Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #149,296 of 151,398
Regarding a streamer - I use a WiiM Pro and connect that via a BlueJeans coax cable to a Yggy+ OG. it works very well and it is very convenient to operate remotely using a smart phone.It supports Chromecast which allows one to use native apps directly.
I am curious what your experience with Chromecast has been like? I've struggled to use it on my Cambridge streamer - it is consistently inconsistent and unreliable for me. I was in fact just trying it out again tonight after reading your comment about it, because I do prefer the native Qobuz app to the StreamMagic app from Cambridge, and nope, wouldn't even complete the first track before dropping its connection.

Just wondering if others have better luck with it?

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #149,297 of 151,398
I am curious what your experience with Chromecast has been like? I've struggled to use it on my Cambridge streamer - it is consistently inconsistent and unreliable for me. I was in fact just trying it out again tonight after reading your comment about it, because I do prefer the native Qobuz app to the StreamMagic app from Cambridge, and nope, wouldn't even complete the first track before dropping its connection.

Just wondering if others have better luck with it?

Qobuz supports Chromecast so it can hand-off the stream to WiiM. It works fine but it is limited by Qobuz to 96kHz which is fine. WiiM has built-in a version of the Qobuz app and I actually prefer it. It supports favorites.

Note: There’s indeed a problem using Chromecast from the Qobuz app.

As you probably read, Qobuz is working on a Qobuz ‘connect’. They state they are working with Linkplay/WiiM and will support them first.

I like WiiM Pro. It is put down by some but it truly is a good tool. It is inexpensive but like Schiit delivers.

IMG_9481.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #149,298 of 151,398
Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 15.56.32.png

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #149,300 of 151,398
Room treatments - the clap test

Darko nails this one IMHO:
(you can watch the whole thing if you want, but this is the most important part to me)

And guess what? YMWV - your mileage WON'T vary - if your room is not properly treated, you're never going to hear what your system is truly capable of...

oh yeah and room optimization software ain't gonna solve that ... it is also that a carpet/sofa/plants/curtains are already doing a lot against the echo BUT it is so worth to go a step further; i am still in the process of balancing esthetic intrusion vs room treatment.

One of the things that helped me a lot with the bass is turning an ottoman and ikea couch into a basstrap.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #149,301 of 151,398
His mention of "audiophile ethernet switches" drives me up an acoustically untreated wall. While I appreciate his politeness, the fact remains that ethernet switches are at layer 2 (datalink), and can't *possibly* know the contents of network packets passing through them. The *only* manipulation at layer 2 is VLAN tagging, giving the ability to prioritize traffic as the switch traffic approaches congestion (example: VOIP in enterprise networks). We only "know" about packet content (TCP, UDP, or even Novel's IPX) when we are at layer 3 (network).....

1714075359933.png
what does this mean for my ethernet cable into mac mini (2014) via usb to Bifrost?

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #149,303 of 151,398
We had a pretty cool looking storm a couple of years back with all sorts of amazing clouds. It was coming up to sunset, hence the intense red.
1 x From the drone and 2 x from the garden

XQYR9060.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG

Gorgeous! There's nothing like an angry storm cell at sunset.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #149,305 of 151,398
May I ask which Macbook Pro do you have, a newer one with Mx chip?
Thanks

M1 MacBook Pro. Works flawlessly with the Unison USB

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #149,306 of 151,398
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #149,307 of 151,398
And back to the whiskey phase on the curve...totally out of luck finding any Oregon Spirit in town. Not too surprising though. Anyway, I did take the plunge and placed an order via Oregon Spirits for a BiB Burbon, Wheat and Rye. Currently sitting in UPS's Salt Lake hub. Hopefully it will be on its way north today and delivered on Monday! Thing is, they're being delivered to my work address because of "adult" signatures, etc. I'm afraid that the way work has been going lately, those bottles might not make it out of here until they're empty! :unamused:

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #149,310 of 151,398
We had a pretty cool looking storm a couple of years back with all sorts of amazing clouds. It was coming up to sunset, hence the intense red.
1 x From the drone and 2 x from the garden

I think there's a spaceship hidden in there...! :anguished:

tumblr_inline_o9is8xa2DU1s01gpz_500.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back