Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #316 of 614
I'm thinking of ordering a Hart Audio balanced cable for my Neumann NDH-30 earphones in to connect to the Midgard (I think the Midgard is a good deal). No need to buy new earphones I discovered and I'll get to try out Halo on my own terms. :)

Midgard is really good deal especially once you use the Halo output. It also responds well to better DACs that it's able to showcase their traits. The BF2 OG and Midgard combo that I use is quite smooth sounding without killing resolution, owing to Midgard's ability to take the signal from BF2's out and produce it in uncolored way. BF2 OG also benefits from clean source like your portable DAP. Midgard stages and layers roughly (more or less) on the level of Lyr+ on tube mode with the work setup the I posted

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #317 of 614
Dec 4, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #318 of 614
Dec 4, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #319 of 614
Midgard is really good deal especially once you use the Halo output. It also responds well to better DACs that it's able to showcase their traits. The BF2 OG and Midgard combo that I use is quite smooth sounding without killing resolution, owing to Midgard's ability to take the signal from BF2's out and produce it in uncolored way. BF2 OG also benefits from clean source like your portable DAP. Midgard stages and layers roughly (more or less) on the level of Lyr+ on tube mode with the work setup the I posted

What do you mean it stages and layers on the level of Lyr+? Does that mean it sounds comparable to the Lyr+? I'm newish to the audiophile world, so sorry if those are silly questions.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #320 of 614
I'm thinking of ordering a Hart Audio balanced cable for my Neumann NDH-30 earphones in to connect to the Midgard (I think the Midgard is a good deal). No need to buy new earphones I discovered and I'll get to try out Halo on my own terms. :)
Question for the Hart cables: is Neutrik "4 pin XLR connector" , M (assuming Male) just that, a "4 pin XLR connector"? Or should I be looking at the mini XLR (Female, I don't think it would mate with the connector from the Midgard). I'm going to be ordering a cable to allow me to make use of the Schiit Halo circuit. Do I need to be more specific? Thanks to those who can guide me.

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #321 of 614
What do you mean it stages and layers on the level of Lyr+? Does that mean it sounds comparable to the Lyr+? I'm newish to the audiophile world, so sorry if those are silly questions.
Lyr+ is different in that it can be a pure solid state amp and also be a tube hybrid amp depending on how you start it.

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #322 of 614
Question for the Hart cables: is Neutrik "4 pin XLR connector" , M (assuming Male) just that, a "4 pin XLR connector"? Or should I be looking at the mini XLR (Female, I don't think it would mate with the connector from the Midgard). I'm going to be ordering a cable to allow me to make use of the Schiit Halo circuit. Do I need to be more specific? Thanks to those who can guide me.
Mini XLR is used for Hart's "modular" cables where you can purchase various interconnects. The mini XLR modular cable is terminated as female and connects with a mini XLR male interconnect that terminates in a male headphone connection (numerous options). You would need a mini XLR modular cable to 4 pin male XLR interconnect if you are looking at a modular cable solution. Connectors to the amp should be male as headphone inputs are female.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #323 of 614

The positioning of instruments and the size of the soundstage from Midgard Halo is comparable to the Lyr+ in tube mode. Yes, Midgard Halo beats Lyr+ in SS mode in this area. The advantage of Lyr+ is better refinement than Midgard. Midgard Halo beats the Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 to me in the imaging and soundstage department heck I’ll add bass articulation on top of that! Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 can sometimes sound more refined than Midgard but I’m a soundstage/imaging first listener so Midgard wins for me over both except for Lyr+ tube mode and Mjolnir 3

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #324 of 614
Mini XLR is used for Hart's "modular" cables where you can purchase various interconnects. The mini XLR modular cable is terminated as female and connects with a mini XLR male interconnect that terminates in a male headphone connection (numerous options). You would need a mini XLR modular cable to 4 pin male XLR interconnect if you are looking at a modular cable solution. Connectors to the amp should be male as headphone inputs are female.

Sex changes are normal and expected in the realm of audiophilia

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #325 of 614
Thank you. Very informative. I'll take a closer look at their options.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #326 of 614
The positioning of instruments and the size of the soundstage from Midgard Halo is comparable to the Lyr+ in tube mode. Yes, Midgard Halo beats Lyr+ in SS mode in this area. The advantage of Lyr+ is better refinement than Midgard. Midgard Halo beats the Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 to me in the imaging and soundstage department heck I’ll add bass articulation on top of that! Jotunheim 2 and Asgard 3 can sometimes sound more refined than Midgard but I’m a soundstage/imaging first listener so Midgard wins for me over both except for Lyr+ tube mode and Mjolnir 3

Thanks for the explanation and comparisons! I've only ever used my Fulla 2 as a DAC/amp before the Midgard so I don't have much to go off of when it comes to comparison. This really helps me to understand a little bit better. I hope one day I'll be able to compare to some other setups. But in the meantime I'm very happy.

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #327 of 614
Thanks for the explanation and comparisons! I've only ever used my Fulla 2 as a DAC/amp before the Midgard so I don't have much to go off of when it comes to comparison. This really helps me to understand a little bit better. I hope one day I'll be able to compare to some other setups. But in the meantime I'm very happy.

You’re welcome! I’m always about an hour to 1-1/2 hour drive away to Schiitr so I can always refresh my memory on how those Schiit amps compare to each other

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #328 of 614
So with Magni Unity announced, would be interesting to have a 3 way MJ3 / Midgard / Magni Unity showdown. :thumbsup:

EDIT: if someone can outline the sound signature difference too that would be great.
I'd love to do a 3-WAY with Jotenheim2 / Midgard / Magni Unity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back