Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 28, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #3,586 of 6,931
These Footscray tubes are insane! I have never heard anything like it. It's like entering a hologram! 😂 @ksorota get these things to 100 hours.
I got a second pair of these today. 1 year earlier by date. I may even grab another pair before it's all said and done. LOL!

I ABSOLUTELY love this tube! Due diligence has paid off! For me and my personal preference, this is the whole Kit & Kabootle! 🤣

My A2900 should be here this upcoming week. I will of course do a shootout and report back. As of right now the Footscray is my brakes. The only other tube I would buy right now is an earlier version of what I'm listening to right now.

:beerchug:
The triple-micas of 1957? As you have read, I cannot say enough good things about them. I doubt that the A2900 will succeed in a coup du tube. In the 12AT7 tube category, the Brimar CV4033 KB/FB (1957 Footscray) is the ne plus ultra for me 🥲.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #3,587 of 6,931
@reddog Hey Reddog. Hope you are well. Just thought I'd give you a shout to say I've nabbed myself a pair of Alpha Primes :)

I forgot how good they are. Still my overall favourite headphone. Can't wait for Gumby & MJ2 to arrive.

I've been very fortunate that I've been able to hit end game so soon after only a few weeks back saying that it will be some time before it will be achieved.

I think it just shows that one should always keep trying to achieve life goals no matter how challenging things can get.

I recently bought ZMF Atticus, and have a Feliks Audio Echo Mk1 on the way to pair with Gumby & Atticus.

Just need to find a Schiit Sys now so I can share Gumby with MJ2 & Echo.

When I have this rig setup, I'll be truly at end game :)
I am happy you were able to score a pair of Alpha Primes. And you have a great system to listen too. I am happy you were able to reach you goal to have a high end setup. May your system always put a big old smile on your face.

May 28, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,589 of 6,931
I have done some listening to the A2900 (and the Valvo ECC81) and I have not wanted to “influence” or “precondition” your reactions to the A2900 in itself or vis-a-vis the KB/FB CV4033. At this moment, it seems clear that, for us, Footscray rules 12AT7dom if not tubedom...

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #3,591 of 6,931
Did you get them yet? Email delivery or electronic delivery?
I ordered yesterday directly from their website. I have ordered from Langrex quite a few times. They use the Royal Mail and items usually get to my home in ten days.

May 29, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #3,593 of 6,931
WOW! I was able to pry out of Sanjiv , the batch of tubes he is getting in , and sending me for a review.

Before I mention the said tube will @TK16 and @bcowen please start forming an intervention team and send them to India lol. Also take a deep breath and do not laugh at the next sentence below.

He's sending me a pair of ....... 1956 ............ triple mica........... 😬 .......12at7........... made by.......... oh God no............ GE 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣

May 29, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #3,594 of 6,931
WOW! I was able to pry out of Sanjiv , the batch of tubes he is getting in , and sending me for a review.

Before I mention the said tube will @TK16 and @bcowen please start forming an intervention team and send them to India lol. Also take a deep breath and do not laugh at the next sentence below.

He's sending me a pair of ....... 1956 ............ triple mica........... 😬 .......12at7........... made by.......... oh God no............ GE 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣
LOL!!! Could these actually be the GE to break out of the stereotype?

May 29, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,597 of 6,931

🤣🤣🤣
How much did he pay you to take them? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :laughing:

There are some rumblings on the Darkvoice thread that the GE 5998A sounds pretty good. Tung Sol has always been considered the king of that tube type, but with prices on those in NOS condition going at around $150/each these days and the GE's at about $50, it almost (only almost) makes me want to try one. My mailbox would probably explode if the Post Office ever delivered a box with a GE in it, but it's also possible that GE screwed up every now and then and made a good sounding tube. :smile:

May 29, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #3,598 of 6,931
Saw this again at Tubemonger. Some people say it's the best. Never heard this myself. I know the beta tester reviewer giving thoughts.
https://pulsetubestore.com/products/cv3986
Sorry for posting. 😄
If you can solder, buy the tube and a socket saver for ~$25. I got mine from Langrex, and he may still have some. The ad below looks to be the real deal and is priced a little better, but I've never bought from that seller myself (and Langrex has always been solid).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392342649184?hash=item5b5971b960:g:mVwAAOSwktFdLcjb

Not as fancy looking, but my ears are blind. :laughing:

Mullard CV3986 1.jpg

Mullard CV3986 2.jpg

Mullard CV3986 in Vali 2.jpg

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #3,599 of 6,931
If you can solder, buy the tube and a socket saver for ~$25. I got mine from Langrex, and he may still have some. The ad below looks to be the real deal and is priced a little better, but I've never bought from that seller myself (and Langrex has always been solid).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392342649184?hash=item5b5971b960:g:mVwAAOSwktFdLcjb

Not as fancy looking, but my ears are blind. :laughing:

Mullard CV3986 1.jpg
Mullard CV3986 2.jpg
Mullard CV3986 in Vali 2.jpg
2 questions.
1. How did you defeat the power of gravity with the tube, as it looks to be standing up on its own? 🤣
2. You should consider supplying the tubes with the adapter and maybe making 75 to 99 cents over cost to us. 😆

May 29, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #3,600 of 6,931
2 questions.
1. How did you defeat the power of gravity with the tube, as it looks to be standing up on its own? 🤣
2. You should consider supplying the tubes with the adapter and maybe making 75 to 99 cents over cost to us. 😆
1) Huh? I'm confused. You mean you don't have anti-gravity socket savers? Newbie.
2) OK, then how about $119.99 each? Parts are $25, but my labor is $250/hr. :laughing: More seriously, this was TubeMonger's idea and while I have no problem sharing what *I* did for myself, I wouldn't ever make them to sell just out of courtesy and good conscience (yeah, weird for me I know :thinking:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back