Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 569
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 569
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 569
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 569
Posting this here for those who are interested. Below, traces of CustomCans' measurements of the HD 600 (Blue) and HD 490 Pro (Red) done on the MiniDSP EARS.
Normalized at a 3-octave range centered at 500Hz, and the 490 Pro has the "Producer" pads on it.

No idea why CustomCans didn't directly overlay them. Keep in mind that the EARS absolutely does not model the acoustic impedance of an ear, so these results should be taken with heaping bags of salt.

I bring this up because, in addition to the use of the driver that looks reminiscent of the 5-series drivers, these differences remind me of another one of Sennheiser's recent products in how it compares to HD 600—the 660 S2.

I don't know about you all, but I have seen people all over the place saying the HD 660S2 is a downgrade from HD 600 and 650 (and I largely agree with this sentiment).
Additionally, the 660S2's sonic profile is suspiciously close to a headphone already available in Sennheiser's lineup—the HD 58x from Drop—while of course being rather similar to its predecessor HD 660S.

Sennheiser has been extremely, vocally intent on "not retreading the sound of the beloved 600/650", even though people like me won't shut up about wanting it 🤣
Instead they opt to retread the more muted, less coherent tuning profile found in the 58x, 660S/660S2, and now potentially the 490 Pro... but is anyone asking for more of this?

My questions are twofold:

1) Why is Sennheiser more than happy to retread the sonic territory of the 58x and 660S/2 while absolutely refusing to revisit the 600 and 650 in earnest?

2) In what way is something with a big hole in the upper midrange better for producing, mixing, or mastering music?
You're totally wrong my friend.
The 660S2 is highly appreciated both in the Head-Fi thread and in Reddit.
If you think that it's inferior to HD650 and HD600 is only because of all the most "popular" reviewers out there.
I suggest you to try them before judging. Don't copy paste the opinion of people like Resolve, DMS, ecc.
I tried all 6** line and 660S2 is the most technical and scales up wonderfully. Not the most neutral, but the most enjoyable for my tastes.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #20 of 569
You're totally wrong my friend.
The 660S2 is highly appreciated both in the Head-Fi thread and in Reddit.
If you think that it's inferior to HD650 and HD600 is only because of all the most "popular" reviewers out there.
I suggest you to try them before judging. Don't copy paste the opinion of people like Resolve, DMS, ecc.
I tried all 6** line and 660S2 is the most technical and scales up wonderfully. Not the most neutral, but the most enjoyable for my tastes.
First off, genuinely happy for you that you enjoy the headphones. I wish I could, a Senn with more bass and a warmer mid tilt sounds nice, but the treble just isn't doable on my head and ears.

Resolve and DMS are both friends of mine, and just because we agree doesn't mean we're copying from each other. As rare as it may seem in this hobby, people do arrive at the same conclusions independently and agree every once in a while :)

That being said, I deeply wish for something with the acoustic characteristics of the 660S/S2 but with the tuning of HD 650. A more acoustically open and low-Z environment for that kind of tuning is something we're sorely missing in this market. I just think the 660S2 mid-scoop into treble elevation doesn't work for my ears.

I actually think DMS's new headphone is a good example of what I was referring to when I said a more acoustically open take on a tuning like 650—though it's definitely different in important ways, namely in the midrange.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten to try the 660S2 on good amps or source equipment, so who knows what a nice tube amp would do. But still, it's a tuning I'd need some sort of softening influence on from either EQ or other items in the chain.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 569
It surely has my attention. It looks like a very well thought design, at least construction wise and I wouldn't be surprised if it proves to be at least at HD 600 level sonically.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #23 of 569
First off, genuinely happy for you that you enjoy the headphones. I wish I could, a Senn with more bass and a warmer mid tilt sounds nice, but the treble just isn't doable on my head and ears.

Resolve and DMS are both friends of mine, and just because we agree doesn't mean we're copying from each other. As rare as it may seem in this hobby, people do arrive at the same conclusions independently and agree every once in a while :)

That being said, I deeply wish for something with the acoustic characteristics of the 660S/S2 but with the tuning of HD 650. A more acoustically open and low-Z environment for that kind of tuning is something we're sorely missing in this market. I just think the 660S2 mid-scoop into treble elevation doesn't work for my ears.

I actually think DMS's new headphone is a good example of what I was referring to when I said a more acoustically open take on a tuning like 650—though it's definitely different in important ways, namely in the midrange.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten to try the 660S2 on good amps or source equipment, so who knows what a nice tube amp would do. But still, it's a tuning I'd need some sort of softening influence on from either EQ or other items in the chain.
You're correct when you say that it doesn't work for your ears. If you'll ask to a Japanese man he would probably say that a 650 is a total muddy trash (since they usually prefer brighter tunings), tuning is always extremely subjective. For this reason, I think it's important to evaluate also presentation and technicalities, as they are less subjective traits.
Tuning wise (in my opinion), the 660S2 only lacks a bit of bass, but it takes EQ extremely well in the low end.
I think it solves the shoutiness of the HD600 midrange and gives a little bit of more treble sparkle.
To my ears this is a really competitive type of tuning: warm but sparkly while being fatigue-free.
Midrange detail is incredible and its spacial abilites, while far from being something like DT880 or an Edition XS, are clearly stronger than all the rest of the 6** line.
But you have to pair it with something better than those cheap Topping amps (which are often bright tilted).
Recently bought an used Aune S6 DAC/amp for 300$ and makes them sing very well (DAC chip is an AKM).

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #25 of 569
When will these actually be available?

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 569
Timestamp for 10:06 in link. Guy from Sennheiser talking about the headphones.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #27 of 569
Tried 10.06, nothing. Anyone has a date so I don't have to watch another promo vid? :)

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #30 of 569
Yeah, he doesn't really say much of substance. But for those wondering what Sennheiser has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back