Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #961 of 2,899
Help me out guys, my MJ3 will arive in a few days and all I have as a DAC is my old CA DacMagic Plus and my Mojo2. I guess the Mojo2 will do for a bit but I want to upgrade.
In EU the Biofrost 2/64 retails for close to 1000€. The Chord Qutest is close to 1.5k. Those are the two options I have thrown an eye on but I suspet that the Qutest will sound to soft and that the Biofrost 2/64 will hold back my MJ3 in terms of resolution. Anyone who owns both or any other suggestions? Not lookin for some off the shelf chip stuff.

Edit: I am using an HE1000 stealth as my (for now) endgame headphone.
I don't find the QUTEST soft at all, in my chain (below). Use the white filter for a more 'incisive' sound. I can't comment on the Bifrost ... I don't have one.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #963 of 2,899
You can get Yaggdrasil LIM, Audial S5 but both are close to $2K
A good suggestion but even a LIM is €2,800 in Europe. A MIB is over €3,000

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #964 of 2,899
I was into the iem game for a while. If i leave only this amp on my desk, what are the chances of being able to plug an iem into this thing on rare occasion and not have the iem implode from sheer power? I'm guessing noise floor would be too high for it either way?

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #965 of 2,899
I was into the iem game for a while. If i leave only this amp on my desk, what are the chances of being able to plug an iem into this thing on rare occasion and not have the iem implode from sheer power? I'm guessing noise floor would be too high for it either way?
I am interested too in this: I have the Annihilator 2023 and in future I'll like to buy a TOTL HP (I like so much the Meze Elite, but I have to spare a lot of money for them), so I am looking for a good Amp for both IEM and HP.

Maybe did someone try the Mjolnir 3 with the Anni?
Thank you!

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #966 of 2,899
I'm curious if some of you have heard the mj3 with the yggy lim and mib as well. In the future I might upgrade to either one, just not sure which would be the better match.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #967 of 2,899
I just tried with a few IEMs: U12t, Variations, Monarch Mk2. All of them had varying levels of pretty quiet EMI that I could hear on the left channel, regardless of RCA or XLR input (present with all inputs unplugged, even). Used DAP as source on battery to isolate ground, with no luck. Audio devices are on a Furman AC215A power conditioner. Noise is introduced after the amplification stage, as it is unaffected by volume pot. I don't know if this is a design thing or my unit specifically. Using an IEMatch on Ultra settings removed it from audible range on all but U12t.

I could possibly run the MJ3 on battery+inverter later to see if it's my power, but in practical usage scenarios, it doesn't seem to be very useful for IEMs, as Schiit themselves have implied. Still sounded good, though.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #969 of 2,899
mj3 smaller.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #971 of 2,899
Dec 31, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #973 of 2,899
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #974 of 2,899
Well, I just pulled the trigger on an MJ3. I'm really loving how my Rag 2 plays complex orchestral music through my HEKS so I decided to take a chance on the MJ3. I have no idea how long the wait time will be however, going by all of the positive comments so far, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #975 of 2,899
I love the fact that you found the 2W(32Ω) MJ3 to have a fuller sound and better punch in the bass than the 24W(32Ω) Rag2 on the very hard-to-drive HE6SEv2!! :grinning:

This is just another great example that the old audiophile saying that "Not all watts are created equal" is absolutely true! :gs1000smile:
Good to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back