tapes?”

Dodging your vomit, Yes.

Because, you know what? Even after CDs became semi-viable for cars (early systems skipped a lot, and had plenty of problems), CDs had a content problem.

I never got into vinyl for the same reason. My car audio addiction... and seeing if I could make myself deaf and shatter the windows when my subwoofers hit. It was a rare occasion when I could actually see out of the rear view mirror as it was usually shaking too much. I had some crappy Sony tape deck (it was really my parents car and I still can't believe they let me install all that stereo equipment) so I used one of those CD to tape monstrosities to play my Discman in the car. The Discman was one of those buffered models with the shock absorbing spindle so it could take a couple bumps before the music stopped. I was so proud of myself. Of course, I often caused it to skip myself because the bass was turned up so high, to get those subwoofers thumping, of course.

I'm actually surprised sometimes that I can still hear anything at all.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #23,575 of 150,132
Hopefully it has a built-in Mani!

Funny, I would never buy anything from anyone who believes in cables.

Perhap you can just run your headphones wires all around the house from your furnaces to appliances then ?

The reason I won't buy anything from people who don't believe in cables is because they don't even know enough about cables requirements and specifications to be trusted and working around these components, period. But let's save those for another section

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #23,577 of 150,132
I must confess that I'm a cable believer.:L3000:
I find that cables connect up all by gear so much better than string or elastic bands.....:ksc75smile:

Lol....there are only so much to cables that I witness, observed and believed in. For example, a $25,000 cables ? Nah....would I use Street pole wires for my headphones ? Nah.....knowledges and wisdom are human greatest attributes.

I confess that I came to the internet, and followed some people myths before, but it turned out many of those are faults.

1/ cables don't affect sound quality
2/ Stax lacks of bass
3/ All DAC is very close to one another...
4/ Amplifiers are all almost the same in performances
Etc...etc....

This hobby is a wonderful hobby, but to blindly believe stuff without experiencing it yourself.....that is as much deaf faith as blind faith...LoL

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #23,578 of 150,132
Perhap you can just run your headphones wires all around the house from your furnaces to appliances then ?

The reason I won't buy anything from people who don't believe in cables is because they don't even know enough about cables requirements and specifications to be trusted and working around these components, period. But let's save those for another section
Indeed, cables can make a world of difference given certain lengths and overall system impedance.... none of which practically manifest themselves in headphones. Tyll shot this to oblivion, it was amazing. They're also passive devices, so they can only attenuate signal.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #23,579 of 150,132
Indeed, cables can make a world of difference given certain lengths and overall system impedance.... none of which practically manifest themselves in headphones. Tyll shot this to oblivion, it was amazing. They're also passive devices, so they can only attenuate signal.

Example ? 2cm of 28Awg Copper conductor is 5% less conductive than 28Awg Silver conductor. Need I say more ?

PS: something more, what is a capacitor ? Layers of conductor-insulator-conductor in different polarities. So what is a Braided or twisted wires ? Isn't it the same as conductor-insulator-conductor ? What does Capacitors do ? Storing energies ? Filtering frequencies ? How about trying Capacitors in series for your headphones wires and see ? What about faraday cage affects ?

Hell, I don't know what I am talking about, but let's just say that I wouldn't buy anything from people who don't believe in cables

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #23,580 of 150,132
Let's keep this civil, or I'll be pruning some posts.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back