Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4,651 of 6,689
Not bad, hang over from my recording days, and it's Canadian Eh!....but I do have other gear. :sunglasses:
I have been curious about their amps for a long time.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #4,652 of 6,689
I believe the biggest caveat quite often ignored when focusing on what dac chip is implemented is the supporting power supply and the analogue amplification output circuity, ($$$$), otherwise any quality digital to analogue conversion IMHO is all for naught. :rolling_eyes:
Exactly! We often read for certain brands of dac chips that they have this or that sound signature. This is mostly nonsense. The analogue amplification stage following after the conversion chips is very important and determines the final sound quality. It needs competent design and fine materials to sound excellent. Also a very good power supply in terms of filtering and stability (...weight and countless capacitors are not as important as some makers want us to believe, not for dac power supplies anyway). In the end a very precise and transparent dac can never be too cheap. (Neither does it have to be a five-digit $ model to reach to the highest possible sonic levels, but that is another matter). In any case, modern headphones in the price range of the HD-660S2 are able to show differences between many dac ranges and deserve very fine amplification too.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #4,653 of 6,689
Does a dac need to be a five-digit $ model to reach the highest possible sonic levels :thinking: Yes, it does, as much as I hate paying high price for toys.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #4,655 of 6,689
I have been curious about their amps for a long time.
I started with Bryston in the early 80s for my studio and then the ST series which focused less on the "pro-audio" and put them on the map for many aspiring audiophiles with their original price performance ratio. But like most things hand made and not manufactured off shore, their prices have escalated forever skyward, making it rather unaffordable for most, although used units pop up for descent pricing once in awhile and still have some of the 20 year warranty.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #4,656 of 6,689
I started with Bryston in the early 80s for my studio and then the ST series which focused less on the "pro-audio" and put them on the map for many aspiring audiophiles with their original price performance ratio. But like most things hand made and not manufactured off shore, their prices have escalated forever skyward, making it rather unaffordable for most, although used units pop up for descent pricing once in awhile and still have some of the 20 year warranty.
I looked hard at them about two years ago as I bumped up my amp budget and was looking at expensive (for me) used amps. When I started to dig around about them I was told they were somewhat neutral, had great power and were a high quality amp.
But the people that I had spoken to about them then said that they had moved their BHA-1's on after a few years of use. That kind of threw me. They loved them, but only for a while?

I ended up going with Violectric and iFi models. And I never plan on selling them.
I do go through secondary amps here and there, but they are bought to be tried and probably sold. :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #4,657 of 6,689
I do go through secondary amps here and there, but they are bought to be tried and probably sold. :smile:
… these are known as ‘amp fodder’ … or ‘gainea pigs’ … 🙄😣👎

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #4,658 of 6,689
they had moved their BHA-1's on after a few years of use. That kind of threw me. They loved them, but only for a while?
Nature of the hobby, grass is always greener, thrill of the chase, familiarity breeds contempt...we're a fickle bunch. Still, a few years for some with any piece of equipment is a long time. lol......I'm still happily using mine, going on 10 years now. :)

Aug 9, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #4,659 of 6,689
I looked hard at them about two years ago as I bumped up my amp budget and was looking at expensive (for me) used amps. When I started to dig around about them I was told they were somewhat neutral, had great power and were a high quality amp.
But the people that I had spoken to about them then said that they had moved their BHA-1's on after a few years of use. That kind of threw me. They loved them, but only for a while?

I ended up going with Violectric and iFi models. And I never plan on selling them.
I think people didn't like the cap coupled output on the BHA-1. My memory is fuzzy at this point. Back in the days you could already get better gear for the price from DIY builders/Headamp.

Aug 9, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #4,660 of 6,689
I think people didn't like the cap coupled output on the BHA-1. My memory is fuzzy at this point. Back in the days you could already get better gear for the price from DIY builders/Headamp.
While I am still curious about their HPA, nothing ever jumped out about it being a must have.

The Violectrics have a strong following and I was swept up. And SO happy I was.

The iFi had a ton of power and lots of toys, which I still enjoy using.

I seem to like warm and/or fun amps. Not much of an audiophile.

Unlike most of my purchasing history, I love these two and can't ever see moving either one unless it breaks or wears out. :smile:

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #4,661 of 6,689
While I am still curious about their HPA, nothing ever jumped out about it being a must have.

The Violectrics have a strong following and I was swept up. And SO happy I was.

The iFi had a ton of power and lots of toys, which I still enjoy using.

I seem to like warm and/or fun amps. Not much of an audiophile.

Unlike most of my purchasing history, I love these two and can't ever see moving either one unless it breaks or wears out. :smile:
Since you are already happy I am not going to make any suggestions :sweat_smile:

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #4,662 of 6,689
That’s fine, will post them out tomorrow. Please make sure you come back to the forum when you receive them and are happy as I don’t want anyone to think I’d sell dodgy stuff.

Enjoy!
Hi,

First of all thanks to ekbalco for fast shipping and quick responses through the purchase .
Headphones arrived in mint condition and as described.

I received the hd660s2 today and now I am testing them and comparing to my hd660s.

My setup is : smsl su9n es9038pro dac +sh9 thx 888 amplifier

Time to do some testing .

My first impressions are that I don't really get the hype with the new hd660s2 maybe they need some burn in but in terms of capabilities they are no mayor improvement over my hd 660s , yes the bass extends lower but it isn't that far from the 660s the S2 seems a bit more "relaxed" and not as sharp specially in the treble 🤔 , it's been a while since I had hd600 and 650 and I forgot how relatively easy the 300ohm drivers are to drive , the hd660s2 it's a bit more power hungry compared to 660s but not far off only needs about 4 steps in volume to achieve the same volume level .
I need to spend more time comparing them as I only listened to a few songs so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_093305.jpg
    IMG_20230810_093305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #4,663 of 6,689
Glad you received them safe and sound. If you could leave feedback on eBay I’d greatly appreciate it as I’m building up my feedback and it’s going slow!

I agree about the 660S2. I thought they offered something “different” but I wasn’t convinced that the actual sound really improved on the HD600. I used to own the original 660s and enjoyed them but, once again, couldn’t get over my liking (or is it just that I am so used to them ?) for the HD600. Very difficult.

What I will say is that the 660S2 strikes me as a great “all rounder” that tries so hard to be the greater sum of all the 600 series parts but falls slightly short IMO.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #4,664 of 6,689
My first impressions are that I don't really get the hype
Nothing should really jump out as the HD660S was already pretty good.
yes the bass extends lower but it isn't that far from the 660s the S2 seems a bit more "relaxed" and not as sharp specially in the treble
And that is really all we were asking for, not a new phone but some slight corrections which IMHO made the S2 slightly more complete and enjoyable when listening to multiple genres of music.
Give the S2 a week or two on their own without comparisons to the 660S or other phones and you may be pleasantly surprised, no promises and like always YMMV.
:)

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #4,665 of 6,689
Back in the days you could already get better gear for the price from DIY builders/Headamp.
Believe it was the Gilmore Headamp GS-1/mk2 that was on my short list, but slightly out of reach at the time and an almost 6 month waiting period and there was also one by Ray Samuels...in the end I went for the BHA1 as I was egging Bryston on for years to make one. lol

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13425.msg115324#msg115324

29 Sep 2004,
"Question for James Tanner,
Just curious if Bryston has ever thought of manufacturing a dedicated Headphone Amp."

"Hi Rob,
It has come up but no decisions as yet because it is a very small market .
james"

...and that was then, times have obviously changed. lol

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 8.46.38 AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back