Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #5,041 of 152,620
I'm still trying to get over the lack of IR receiver on the MacCanPro.

It's funny I've never felt that a remote would be useful beyond changing the track with a headphone setup, even when sitting too far away from the amp to change the volume. If I'm changing the input I'm probably getting up anyways to fiddle with something.

Should Mike have a mental break and insist on home theater then I'd be all for some remote even in the way of network/serial communication for a master system remote control function.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #5,043 of 152,620
My Vali has the switch on the front! Also the power jack and RCA inputs. However, to make room, they put the headphone jack on the rear silver colored panel.

Every time somebody brings up the damn switch issue, this ↑↑↑ is the answer they should get.

You win this thread.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #5,044 of 152,620
It's only fitting that Schiit products can only get turned on from behind.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5,045 of 152,620

Mr.Shembot,

You cleverly discerned something the entire Headphone World missed but "You" now properly reveal;   the switch location relates to the Company Name!  

I give you Full Marks 

Where would they have put those switches if they had chosen : "Stoddard & Moffat" as the Company name instead of a potty-humor name?  
Germanic sensibilities; probably frontal!  
Norse mythological sensibilities: anyone's guess, probably a magical switch would be provided ( like my mac computer, just touching the keyboard wakes it up from sleep mode) 

Brilliant Sir,

Tony in Michigan

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,046 of 152,620
So... I noticed something today. I was looking at the big photos of the Magni boxes (I have Modi 2 Uber) and I noticed that the Magni 2 had 16 V stenciled over the power socket, like my Mo2U, but the Magni 2 Uber has 14 V. Reading the specs confirms it.

What's with that? Why the difference? And as important, do they use the same size socket? What happens if I buy the 14 volt model but accidentally plug in the 16 volt power supply from my Modi? Will the magic smoke come out and render my warranty useless?

I admit to being baffled by the difference in that particular spec between a regular and an Uber edition of th same model.

Jason? Care to weigh in?

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,048 of 152,620
So... I noticed something today. I was looking at the big photos of the Magni boxes (I have Modi 2 Uber) and I noticed that the Magni 2 had 16 V stenciled over the power socket, like my Mo2U, but the Magni 2 Uber has 14 V. Reading the specs confirms it.

What's with that? Why the difference? And as important, do they use the same size socket? What happens if I buy the 14 volt model but accidentally plug in the 16 volt power supply from my Modi? Will the magic smoke come out and render my warranty useless?

I admit to being baffled by the difference in that particular spec between a regular and an Uber edition of th same model.

Jason? Care to weigh in?

I'd be surprised if they used the same size socket/plug, but then again Schiit happens.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #5,050 of 152,620
I have something to add to the 'useless tech' portion of this thread which, coincidentally, also has to do with the 'anti theft' tech being put into cars. I had a Chrysler 300 that I didn't know had any anti theft device in it. My sister was in town staying at a hotel so we went to visit her. We were in the pool area with the kids when my 1 year old decided to run over and jump into the pool. I jumped in to get her with keys, cell phone and wallet in my pockets. Luckily she didn't inhale too much water and was fine, but when I went to my car to drive home and get dry clothes it wouldn't start. Checked the owner's manual and found out there indeed was an anti theft chip in the keyfob. Good thing my daughter didn't need to be rushed to the hospital, eh? Well I picked the rubber buttons out of the keyfob and sat there and blew all the water out. Fortunately it did start after that, but man, what a pain in the schiit-hole. I also don't like that to get a new key made suddenly costs $60 instead of $1.50.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #5,052 of 152,620

Altho there's something distinctly disturbing about a reach-around turn on.

If you're having gear problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back