Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #331 of 614
Update comparing my Midgard+Modius (E) to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS (ESS DAC - running RME flat, no EQ).
Both my dacs are ESS based for this comparison.
This update is with my Newmann NDH-30 headphones (as compared to the Beyer DT 990 pro from my initial test).
I "initially" preferred the RME with DT 990 over my Schiit stack, and, I preferred the Schiit stack with my powered speakers (over the RME) which are Yamaha HS7s.
I don't know why, but the DT 990 were more bass heavy out of the Midgard as compared to the RME, and I don't mind bass if it is well resolved. The DT 990s were not giving me that.
So now I've plugged in my Newmann NDH-30s and the bass presentation from the Schiit stack is much better = not boomy but resolving, nicely delineated.
I'd have to carefully listen to discern the differences, and there are some, but to my ears they are minor differences and one is not better than the other.
But here is the important impression I wish to leave behind: using the Newmans headphones with the Modius + Midgard is very very good.
Midgard measures well over at ASR and is highly recommended. Modius (E) is "OK" and recommended. I guess the noise floor and dynamic range are good enough for me. :)
I'm more than happy and love the variety between the products.
And I'd love to hear from folks who use RME and Schiit, what versions of DAC + Headphone amp do you use and how do they compare to your ears + brains.
How will moving up the Schiit ladder improve my desktop experience. Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #332 of 614
Question for any Midgard owners here. Have any of you tried the Midgard as a preamp to another headphone amp? I personally have not so I was just curious as to any success with those who have, and if you have, what did you gain from it?

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #333 of 614
Yup! You can buy them pre made with the XLR attached. I got mine on Amazon for $23. There are more expensive better cables out there, I hear Hart Cables are great, but this one has worked beautifully for me. You just need to make sure the one you get has the special Sennheiser connectors and a 4 pin balanced XLR on the other end.

Here is the link to the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Replacement-Upgrade-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08LF295B2
Hello Saaki, I followed the link you provided and that would work with Sennheiser headphones; but more specifically now I am going to use what I have, my Neumann NDH-30s and try and find a cable compatible with this model. Haven't found anything on Amazon at this time with XLR 4 pin male to 2.5 mm locking connector for my Neumanns. Thanks!

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #334 of 614
I don't know why, but the DT 990 were more bass heavy out of the Midgard as compared to the RME, and I don't mind bass if it is well resolved. The DT 990s were not giving me that.

Non-Halo output is bassy and less resolving sounding than the Halo Output for a lot of headphones I've tried but some headphones like your Neumann NDH-30s works well with the non-halo output

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #336 of 614
Sooo, the $64,000 question: with my Neumann NDH-30, is it worth the expensive to purchase the balance cable to try Halo?

I vote for Halo Everything! I haven't had ANY bad synergy with the Halo output for me. It pairs extremely well with both planars and dynamics to me, including the Susvara! Then again, it could be that Bifrost 2 is warmer leaning and Halo is transparent as heck while the SE out is a bit muddy in bass with less perceived resolution to me at least using that DAC. Halo is at minimum 2x better than the non-halo output on my setup.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #337 of 614
I vote for Halo Everything! I haven't had ANY bad synergy with the Halo output for me. It pairs extremely well with both planars and dynamics to me, including the Susvara! Then again, it could be that Bifrost 2 is warmer leaning and Halo is transparent as heck while the SE out is a bit muddy in bass with less perceived resolution to me at least using that DAC. Halo is at minimum 2x better than the non-halo output on my setup.
Appreciate your comments. I'll be ordering a Hart Audio cable later in December or early January. Haven't decided if I'm getting a dedicated cable (M XLR 4 pin to 2.5mm locking connector for the headphones) or go modular with the mini XLR + extra connection cable for Halo to the Midgard.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #338 of 614
Hello Saaki, I followed the link you provided and that would work with Sennheiser headphones; but more specifically now I am going to use what I have, my Neumann NDH-30s and try and find a cable compatible with this model. Haven't found anything on Amazon at this time with XLR 4 pin male to 2.5 mm locking connector for my Neumanns. Thanks!

Yeah because the HD6XX/HD650 are so popular there are many more cheap options on Amazon. For others not at popular headphones you'll need to go to specialty cable shops. I found that to be the case for my Sonorous III's. I did find balanced cables for them at Audio Ninjas but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

For your Neumann's I found another balanced cable here: https://fogcityaudio.com/products/n...lanced-or-single-ended-headphone-cable-mogami

But it seems you found some at Harts?

It could be worth checking AliExpress too. I've found some cheap good quality cables there, but again it's kinda headphone dependent.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #339 of 614
How do you all like the Midgard with IEMs? I've been considering picking up a pair of lower priced IEMs like TruthEar Zero Reds or Moondrop Arias and I'm wondering how they'd do with my Modius/Midgard stack.

Does anyone know if the new Magni Unity has halo too, or is that Midgard exclusive feature at this point? I thought I read that is has the feedback technology incorporated into it and it seems like it's being compared to the Midgard fairly regularly. But maybe that's just because they came out so close to one another? Just a passing quandary.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #341 of 614
Oh how do you guys find using single ended source on Midgard.

I.e. if we run single ended dac but then use XLR out to headphone?

Or is it still better to do the full chain balanced?

Assuming if power isn't a concern (2v vs 4v dac out). I have TH900 which is super sensitive.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #342 of 614

Assuming if power isn't a concern (2v vs 4v dac out). I have TH900 which is super sensitive.

Not an owner, yet, but I can't imagine it matters much unless that DAC is a rally long cable run away from the amp.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #343 of 614
I've only tried it with the balanced cables out of my Modius, it does sound a little louder because of the 4v vs 2v, but I don't think it changes much other than that, and the Midgard is plenty powerful so it can run pretty much everything with a 2v input anyway. Before I got my Modius I was running it off a 2v dongle DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #344 of 614

I'm making use of the balance input to the Midgard from my Modius (E). That said, internally the signal gets converted to single ended and processed from there. Unless you have persistent noise issues, I cannot see this being a significant issue If you use the SE or XLR inputs. As for the output, I'm currently using the singled ended 1/4 inch output to my headphones, Newmann NDH-30, and it sounds fine. I do use the balance outputs (pre-outs) to Yamaha HS7s. Everything is quiet and works well. I have not used the pre's single ended outputs. There is lots of output power from Midgard as far as I can tell and I'm only making use of the low gain setting!

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #345 of 614
How do you manage switching between headphones and your Yamahas? I have some JBL studio monitors, and I'm trying to figure out a nice way of switching them on and off easily since the pre outs on the Midgard are are always on. I was considering some smart outlets with a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back