Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #135,679 of 152,973
I enjoy them a lot, for their dual ribbon/dome tweeter configuration. There is something about the top octave or two that dome tweeters have veeeeery hard time with, according to my ears.

Mentor 2 at my place, Mentor 6 at my parents place, Ikon 7 that was previously at my parents place now at my youngest brothers place, our middle brother for a while had another pair of Mentor 6. And my hi-fi journey was started with a pair of Concept 1 driven by a Denon RCD-M31 as my first sizable own-money purchase at 10 years old.

I've listened more to DALI speakers than all other brands together. I'm not fond of their newer offerings without ribbons though. The old Concept series somehow got away with it to my ears, maybe just because it was my first serious system, maybe it was rolled off enough to not be a nuisance in the top octave. In general those speakers were easy to listen to, commiting many sins of omission but none of commission, they never seemed to do anything wrong - they were just limited. Very agreeable.

Nowadays it seems that presenting a lot of treble detail has been deemed more important than doing it right. Supplementing the domes with a ribbon still works wonders to achieve both. To my ears, in many rooms, with various Denon and Nad amplifiers mostly. Spanning more than 20 years. No Schiit amplification for mine yet, but a Gjallarhorn and eventually more is most likely in my future.

One of my hi-fi dreams is to spend some quality time listening to Megaline. I've never heard or seen them, but I've met some people who have. It's different in a whole other way than most non-standard speakers: it's a floor to ceiling line source.

https://dali.web01.prod.illumi.dk/nl/discontinued/megaline/
My DALI journey is not as long as yours, though I knew DALI for a long time. My first DALI is the Spektor 1 for my desktop at Feb 2021, then Oct same year got the Oberon 1, middle of 2023 got the Opticon 1 with good discount, and July got the Spektor 2 because it is on sale.

All my owned DALI sounds a bit different, even the Spektor 1 and 2. The best performer for me and fits my room iis the Opticon 1, sounds even nicer than the Menuet 6 to my ears.

All the DALIs I own doesn't produce lots of bass, but it is deep with good quality and lingers in the room. (my speakers are at the middle of the room, the back port is about 2 meters from the wall), normal listening level seldom exceed 75-80dB SPL.

And, I never listen to it before purchase. Same as Schiit.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #135,680 of 152,973
I believe that the Rega Exact cartridge has 3 point fixing so should be pretty much on the nail with alignment - My Rega RB300 arm ( circa first batch , purchased same week as release , early 1980's ) is really touchy on anti skate setting the adjuster was very non-linear increasing out of proportion as it was progressed - this caused similar distortion , - I found the adjuster only needed to be barely engaged on most cartridges
Interesting. Based on right channel, I was increasing, maybe I should try the reverse?

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #135,681 of 152,973
Interesting suggestion for a Super Yggdrasil on SBAF:

"Now with respect to a Super Yggdrasil? I will take the the MiB with A2/OG microdynamics. A fully discrete Jason designed output stage using insane high voltage power rails. Get rid of of the opamps for IV and output buffer. Maybe add x4 more chips for a total of 8. The existing motherboard, now going on NINE years, probably wouldn't be able to handle it. Will need a rework of power. I'd say $3899 - $4299. Add a richer/warmer/dark flavor too for Super Yggydrasil. Slot in Schiit's "CHORD", I mean Singularity product line into the Gungnir chassis, but add high-voltage Nexus in Kara as output stage so it doesn't sound so lean, or have two flavors there too: CHORD insano-articulation flavor and Mike rich-flavor."

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #135,682 of 152,973
One thing you sometimes see on other amps that Schiit hasn't done so far is adjustable output impedance. Like imagine if the Mjolnir 3, in addition to all the other toggles it has, also had a low z/high z switch and what that might do for Sennheiser or ZMF cans. Seems like a fun idea.

Also I never cared about the power switch being on the back and the lack of a trigger on Schiit devices until I considered getting a Vidar for my living room. With an amp that has a trigger, I can just plug it into my preamp--which is a Bluesound Node connected via HDMI to my TV, and then when I turn on the TV with the remote, the amp automatically turns on. With the Vidar I'd have to get up and physically switch it on before I could watch anything or listen to music. Particularly when you have kids and such that's pretty annoying; it seems like if Schiit's going to keep the power switches on the back, they should at least add trigger functionality to the power amps to make them more convenient. (I'm obviously not the first person to suggest this, but I'll throw my comments on the pile.)

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #135,683 of 152,973
I think it really snuck by pretty quickly here, but the Pietus Maximus is quite good. Currently using with Modius E and ZMF Atticus (and Auteur Classic) but have heard BF2 OG with Atriums is great so that will be next.
One of the nicest pairings to date with my ZMF VC's is via the Piety (the OC small one) and the Schiit Modius E Dac. A week with the MB2 and then the Modius E.
Even though I love the MB2 the Modius E just makes thing so clear and transparent...with most music I listen to,

So many great flavors.

I never thought I would look at a DS dac again.
Looking forward to listening with a higher end Schiit DS dac....soon!

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #135,684 of 152,973
One thing you sometimes see on other amps that Schiit hasn't done so far is adjustable output impedance. Like imagine if the Mjolnir 3, in addition to all the other toggles it has, also had a low z/high z switch and what that might do for Sennheiser or ZMF cans. Seems like a fun idea.

Also I never cared about the power switch being on the back and the lack of a trigger on Schiit devices until I considered getting a Vidar for my living room. With an amp that has a trigger, I can just plug it into my preamp--which is a Bluesound Node connected via HDMI to my TV, and then when I turn on the TV with the remote, the amp automatically turns on. With the Vidar I'd have to get up and physically switch it on before I could watch anything or listen to music. Particularly when you have kids and such that's pretty annoying; it seems like if Schiit's going to keep the power switches on the back, they should at least add trigger functionality to the power amps to make them more convenient. (I'm obviously not the first person to suggest this, but I'll throw my comments on the pile.)
Note MJ3 does have this function but not like u want?
Also waiting for a on/off power switch in front of Schiits stuff might be a long wait...

1704984116686.png

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #135,685 of 152,973
Note MJ3 does have this function but not like u want?
Also waiting for a on/off power switch in front of Schiits stuff might be a long wait...

That's interesting! Do they list anywhere what the impedance is with and without feedback?

What you'd want for high-impedence headphones would be something that makes the impedance particularly high. The Singxer SA-1 is 11.4 ohms in high-z, Holo Bliss goes up to 18 ohms, while the ZMF Homage goes up to 47 ohms and the Cayin IHA6 goes all the way up to 120 ohms. Of course OTL tube amps are known for their high impedance, but the number of SS amps that can do this (that I know of) are basically the four I just mentioned. Seems like there might be a market opportunity there.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #135,686 of 152,973

You can consider a smart power strip.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #135,689 of 152,973
One of the nicest pairings to date with my ZMF VC's sis via the Piety (the OC small one) and the Schiit Modius E Dac. A week with the MB2 and then the Modius E.
Even though I love the MB2 the Modius E just makes thing so clear and transparent...with most music I listen to,

So many great flavors.

I never thought I would look at a DS dac again.
Looking forward to listening with a higher end Schiit DS dac....soon!

:>)
Alex
I had the mm2/Piety setup bedside for a bit, but no matter what headphones I used, the mm2 always had treble issues that bothered me after a bit. Modius E isn't necessarily "warmer" but certainly wasn't fatiguing that way.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #135,690 of 152,973
Schiit is the perfect size and run by folks that love audio and engineering. Big enough to be a viable player in delivering TOTL gear, but still small enough to design and also deliver boutique audiophile gear. Yeah, I'm a huge fan, but they've earned my praise legitimately -- via their products, business philosophy, and customer service. Honestly -- I'm a skeptic and a hard sell, but they've won me over. Kudos!!
When I got serious in this hobby, in 2012, the first place I came to was Head-Fi. Gotta learn somewhere, right? Just lucky that I made the right choice! And Schiit Audio was all 'round Head-Fi, being discussed everywhere.

So I bought my first gear: couldn't resist an Uber BiFrost and Asgard. What a cute stack, and the DAC even had a USB input (that's why it was called "Uber"). A couple of PYST cables and I was off to the races.

Then, I attended my first headphone meet in the Nashville area and ... everybody else had Schiit, too. That was when I heard the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. Those were the Big Schiit. Aah, what a fun journey. I totally suspect that many thousands of other people out there started just like I did. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back