Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 7, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #12,316 of 12,398
Anybody switch from the beloved LIM to the MIB cards in their Yggy? If so, is it worth price? Whats the biggest difference? Any insight would be helpful.
I did, and I found it to be very much inline with my preferences.

MIB feels less veiled overall.
There was a shocking improvement in overall texture and resolution throughout from low to high frequencies.
I did not lose as much magical LIM timbral expression as I was expecting.
After a week or two, MIB revealed that it was incompatible with some decisions I made elsewhere in my system (it hated one of my diy power cables on the power supply feeding my usb card for example, it was way too loud in the higher frequencies). Swapping some power cables around was very rewarding and brought back a good balance.

FWIW, MIB exceeded my expectations and this is from someone who started with A2, swapped to LIM for a long long time, tried the A2/OG boards again but ultimately went back to LIM for the long haul, and absolutely preferred MIB in the end. It just does it for me.

I would characterize MIB as being very refined but also more resolving, less forgiving and less rolled off than LIM.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #12,317 of 12,398
MIB is sensitive to everything moreso than A2 IMHO due to its attention to texture and resolution as @Exocer already noted. I find el-cheapo power conditioners hurts its dynamic/slam performance while direct to upgraded outlets (medical grade) and hefty power strips, or if you're on the extreme, a separate/isolated circuit straight from the meter (not just a separate circuit breaker) with SPC earthing were far more economical solution than something like Audioquest 7000 power conditioner or a stromtank

May 8, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #12,318 of 12,398
I also made the switch about a month ago. I will say that I was happy with LIM in my system so it was really the curiosity that got me to change cards hoping for just a little something more.

Overall, I agree that there is slightly more clarity and detail, not that the LIM seemed to lack it in my system (primarily 2-channel). However, I did notice what seemed to be a loss of “body” to the music, whether this is slam or just some of the lower midrange warmth, I’m not sure but it seemed to leave the music feeling a little soul-less if that makes sense. I think what it highlighted for me was the weakness of my amp, so that gave me the excuse to upgrade the Peachtree Nova 300 to a Musical Fidelity M6si which I’ve been wanting for a while. That made a world of difference, whether it’s the difference between the Class D Peachtree and Class AB M6si architecture, it really gave the music a lot of body and heft that I feel like it always missed but which was exaggerated by the MIB. I’m very happy with the sound now, so I would say it was a worthwhile upgrade but can very much highlight the strengths/weaknesses of other components in your system.

I use Shunyata Venom PCs in all my equipment, haven’t tried playing around with swapping cords or cables more yet but I think I’ve spent enough to keep me happy for a while although I am curious to swap the LIM card back in to see how it plays with the new amp at some point.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #12,319 of 12,398
Just an advice. If MIB feels sleepy or polite or not enough grit or body or engagement factor, you're not maximizing the component synergy, not that MIB is poor DAC at all. It's like the Susvara in terms of amp compatibility where MIB doesn't really tell you upfront that your system isn't completely optimized due to how non-fatiguing Schiit DACs and R2R in general typically sounds, but when you have it paired with match made in heaven amp, that's when you realize that nagging feeling you had disappears completely and you're met with just sublime, refined and powerful sound. A2 though easier to pair with amps due to A2's lower mid emphasis and explosive lows whereas MIB is ruler flat in tonal balance

May 8, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #12,321 of 12,398
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Yggy Analog 1 board vs Analog 2?

Thank you
Per my high level understanding- the multibit dac chips are the same but the differences are with the analog stages. A2 is supposed to improve the noise floor and maybe add a bit of refinement vs A1 which has more of the original “grit” of the original Yggy. I could be totally wrong so I’ll let others chime in.

I am have never heard A1/GS but I’ve always wondered if it would be a good fit for my system.

May 8, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #12,322 of 12,398
I am comparing yggy+og and yggy og via an XLR A/B switch. They were both fed via Unison USB by Roon Nucleus+, and output to the same amp and headphones. I feel the new version has better details and sounds smoother. I know they are suppose to sound the same techically, so was it just my illusion or I wanted the new version to sound better so that I have a good reason to keep the new one.

The old one was from 2018 and have been warmed up in my house for a few hours.

May 8, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #12,323 of 12,398
I am comparing yggy+og and yggy og via an XLR A/B switch. They were both fed via Unison USB by Roon Nucleus+, and output to the same amp and headphones. I feel the new version has better details and sounds smoother. I know they are suppose to sound the same techically, so was it just my illusion or I wanted the new version to sound better so that I have a good reason to keep the new one.

The old one was from 2018 and have been warmed up in my house for a few hours.
If it has been only warmed up a few hours and it’s been off for a long time before that, you might better let it settle for a few days then re-try your test. Whenever I go away and leave Yggy+ OG powered down, it takes 2-4 days to get back to its full OG self. A few hours is likely insufficient.

May 8, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #12,324 of 12,398
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Yggy Analog 1 board vs Analog 2?

Thank you
Screenshot 2024-04-23 154936.png

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #12,325 of 12,398
Can anyone hear the difference in plankton between 8 and 7.5? Layering and separation 7 vs 8! Really, I needed a good chuckle this morning with my coffee. For that matter, I enjoy a good chuckle any day any time!

May 9, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #12,327 of 12,398
Can anyone hear the difference in plankton between 8 and 7.5? Layering and separation 7 vs 8! Really, I needed a good chuckle this morning with my coffee. For that matter, I enjoy a good chuckle any day any time!

Yggdrasil flavors vary quite a bit. Heck if the MiB or LiM is on a different chassis, you won’t be to tell that it’s a Schiit DAC just from hearing how they sound when comparing them to the A2

May 9, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #12,328 of 12,398
The 7, 7.5, 8 are presentations that aligns more to the preferences of Marv, but those numbers will change quite a bit for others

May 9, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #12,329 of 12,398
The graphic was sourced from SBAF and is based on the jargon that has been defined and used frequently over there.
I lurk SBAF for information, but come to Head-Fi for information and, perhaps more importantly, socialization.
The Head-Fi crowd is a bit more tolerant of the tongue-in-cheek approach to life that I prefer to participate in.
Enjoy the chuckles!!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #12,330 of 12,398
Need to factor components used for evaluation. Any flavor of Yggy can literally be preferable or higher rank to one or the other. MiB is particularly sensitive to components hence for some, it can be the worst or the best flavor out of the three

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back