Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 2, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #4,291 of 6,472
Hey guys,

I just bought the Jotunheim DAC/AMP combo! It's backorederd though :frowning2:.

I plan on pairing it with my HE-560 with balanced cable. Anyone here can comment on the pairing?  I had bought before the Aune S6 Dac/Amp but it doesn't have enough power, even with balanced cable at 100 volume it wasn't like super loud or anything. On some DSD tracks that have low volume even at max volume wasn't loud enough.

Anyone here can comment on the Jot with high gain and HE-560s ?

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #4,292 of 6,472
I can give "MY opinion". I had jot it sounded great with the he560. Very detailed and transparent and musical,perfect on high gain. I did sell it though. And I did so after much back and forth between my ican se & cayin c5. I just couldn't get past the 2d staging that I" was getting from the jot>mimby>560.I guess I value a 3d stage over absolute transparency and detail. So I bought a heron 5 and love the 3d stage it sets.

I just bought the Jotunheim DAC/AMP combo! It's backorederd though :frowning2:.

I plan on pairing it with my HE-560 with balanced cable. Anyone here can comment on the pairing?  I had bought before the Aune S6 Dac/Amp but it doesn't have enough power, even with balanced cable at 100 volume it wasn't like super loud or anything. On some DSD tracks that have low volume even at max volume wasn't loud enough.

[/quote]

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4,293 of 6,472
I can give "MY opinion". I had jot it sounded great with the he560. Very detailed and transparent and musical,perfect on high gain. I did sell it though. And I did so after much back and forth between my ican se & cayin c5. I just couldn't get past the 2d staging that I" was getting from the jot>mimby>560.I guess I value a 3d stage over absolute transparency and detail. So I bought a heron 5 and love the 3d stage it sets.

I just bought the Jotunheim DAC/AMP combo! It's backorederd though
frown.gif

[/quote]

That's very interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I look forward to the Jot. Eventually I'll get more cans, like the HD800 and the Elears but for now I'll enjoy my 560s :)

I REALLY like the Heron5 but I think it's a bit overpriced for what it offers. Don't you think?

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,294 of 6,472
  That's very interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I look forward to the Jot. Eventually I'll get more cans, like the HD800 and the Elears but for now I'll enjoy my 560s :)

I REALLY like the Heron5 but I think it's a bit overpriced for what it offers. Don't you think?

If you are considering the HD800 and HE560 then you might be a little disappointed with the Jot.  The HD800 and HE560 were the first two headphones I tried on a friends Jot and it was pretty sibilant and harsh with most tracks I listened to.  The HE560 is a touch on the bright side but does not get harsh or sibilant unless the amp in question is a touch on the bright side for me.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #4,295 of 6,472

Considering there are a bunch of amps in the $2k+ range that offer the same kind of power, I don't think so. The fully discrete design, high power, phase accuracy, and two different levels of output impedance are really amazing features for a $1k price point. It's at the top of my list for amp upgrades right now.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #4,296 of 6,472
  If you are considering the HD800 and HE560 then you might be a little disappointed with the Jot.  The HD800 and HE560 were the first two headphones I tried on a friends Jot and it was pretty sibilant and harsh with most tracks I listened to.  The HE560 is a touch on the bright side but does not get harsh or sibilant unless the amp in question is a touch on the bright side for me.

Hey @DavidA thanks for the tip. I've heard this about the Jot being bright but never being 'harsh'. I do think the HD800 have that peak in brightness that bothers a lot of people but to me the 560 sound a lot more neutral (in fact for some people they are 'boring' headphones).

What would you recommend instead of the Jot? I mean for $499 it's hard to beat on price/performance. 

Considering there are a bunch of amps in the $2k+ range that offer the same kind of power, I don't think so. The fully discrete design, high power, phase accuracy, and two different levels of output impedance are really amazing features for a $1k price point. It's at the top of my list for amp upgrades right now.

I see. I need to learn more about the Heron5. I think the lack of XLR worries me a bit. But thank you for pointing me to the Heron5. I think someday in the future I'll upgrade to it.  That is, after a long list of headphones to buy first and probably a mimby (or a Teac) to match the Jot. . 

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,297 of 6,472
Well personally I didnt nor could I have afforded the heron new,so I bought it used for 425. But after owning it and hearing it for what it offers me,which is exactly what I was looking for I'd say its absolutely not over priced. But everyone has there own taste and what they are looking for so ymmv. For me it's staging capabilities are top notch ,just love that thing! But I also have a limited prospective as i haven't heard alot of expensive amps. But there will always be better" regardless. And I'm not rich enough to keep up LOL. So I'll just be happy with my heron 5,ican se &cayin c5.:)

[/quote]

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,298 of 6,472
Well personally I didnt nor could I have afforded the heron new,so I bought it used for 425. But after owning it and hearing it for what it offers me,which is exactly what I was looking for I'd say its absolutely not over priced. But everyone has there own taste and what they are looking for so ymmv. For me it's staging capabilities are top notch ,just love that thing! But I also have a limited prospective as i haven't heard alot of expensive amps. But there will always be better" regardless. And I'm not rich enough to keep up LOL. So I'll just be happy with my heron 5,ican se &cayin c5.
smily_headphones1.gif

[/quote]

At first I read that it was 2K that's why I made the overpriced comments. I read that the new revised price is 1k that's not so crazy. Still with the lack of balance output IDK. I would love to try it out though.

if you're using a Heron5, iCan SE and Caying C5 what are you using as a DAC? 

Anyway since this is a Jot thread. I'm super excited for my Jot and I'll post my impressions here, maybe they'll help someone in the future. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,299 of 6,472
Yes and sorry for going 9ff topic as the jot 8s great!so I'll leave it after this. From my understanding the design structure of the heron 5 was to engineer it in a way that provided the benifits of a ballanced amp in a se design. And as far a dac I'm using a mimby. Was with the jot and now with heron.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #4,300 of 6,472
Schiit is now offering the Jotunheim in black finish. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #4,304 of 6,472
  Hey @DavidA thanks for the tip. I've heard this about the Jot being bright but never being 'harsh'. I do think the HD800 have that peak in brightness that bothers a lot of people but to me the 560 sound a lot more neutral (in fact for some people they are 'boring' headphones).

What would you recommend instead of the Jot? I mean for $499 it's hard to beat on price/performance. 

I see. I need to learn more about the Heron5. I think the lack of XLR worries me a bit. But thank you for pointing me to the Heron5. I think someday in the future I'll upgrade to it.  That is, after a long list of headphones to buy first and probably a mimby (or a Teac) to match the Jot. . 

One of the better amps within your price range is the Polaris ($250) which would leave you $250 for a Mimby, a nice pairing with the HE560 and the Polaris is one of the more flexible amps since you can change the output resistance/impedance to better match various headphones.

For the HD800 there are a few SS amps close to your budget that I like with it (Liquid Carbon, G-109, HA-501)
OTL or hybrid amps for the HD800 have usually sounded better than most SS amps from my limited experience so far.

One of the few DAC/amp combos that pair really well with the HD800 and HE560 is a Hugo, about as good as it gets but its way out there in price, Mojo for some reason just doesn't pair as well with the HD800 and HE560 from the few times I tried a friends Mojo but used as a DAC its pretty good, a touch better than Mimby IMO.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4,305 of 6,472
Does the Jotunheim can use the RCA input then BAL out the a power amp ? Also, can I connect Galaxy S7 with a USB cable to it ?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back