Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 20, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,082 of 6,473
  Will do, might have a long wait as the bloody UK EU supplier has no stock of the cardless Jot!
angry_face.gif

I ordered mine direct from Schiit themselves (I'm also in the UK) for this exact reason. I had mine before Electromod even knew when they'd be getting any, let alone had received them. Electromod are really friendly and helpful, but they don't have great stock availability.

The courier used seems to have no issues with customs, if that helps- it took 2-3 days from shipping until mine arrived.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,086 of 6,473
I just want to post about the Jotunheim. When it first came out on that Saturday back in late August was it, I was at first, having a reaction like, ehh...not even interested. Then I started thinking about it, and reading about it, now I own 3 of them, lol. One is driving my work computer, one my downstairs computer and one is on my headphone rig (I've put away my Wa7 and don't know what to do with it now).

These are just amazing devices. Now, being sort of a newbie, at least as far as equipment is concerned, I haven't heard the true high end stuff (yet). I haven't heard Yggdrasil or Gumby, or Ragnarok, nor other companies over 2000 dollar flagship amps or Dacs. But I'm sitting down here in my downstairs office listening to tunes with the Jotunheim and its built in DAC, and REALLY enjoying it. A 399 dollar amp and a 100 dollar dac. It's an incredible value. And very enjoyable. It's so cool too, that I could get gumby or yggy and plug it in with balanced cords. Or get a balanced headphone and plug it in to jotunheim too. I like how it makes my speaker systems sound so much better. I put the mackie mixers away too, plugged the Jotunheim directly into my powered mackie speakers with balanced cords. 

While I'm pretty sure better sound can be had cracking the wallet (a lot), this Jotunheim is very very enjoyable on it's own. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,087 of 6,473
I wonder what Schiit means by:
"In the future, you’ll be able to easily upgrade to a different module—maybe even something beyond a DAC or phono preamp."
What kind of new module are they cooking up?

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,088 of 6,473
  I wonder what Schiit means by:
"In the future, you’ll be able to easily upgrade to a different module—maybe even something beyond a DAC or phono preamp."
What kind of new module are they cooking up?

I know huh? Maybe a warp drive? Or a beer fridge? lol. It is fun to think about! Who knows what tech will come out in the future. It's a good time to be a music fan though, lots of great equipment out there today.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,089 of 6,473
  I know huh? Maybe a warp drive? Or a beer fridge? lol. It is fun to think about! Who knows what tech will come out in the future. It's a good time to be a music fan though, lots of great equipment out there today.

Perhaps a USB controlled Pez Dispenser.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,091 of 6,473

Perhaps a USB controlled Pez Dispenser.

I agree. This device needs a digital upgrade!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mil-Spec-PEZ-Dispenser/

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,092 of 6,473
I got it. A Bluetooth power module so you can turn off the power from an app on your smartphone. Can't turn it on though
tongue.gif
. Comes with a bonus LED dimmer that can also be controlled from your smartphone.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,094 of 6,473
  I just want to post about the Jotunheim. When it first came out on that Saturday back in late August was it, I was at first, having a reaction like, ehh...not even interested. Then I started thinking about it, and reading about it, now I own 3 of them, lol. One is driving my work computer, one my downstairs computer and one is on my headphone rig (I've put away my Wa7 and don't know what to do with it now).

These are just amazing devices. Now, being sort of a newbie, at least as far as equipment is concerned, I haven't heard the true high end stuff (yet). I haven't heard Yggdrasil or Gumby, or Ragnarok, nor other companies over 2000 dollar flagship amps or Dacs. But I'm sitting down here in my downstairs office listening to tunes with the Jotunheim and its built in DAC, and REALLY enjoying it. A 399 dollar amp and a 100 dollar dac. It's an incredible value. And very enjoyable. It's so cool too, that I could get gumby or yggy and plug it in with balanced cords. Or get a balanced headphone and plug it in to jotunheim too. I like how it makes my speaker systems sound so much better. I put the mackie mixers away too, plugged the Jotunheim directly into my powered mackie speakers with balanced cords. 

While I'm pretty sure better sound can be had cracking the wallet (a lot), this Jotunheim is very very enjoyable on it's own. 

So you like this amp? :) 

I am very curious to know how you feel it pairs with your Grado's. If you did not have your avatar of the PS1000's, I would have never thought to ask. But you do and I just received a set of PS1000's and want a new amp. What are your thoughts? 

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,095 of 6,473
Is optical digital DAC not a popular option?

I tried
  jriver/imac->usb->mojo->se->jot,  and then tried
  jriver/imac->optical->mojo->se->jot, 

and couldn't tell much of a difference....I sorta can when i jumping back and forth over and over and over again, but it could be my imagination, and no way I'd be able to call it in a blind test.  

Probably just bad hearing.

Now, I can tell a difference between
   jriver/imac->usb mojo se jot
   jriver/imac->usb jot

but the usb->jot was just fine.

Given the above, from my chair, it'd sure be nice if schiit released an optical audio input dac module.  

Probably just me, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back