Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #135,691 of 152,980
That's interesting! Do they list anywhere what the impedance is with and without feedback?

What you'd want for high-impedence headphones would be something that makes the impedance particularly high. The Singxer SA-1 is 11.4 ohms in high-z, Holo Bliss goes up to 18 ohms, while the ZMF Homage goes up to 47 ohms and the Cayin IHA6 goes all the way up to 120 ohms. Of course OTL tube amps are known for their high impedance, but the number of SS amps that can do this (that I know of) are basically the four I just mentioned. Seems like there might be a market opportunity there.
Remember impedance changes with frequency....nothing in this hobby is simple once you start looking at the stuff in detail.
Alex

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #135,692 of 152,980
I had the mm2/Piety setup bedside for a bit, but no matter what headphones I used, the mm2 always had treble issues that bothered me after a bit. Modius E isn't necessarily "warmer" but certainly wasn't fatiguing that way.
Interesting, the MB2 for me is a tad soft and mellow....and the Modius E is like wow this is bright and clear....
Like that real objective analysis!! lol!

We all here differently for sure.

Neither one is fatiguing here..just different.
My 74 yr old ears might be part of the use case here!

I thank the man upstairs each day that my hearing is still decent!

:>)

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #135,693 of 152,980
One thing you sometimes see on other amps that Schiit hasn't done so far is adjustable output impedance. Like imagine if the Mjolnir 3, in addition to all the other toggles it has, also had a low z/high z switch and what that might do for Sennheiser or ZMF cans. Seems like a fun idea.

Also I never cared about the power switch being on the back and the lack of a trigger on Schiit devices until I considered getting a Vidar for my living room. With an amp that has a trigger, I can just plug it into my preamp--which is a Bluesound Node connected via HDMI to my TV, and then when I turn on the TV with the remote, the amp automatically turns on. With the Vidar I'd have to get up and physically switch it on before I could watch anything or listen to music. Particularly when you have kids and such that's pretty annoying; it seems like if Schiit's going to keep the power switches on the back, they should at least add trigger functionality to the power amps to make them more convenient. (I'm obviously not the first person to suggest this, but I'll throw my comments on the pile.)
I used a node that triggers an emotiva amp via hdmi for my tv and it works beautifully. 12v triggers were a revelation for me. Works great with my GaN1 as well. I would think the standby products could incorporate them without too much hassle and additional cost but I’m not an EE.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #135,694 of 152,980
It's like a prickliness up top for me on the mm2. I mentioned it on the other forum saying I might be crazy but was not alone. Probably could have fixed with a loki mini but no need as I will be BF2/Maximus in that setup eventually. (Fwiw this is the same reason I installed 2/64, and then removed and sold that card off. OG BF2 is perfect as is to me)

Mm2 with Auteur Classics left my ears ringing every time...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #135,695 of 152,980
It's like a prickliness up top for me on the mm2. I mentioned it on the other forum saying I might be crazy but was not alone. Probably could have fixed with a loki mini but no need as I will be BF2/Maximus in that setup eventually. (Fwiw this is the same reason I installed 2/64, and then removed and sold that card off. OG BF2 is perfect as is to me)

I had the same sense of prickliness with the BF2/64 and (to a lesser extend) the BF2 OG. According to Purr1n of SBAF the Multibit Schiit DAC that's most free of it is the Yggdrasil LIM.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #135,696 of 152,980
My MM2 performs well, though sometimes it will skip a beat and speed up again, hard to describe, I blame it to iPhone streaming, or lack of buffer, something like that, and it is not happen often .... most of the time it sounds very good.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #135,697 of 152,980
I had the same sense of prickliness with the BF2/64 and (to a lesser extend) the BF2 OG. According to Purr1n of SBAF the Multibit Schiit DAC that's most free of it is the Yggdrasil LIM.
100% on LIM. I use it in my main 2- channel setup...for those with the aforementioned issues, this is the best DAC you can find.

Edit: honestly, at this point, my frame of reference is Moffat, if he likes it my ears like it. I blame all the extremely loud indie shows I went to in the 2000's lol.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #135,698 of 152,980
The whole area of impedance matching, maximum power transfer, load matching etc....is a really interesting topic.
@Jason Stoddard would love to see a dissertation on this topic.

Back in the day with RF and matching the outputs of a transmitter to antenna, one was concerned with many things, like SWR, reflections etc...not wanting to burn out the finals etc..

So does this matter in our low audio frequencies??
Do we really need to be concerned here?
Or is the 1/8 rule the only thing that matters?
Reactance?

???
Alex

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #135,699 of 152,980
100% on LIM. I use it in my main 2- channel setup...for those with the aforementioned issues, this is the best DAC you can find.

Edit: honestly, at this point, my frame of reference is Moffat, if he likes it my ears like it. I blame all the extremely loud indie shows I went to in the 2000's lol.
I connect the Moffat MM2 to a passive RK27 pot then to Vidar2, it is golden. (contented)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #135,700 of 152,980
DALI loudspeakers

Hey, it's the guy from the past (still ~128 (!!!!) pages behind)...

Does anybody here enjoy DALI loudspeakers?

I "sold" my Jolida JD3000B tubed pre, one OG Aegir and a pair of OG LS50s to friend's son, for the young'n's use in his college digs (he's a jazz star in the U of M music program). Therefore, I find it necessary to replace my office system.

p.s. believe me, to see Nick's face when he heard that gear was worth 10K the cost of admission, but I digress.

Anyway, the new/replacement stack looks like:

Lenovo i9 -> Cardas Blue USB -> Yggdrasil OG A2 -> balanced -> OG Jotti -> SE -> stereo OG Aegir -> DALI Oberon On-walls

------------------------------

Bought the DALIs on a whim, as "open box/demo", from Audio Advisor; $899 MSRP vs. $530 paid. Of course, they arrived in perfect condition. :)

I have no idea how this small box can hang on the wall with zero toe-in and sound this amazing,

Thoughts? No rush, it's gonna take me a week to get to caught up...

/ds
I use a pair of Dali Oberon On-Wall in my Office system (driven by a NAD C 316BEE) - very nice indeed. When we upgraded the livingroom system a couple of years ago I first auditioned the Dali Rubicon LCRs, but decided on the Lyngdorf FR-1 in the end. (And Dali was founded by Peter Lyngdorf, so remained in the family).
The FR-1 does not use the fancy wall-enhanced bassreflex port of the Dali wall-mounts, instead it utilises an 8 inch passive bass unit. The result is great!

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #135,701 of 152,980
I use a pair of Dali Oberon On-Wall in my Office system (driven by a NAD C 316BEE) - very nice indeed. When we upgraded the livingroom system a couple of years ago I first auditioned the Dali Rubicon LCRs, but decided on the Lyngdorf FR-1 in the end. (And Dali was founded by Peter Lyngdorf, so remained in the family).
The FR-1 does not use the fancy wall-enhanced bassreflex port of the Dali wall-mounts, instead it utilises an 8 inch passive bass unit. The result is great!
I wish I can have the Cue-100.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #135,702 of 152,980
Interesting, the MB2 for me is a tad soft and mellow....and the Modius E is like wow this is bright and clear....
Like that real objective analysis!! lol!

We all here differently for sure.

Neither one is fatiguing here..just different.
My 74 yr old ears might be part of the use case here!

I thank the man upstairs each day that my hearing is still decent!

Yes the MMB2 offers a softer more veiled sound compared to the Yggy series. On the Yggy (LIM and OG I’ve heard) individual instruments are more present; not brighter, not shrill.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #135,703 of 152,980

Prickliness? I suspect that has more to do with associated components. Change amps/speakers and the effect may change.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #135,705 of 152,980
The whole area of impedance matching, maximum power transfer, load matching etc....is a really interesting topic.
@Jason Stoddard would love to see a dissertation on this topic.

Back in the day with RF and matching the outputs of a transmitter to antenna, one was concerned with many things, like SWR, reflections etc...not wanting to burn out the finals etc..

So does this matter in our low audio frequencies??
Do we really need to be concerned here?
Or is the 1/8 rule the only thing that matters?
Reactance?

???
Alex

The 1/8 rule applies to SS amps IMHO. With SET amps, you can go to 1/3 damping between your headphones and amp and still get that magical sound. For line stage, 1/10 is the bare minimum IMHO.

Simple experiment is to take an amp such as the Topping A90D with 2K ohm input impedance. Hook up your Schiit Saga on passive mode (which will result to roughly 600 ohm to 3Kohm output impedance at more than 50% attenuation) and hear wimpy and hollow sound throughout until you almost don't have any attenuation in your DAC where impedance will go down to 180 ohms and now you have good damping factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back