Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,051 of 6,473
A little off topic but since myself & others were comparing DACs I thought this might help. ( My apologies to whoever wrote it, let me know and i will give you credit)

1. Best of D-S Dacs - an indistinct sound is barely audible in the recording that appears to not be musically related to the orchestral piece playing

2. Modi MB - someone in the violin section has flatulated.
3. Bifrost MB - more precisely it was someone in the Second Violin section.
4. Gungnir MB - the flatulent sound originates with the 2nd chair in the 2nd row of the 2nd violins
5. Yggdrasil - that 2nd chair, 2nd row, 2nd violinist has let loose with a Db when clearly the piece being played is in the key of G.

Edit: Written by atomicbob

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,052 of 6,473
A little off topic but since myself & others were comparing DACs I thought this might help. ( My apologies to whoever wrote it, let me know and i will give you credit)

1. Best of D-S Dacs - an indistinct sound is barely audible in the recording that appears to not be musically related to the orchestral piece playing

4. Gungnir MB - the flatulent sound originates with the 2nd chair in the 2nd row of the 2nd violins
5. Yggdrasil - that 2nd chair, 2nd row, 2nd violinist has let loose with a Db when clearly the piece being played is in the key of G.

Gee, last year the DACs that most people were raving about were D/S some of which cost thousands of dollars and now they all suck. Perhaps there is a bit too much exaggeration with the MB thing.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,053 of 6,473
Gee, last year the DACs that most people were raving about were D/S some of which cost thousands of dollars and now they all suck. Perhaps there is a bit too much exaggeration with the MB thing.

I take it all with the proverbial grain of salt...

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,054 of 6,473
I take it all with the proverbial grain of salt...

For me personally all the D/S DAC's I've purchased were "cheap" 100-200 dollars ... the MB DAC's I've owned have been over 500 dollars so they should essentially sound better. I do often wonder what a "costly/well implemented" D/S Dac would sound like... but I like what I have so there's no reason to spend money on one.

I've also read here on headfi of members who do not hear much difference in MB DAC's... or say people who prefer the 4490 Bifrost over the bimby. We all hear differently though.

All that said yes it's the "hot thing" these days...

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,056 of 6,473
For me personally all the D/S DAC's I've purchased were "cheap" 100-200 dollars ... the MB DAC's I've owned have been over 500 dollars so they should essentially sound better. I do often wonder what a "costly/well implemented" D/S Dac would sound like... but I like what I have so there's no reason to spend money on one.

I've also read here on headfi of members who do not hear much difference in MB DAC's... or say people who prefer the 4490 Bifrost over the bimby. We all hear differently though.

All that said yes it's the "hot thing" these days...

I'm always weary of the "hot thing" but the Gumby's been out awhile and it's "tried and true", so hopeully it'll be an end game DAC for me after I save up my pennies. (until something better comes along of course :xf_eek:)

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,057 of 6,473
I'm always weary of the "hot thing" but the Gumby's been out awhile and it's "tried and true", so hopeully it'll be an end game DAC for me after I save up my pennies. (until something better comes along of course :xf_eek:)

I'm by no means knocking MB Dacs or Schiit products... there's a reason they are hot right now.... they're quality products!

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,058 of 6,473

my 2cents is that the modi MB is currently at/near the apex of DAC value, as in bang for buck. id love to see someone consistently distinguish a modi MB vs yggy in a blind ABX test, i'd bet money that they cant. ive been through the DAC rabbit hole culminating in a PerfectWave MKII and my opinion these days is that the diminishing returns on DACs are massive, akin to cables. if i had 10k to upgrade my equipment right now, id spend 4k on the utopia, 6k on a WA5, and keep the modi MB. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,059 of 6,473
my 2cents is that the modi MB is currently at/near the apex of DAC value, as in bang for buck. id love to see someone consistently distinguish a modi MB vs yggy in a blind ABX test, i'd bet money that they cant. ive been through the DAC rabbit hole culminating in a PerfectWave MKII and my opinion these days is that the diminishing returns on DACs are massive, akin to cables. if i had 10k to upgrade my equipment right now, id spend 4k on the utopia, 6k on a WA5, and keep the modi MB. 

I think that'd be an interesting thread: What people would choose if given 10k., I like your choices but a little early for me to be sold on the Utopia...

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,060 of 6,473

my 2cents is that the modi MB is currently at/near the apex of DAC value, as in bang for buck. id love to see someone consistently distinguish a modi MB vs yggy in a blind ABX test, i'd bet money that they cant. ive been through the DAC rabbit hole culminating in a PerfectWave MKII and my opinion these days is that the diminishing returns on DACs are massive, akin to cables.

+1
ph34r.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,061 of 6,473
Thank you!

If the Jot handles piano pieces better than Asgard than most likely it is the more transparent amp. On some amps/dacs it can be hard to keep track of the piano because of either it's higher noise floor and or RF noise. The noise makes it hard to focus on individual instruments or singers.

My impression with the Asgard 2 is that some louder mid-to-high pitch passages had a kind of "glare" as if the amp was somewhat losing full control of the headphone drivers (just trying to describe what I heard, no idea about the actual mechanism). No such problem with the Jotunheim. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,062 of 6,473

I agree with the first point, certainly Modi MB is tops in bang for buck. The second point is interesting, I am sure some people can hear the difference, I wonder what percentage of Head-Fi members could?

I wonder what percentage of Multi-Bit owners would pay $100 to trade their DAC for Yggy? 
atsmile.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,064 of 6,473
[IGNORE, content repeated later because of a browser glitch while editing.]

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #1,065 of 6,473

I'd get the utopia, but instead of the wa5, keep the Jotunheim and my modi multibit and put the 6k in savings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back