Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4,624 of 6,690
Lloyds record player

Oh my God ... I haven't thought about this brand in decades, but back when I was growing up Lloyds was literally shorthand for complete and utter crap.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #4,625 of 6,690
Oh my God ... I haven't thought about this brand in decades, but back when I was growing up Lloyds was literally shorthand for complete and utter crap.
But a step up from the Silvertone
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 1.09.47 PM.png
.....and you could space out the speakers...come to think about I used to stick my head between them like a pair of oversized headphones.. lol

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #4,627 of 6,690
I build my system to avoid ”critical listening“. Greater amount of detail matters only if it makes the music more life like and realistic/transparent. Greater amount of detail for the sake of detail is like using music to listen to your gear. You don’t sound like that kind of audiophile.

What is the rest of your system? you may not want to upgrade if 660S2 plays music the way you like.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #4,628 of 6,690
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #4,629 of 6,690
Aug 7, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #4,630 of 6,690
I am wondering is critical listenting with the s2 possible? I feel i have much more details on these compared with my meze 109 pro
It was possible to a great extent with every 6## series headphone, why not with the S2? After all, most if not all users here have reported that it is a real upgrade vs preceding models. However, not everyone expects the same things from critical listening or have equally revealing/demanding electronics.
Some pro makers like, say, Beyerdynamic still choose to support critical listening with treble hot models since much detail or mixing problems reveal themselves in that frequency area. This is is artificial and clearly intentional but it is not helpful for musical enjoyment in a natural and critical way. Concerning the Meze 109 pro, though I am surprised to read that you find it (comparatively) lacking in detail, I can't hide that I have never considered it as a very good solution for accurate music reproduction (and thus enjoyment), exactly because of its rather hot treble and general lack of fine balance. This is often reported as a cause of irritation and returns (in its thread). If some detail is masked it can be due to recessed frequency areas between the overexposed ones. The 109 pro has a rather W shaped frequency response to make it "lively and fun", adored by some people but not at all my cup of tea, if natural and sensitive musical reproduction is required. From my point of view the source of enjoyment is mostly naturallness, neutrality and detail the way Sennheiser does it over the years - and a few others too.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #4,631 of 6,690
Wait, why two volume and two tone controls?

Each speaker…?
Exactly....when stereo as opposed to mono record players started to become popular many actually set up the speakers in different parts of the room or different rooms altogether, I kid you not. And I find this is still practised today. :rolling_eyes:

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #4,632 of 6,690
I am wondering is critical listenting with the s2 possible?
Depends how you define critical listening....

For me "critical listening" is purposely sitting down to listen to a piece of music or recording with as little distractions as possible, no computer, phone, etc, and with the "do not disturb".
So yes, for me the S2, with their forgiving and easy nature, are just fine for critical listening.

Now if one is referring to "analytical listening", discovering and listening for strengths or weakness in the playback chain from the recording, source, amplification, speakers or headphones....then yes and no.

But like all things I guess the terms are open to interpretation.
:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #4,633 of 6,690
Aug 7, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #4,634 of 6,690
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #4,635 of 6,690
Depends how you define critical listening....

For me "critical listening" is purposely sitting down to listen
Gave this a bit more thought as I was actually thinking "serious listening" as my friends and family always said when I went to listen to my stereo that I was off to my "critical listening" room. :slight_smile:

https://www.espressoenglish.net/difference-between-criticize-criticism-critique-critic-and-critical/
  • criticize – a verb meaning to identify negative things;
  • criticism – a noun referring to the statement of negative things;
  • critique – a verb/noun referring to evaluating and identifying positive and negative points;
  • critic – a person who judges or evaluates, and sometimes a person who only finds negative points;
  • critical – two meanings: a person who tends to find fault, or a thing that is very important or essential."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back