Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,036 of 6,473
  I need another headphone amp like I need another hole in my head. That said, in my office system I use the Gungnir feeding the Asgard 2 (LOVE this amp) which is also used as a preamp to my Parasound Halo A23. It just dawned on me that the Jotunheim would allow me to use the balanced outputs from the Gungnir and go balanced out to the A23's XLR inputs. The whole setup would be running balanced rather than single-ended. Would most of you see that as reason enough to grab a Jotunheim?

I've never felt the Asgard 2 was underpowered for the headphones I use, the AudioQuest NightHawks, B&W P7's, HE-400 & 500's and my primary IEM's are the Westone W40's. None of my headphones are setup for running with a balanced amp, but adapters and new cables aren't hard to acquire.

Any thoughts regarding the sound quality/signature of the Jotunheim vs the Asgard 2 and/or using the Jotunheim as an amp paired with the Gungnir via their XLR outputs and inputs? I've never heard the Gungnir from it's XLR outputs.

Thanks in advance for any input you're able to provide! 

You've gotta love how Schiit Audio keeps cranking out upgradable components (at very reasonable prices) that have to make others in the industry very nervous.
biggrin.gif

I have the Jotunheim and the Asgard 2 as well as the Nighthawks and He-400 and He-560.  I felt the Jotunheim was cleaner sounding with more impact and better dynamics than the Asgard 2.  Not night and day but noticeable.  I also felt the He-560 really benefited from the balanced connection.  That was worth the upgrade alone.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,037 of 6,473
Haven't heard the Jot 4490 but I went from Bifrost4490 to Modibit. Modibit has way less "bloom" and "velvet lushness". It is far more natural and realistic sounding. More neutral with less grain and harshness. 4490 was actually excellent for a D/S DAC but it still suffered from D/S syndrome...that overdone bloomy velvet kind of sound with tizzy/slightly metallic highs. After seeing what multibit can do, I am never going back to D/S. For $250 Mimby is a no brainer.

Also curious as how to how the internal 4490 compares to the Bifrost, that's $399 for only $99 in the Jot!

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,038 of 6,473

Haven't heard the Jot 4490 but I went from Bifrost4490 to Modibit. Modibit has way less "bloom" and "velvet lushness". It is far more natural and realistic sounding. More neutral with less grain and harshness. 4490 was actually excellent for a D/S DAC but it still suffered from D/S syndrome...that overdone bloomy velvet kind of sound with tizzy/slightly metallic highs. After seeing what multibit can do, I am never going back to D/S. For $250 Mimby is a no brainer.

Also curious as how to how the internal 4490 compares to the Bifrost, that's $399 for only $99 in the Jot!

I compared the bifrost 4490 to the Jotunheim with dac.  SE it sounded basically the same.  I couldn't tell any real difference.  I would think I heard something, then switch back and couldn't hear it.  So very close.  Using balanced headphone connection I actually preferred the onboard dac over the Bifrost.  All comparisons were done with Focal Elear and Hifiman he-560.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,039 of 6,473

I agree completely and would like to extrapolate:

For $ (Schiit's retail price) any of the four Multi-Bit DAC's are no brainers!

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #1,040 of 6,473

I was going to go with the Modi paired with the Jot until I found out it wasn't balanced, which both sets of my headphones are.
Any recommendations for a multibit balanced to go with the Jot?

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,041 of 6,473
I was going to go with the Modi paired with the Jot until I found out it wasn't balanced, which both sets of my headphones are.
Any recommendations for a multibit balanced to go with the Jot?

The Jot SE inputs work just fine with the balanced headphone out. i.e. the amp is balanced in this config.

If you want a balanced MB DAC then schiit will sell you a gumby or yggy.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,042 of 6,473
  Possible, though I'd get an external dac then too because I want a line out for both amps I'd then have. Question then becomes which dac to get
ph34r.gif

Hmm, are you sure you want to rush into it? It wouldn't make sense to get anything less than a Modi Multibit if you're doing that. While these are delightful DACs for the money, that's another.. what.. $249 or so upfront? Heck, you might be tempted by something larger, with balanced outs, even, then it gets even more expensive 
rolleyes.gif

Not knowing what your finances are like, I was mostly concerned with the ability to not have to pay loads upfront. If you're cool with that, fill your boots!

I'm not trying to discourage you, the Jot with a Schiitty multibit is a terrific thing. Even the Modi (which is excellent bang for buck) will do a very nice job indeed.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,043 of 6,473

Hmm, are you sure you want to rush into it? It wouldn't make sense to get anything less than a Modi Multibit if you're doing that. While these are delightful DACs for the money, that's another.. what.. $249 or so upfront? Heck, you might be tempted by something larger, with balanced outs, even, then it gets even more expensive 
rolleyes.gif

Not knowing what your finances are like, I was mostly concerned with the ability to not have to pay loads upfront. If you're cool with that, fill your boots!

I'm not trying to discourage you, the Jot with a Schiitty multibit is a terrific thing. Even the Modi (which is excellent bang for buck) will do a very nice job indeed.

I want a dac for my tube amp so it'd be nice if I could get something to use on that and the Jot. A $99 addition sounds very economical but I'm not sure about using a pre out to feed the tube amp.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,044 of 6,473
  I want a dac for my tube amp so it'd be nice if I could get something to use on that and the Jot. A $99 addition sounds very economical but I'm not sure about using a pre out to feed the tube amp.

Yes, I get that, I was just thinking about being able to spread the cost out over a month or two- but if that's not an issue, don't sweat it.

It sounds like you should just treat yourself to the best multibit DAC that seems reasonable to you. Since even the entry-level is surprisingly nice, it's more a case of how high you feel like going, based on your budget and the quality of your amps and transducers.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,045 of 6,473
The Jot SE inputs work just fine with the balanced headphone out. i.e. the amp is balanced in this config.

If you want a balanced MB DAC then schiit will sell you a gumby or yggy.

Was thinking about the gumby... Would love the yggy but a little too rich for my blood right now.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,046 of 6,473
Was thinking about the gumby... Would love the yggy but a little too rich for my blood right now.

Same here, but Mjolnir 2 before I can afford a gumby... Should be awesome and people are saying the Gumby is really, really close to the Yggy and for the price that sounds like a great value.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,047 of 6,473

The fact the Modi MB isn't balanced doesn't mean you cannot use it running into the Jotunheim and then use its balanced outs to your headphones - doesn't matter if you use RCA or XLR to connect source to the Jotunheim, you will be able to use both its SE and balanced out no matter what. That said, some people believe they hear a difference between the balanced and SE outs on DACs that offer both (eg. Gungnir), but still, my point was it doesn't matter what your source is and how you hook it up to the amplifier, you'll still be able to use the balanced headphone jack with your balanced headphones.

Of course, this is not to say you'd not be better off with a Gumby or Yggdrasil than the Modi MB - you just don't have to let it limit your choices is what I'm saying.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,048 of 6,473
The fact the Modi MB isn't balanced doesn't mean you cannot use it running into the Jotunheim and then use its balanced outs to your headphones - doesn't matter if you use RCA or XLR to connect source to the Jotunheim, you will be able to use both its SE and balanced out no matter what. That said, some people believe they hear a difference between the balanced and SE outs on DACs that offer both (eg. Gungnir), but still, my point was it doesn't matter what your source is and how you hook it up to the amplifier, you'll still be able to use the balanced headphone jack with your balanced headphones.

Of course, this is not to say you'd not be better off with a Gumby or Yggdrasil than the Modi MB - you just don't have to let it limit your choices is what I'm saying.

Thank you for the info... All the info I can get will help me make a more informed decision before I plop down large amounts of money.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,050 of 6,473

Hmm, are you sure you want to rush into it? It wouldn't make sense to get anything less than a Modi Multibit if you're doing that. While these are delightful DACs for the money, that's another.. what.. $249 or so upfront? Heck, you might be tempted by something larger, with balanced outs, even, then it gets even more expensive :rolleyes:

The jot's DAC and preamp out will work perfectly fine for your scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back