Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #34,501 of 152,847
So, some thoughts on the Sennheiser HD 280. First of I got mine for real cheap, new for $55 at a small electronics place that went under.:triportsad:

They are ugly plastic Cans, and most would think nothing of them, they'd be wrong. First they will block outside noise as much as 30 db, which make them good for mowing the yard or the like.

More importantly they sound great, with my Yggy/Jot they are absolute bass monsters, much more so than HD6xx. And a resolving neutral sound in the mids and treble. They sound whey better than they should.

For Hip Hop these will kill a pair of Beats, but they are so very ugly, so no one would ever take them seriously, they're loss :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #34,502 of 152,847
Listening recommendation for the weird, like me.

deadmau5 - where's the drop? ov Tidal HiFi :darthsmile:

Deadmau5_WTD_VinyllMockup_06_medium.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #34,503 of 152,847
I got good speakers first. Every time I put in a new piece of equipment I could hear a change. It is fun and addictive. Let me try this! No, that!

I think the meds are working now. All I need are even better speakers....

More speakers :ghost:

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #34,505 of 152,847
I got good speakers first. Every time I put in a new piece of equipment I could hear a change. It is fun and addictive. Let me try this! No, that!

I think the meds are working now. All I need are even better speakers....

Aye, I consider my current speakers to be good speakers (not great). I feel (subjectively) they aren't the weakest link. If I had a pair of speakers I thought were of lesser quality then my other components, I'd start with them first.

Kitchen system. This probably gets the most play time of any system in the house. Still waiting for Jason's desktop amp to power it though....

Those speakers look sweet. Thanks to all who shared the wharfedale love. I feel less emasculated and more validated about my speaker decision from 17ish years ago. They have aged well. Looking forward to the day a Vidar/saga/mimby system brings out everything they have to give, before I save up for lores or dirty weekends.

Question for @Ableza - You seem to be this threads discounter of speaker cables. What kind of cables do you use on your 2ch setup? I'm interested in exploring bi amping/bi wiring with single strand conductor cables for my low range transducers, to see if I can (subjectively) hear a difference. Respecting your previous posts, I am wondering what you consider to be a baseline set of cables to avoid degradation?
Agreeing and acknowledging that cables can't improve upon the sound, they can only limit degradation.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #34,508 of 152,847

Kitchen system. This probably gets the most play time of any system in the house. Still waiting for Jason's desktop amp to power it though....
Hum... is that a Pi + touchscreen with piCorePlayer in the middle? After a bit of messing around I was able to set one up with a USB SSD drive for music storage and no network (security constraints) for work, with a Pi2 Designs 502DAC feeding my work DAC & amp. I'm really happy with that setup.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #34,509 of 152,847
Hum... is that a Pi + touchscreen with piCorePlayer in the middle? After a bit of messing around I was able to set one up with a USB SSD drive for music storage and no network (security constraints) for work, with a Pi2 Designs 502DAC feeding my work DAC & amp. I'm really happy with that setup.
It IS a pi touchscreen. The backend is a Hifiberry Amp 2. It is running picoreplayer 3.5 and connects to the music server via WiFi.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #34,510 of 152,847
so are these coaster amps available? if so where are the pcb's for sale? im up for building one if so.

I have built a couple so I may be able to help if you have questions.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #34,511 of 152,847
Aye, I consider my current speakers to be good speakers (not great). I feel (subjectively) they aren't the weakest link. If I had a pair of speakers I thought were of lesser quality then my other components, I'd start with them first.

Those speakers look sweet. Thanks to all who shared the wharfedale love. I feel less emasculated and more validated about my speaker decision from 17ish years ago. They have aged well. Looking forward to the day a Vidar/saga/mimby system brings out everything they have to give, before I save up for lores or dirty weekends.

Question for @Ableza - You seem to be this threads discounter of speaker cables. What kind of cables do you use on your 2ch setup? I'm interested in exploring bi amping/bi wiring with single strand conductor cables for my low range transducers, to see if I can (subjectively) hear a difference. Respecting your previous posts, I am wondering what you consider to be a baseline set of cables to avoid degradation?
Agreeing and acknowledging that cables can't improve upon the sound, they can only limit degradation.

I use the same thing I've been using since my days as a THX cinema designer: 14 AWG zip cord unless the wire run is over 60 feet, then 12 AWG. Use CL-2 rated wire for in-wall installation.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #34,512 of 152,847
Very good information and there are several ratings above CL2 that are downward compatible but nothing more than CL2 is required for residential in wall usage. I only mention other cables in case you have some in a wall or laying around that are CMX, CMG,CL3, or CMP.... all meet or exceed the CL2 rating.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #34,513 of 152,847
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #34,514 of 152,847
We should have a moratorium two days a week, say Mondays and Thursdays where people can talk about anything they want and no one can complain. A day of cat photo's and pizza recipes and bicycle photos, computer photos...whatever. On those days no one has the right to say you are off topic, or this is not Schiit related, or there are two people talking and no one is paying attention to me. If there is useful information you are trying to find, it is best to not look for it on those days cause it will be buried. You would know to copy and paste or put useful info into a Word document prior to Mondays and Thursdays cause on those days people can post most anything. Just a thought.:ksc75smile: There are so many more important things going on in the world right now, like trying to mount a Coaster amp in a scotch bottle that there should be room for anyone, no matter what their preferences are.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #34,515 of 152,847
At least they aren't treating the thread as a personal blog....and they aren't posting cat pics!
Though I don’t agree with you on several things, I must admit that I prefer dogs. Constanza, avert your eyes!

42957284-A639-4EC5-8981-39ADCAAA7352.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back