Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #9,931 of 46,554
I already have another headphone which I immensly enjoy in every single way. My main source is top notch (Harman/Kardon HD990 CD-player) unlike many other peoples here (I think there are way too many iPods, iPhones, Androids, mp3s etc. altogether on this forum as sources). Just my 2 cents

It sounds like it's your personal preference. If you listen to a lot of orchestral music, a headphone with more aggressive treble may be more to your taste. I've noticed that headphones that have an overly bright or harsh treble signature with electronica, acoustic, rock, pop, and jazz, may sound good with dense orchestral music.

Your idea that others prefer the HD650 because of poorer source material isn't based on any solid information--many HD650 owners are using it with high quality source material and good equipment.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #9,932 of 46,554
Quote:
It sounds like it's your personal preference. If you listen to a lot of orchestral music, a headphone with more aggressive treble may be more to your taste. I've noticed that headphones that have an overly bright or harsh treble signature with electronica, acoustic, rock, pop, and jazz, may sound good with dense orchestral music.
Your idea that others prefer the HD650 because of poorer source material isn't based on any solid information--many HD650 owners are using it with high quality source material and good equipment.

Hi. Of course it is my personal preference. It is very hard for us to be objective when it comes to sound or anything else for that matter. We feel and react to similar things in different ways with our senses. Some people like different nuances of the red color, other people hate them, some people like salty food other people hate it, some people love winter other people love summer. We cannot discuss sound signatures onbjectively either. Absence of upper mid information for me is "laid-back character" for somebody else. Presence of higher harmonics for me is "brightness" or "harshness" for other people. I see it as something positive, others as something negative.
I was probably wrong when I said that poorer source material would be the main reason for preferring HD650. I am sure many people who enjoy HD650 actually use proper sources. Anyway I believe that matching of the components is critical. Too dark a cd-player can bloat the sound of an already dark headphone. The same is applicable for bright sound. But this is of course just common sense, every audiophile knows that.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #9,933 of 46,554
Quote:
Hi. Of course it is my personal preference. It is very hard for us to be objective when it comes to sound or anything else for that matter. We feel and react to similar things in different ways with our senses. Some people like different nuances of the red color, other people hate them, some people like salty food other people hate it, some people love winter other people love summer. We cannot discuss sound signatures onbjectively either. Absence of upper mid information for me is "laid-back character" for somebody else. Presence of higher harmonics for me is "brightness" or "harshness" for other people. I see it as something positive, others as something negative.
I was probably wrong when I said that poorer source material would be the main reason for preferring HD650. I am sure many people who enjoy HD650 actually use proper sources. Anyway I believe that matching of the components is critical. Too dark a cd-player can bloat the sound of an already dark headphone. The same is applicable for bright sound. But this is of course just common sense, every audiophile knows that.

well i guess maybe their signature is not for you(?) considering you have tried them with many sources and amps

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #9,934 of 46,554
Quote:

I am not really following you here. Do you think that classical music is too emotional and that is the reason why I cannot enjoy HD650s?

I think that he meant he thought the 650 may not be the best for classical therefore since classical is your preferred genre "it would make sence" that the 650 wouldn't be your favorite. Although I like the 650 for about everything including classical. But in fairness, I'm treble sensitive. 

It sounds like you've found a line of hp's that you enjoy so I say stick with them. Don't force the Senn's on yourself...they are not the perfect hp and not for everyone. 

The 650 is like a high maintenance gf. To get the best from her, you'll need to treat her right. Starting with a very nice amp, good source and good material. But if you do, she will certainly satisfy. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #9,935 of 46,554
Quote:

well i guess maybe their signature is not for you(?) considering you have tried them with many sources and amps

Agreed :wink:

Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #9,936 of 46,554
Quote:
Hi
I never really learned to appreciate the sound of the HD650. Every time I listened to K701 or DT880 and went back to my HD650 I felt something was missing. I tried different sources and different amps (both SS and tubes) and nothing of that feeling changed really. HD650 are pronouncedly colored in a way that disturbes me. Even the little brother HD595 sounds more balanced to my ear even if the sound is not nearly rafined and natural. DT880 or K701 are for my taste more revealing and "musical" and have a better soundstage. I can understand though that pepople enjoy their HD650 as they probably can be more forgiving and easier to listen to than the above mentioned, but is it really High Fidelity?

Cheers
SZ

My views re my Q701 and HD650 are the exact opposite, I try to get to like theQ701, but when I swap to HD650 it's like the music starts. Like having a rich espresso after some bitter instant.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #9,937 of 46,554
Quote:
Hi
I never really learned to appreciate the sound of the HD650. Every time I listened to K701 or DT880 and went back to my HD650 I felt something was missing. I tried different sources and different amps (both SS and tubes) and nothing of that feeling changed really. HD650 are pronouncedly colored in a way that disturbes me. Even the little brother HD595 sounds more balanced to my ear even if the sound is not nearly rafined and natural. DT880 or K701 are for my taste more revealing and "musical" and have a better soundstage. I can understand though that pepople enjoy their HD650 as they probably can be more forgiving and easier to listen to than the above mentioned, but is it really High Fidelity?

Cheers
SZ

My views re my Q701 and HD650 are the exact opposite, I try to get to like theQ701, but when I swap to HD650 it's like the music starts. Like having a rich espresso after some bitter instant.
What kind of music do you like? What source and amp do you use?

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #9,940 of 46,554
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #9,941 of 46,554
Why don't we cut to the chase here ..... I also felt the HD650 never fulfilled me .... always felt that half the material was missing (the highs), and there are many who feel that way...... recommend the HD600 for those folks.  Having said that, this is clearly a matter of personal preference and it is undeniable that there are legions of HD650 admirers. 

I enjoy following this thread being a current HD600 owner and former HD650 owner, but this being the HD650 Appreciation Thread, one does have to wonder if it is baiting to post derogatory posts here. 

Szoze, may I suggest you try posting your feelings regarding the HD650 in the HD600 Appreciation Thread, where you might find more sympathetic reaction.

Viva la difference!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #9,943 of 46,554
Why don't we cut to the chase here ..... I also felt the HD650 never fulfilled me .... always felt that half the material was missing (the highs), and there are many who feel that way...... recommend the HD600 for those folks.  Having said that, this is clearly a matter of personal preference and it is undeniable that there are legions of HD650 admirers. 

I enjoy following this thread being a current HD600 owner and former HD650 owner, but this being the HD650 Appreciation Thread, one does have to wonder if it is baiting to post derogatory posts here. 

Szoze, may I suggest you try posting your feelings regarding the HD650 in the HD600 Appreciation Thread, where you might find more sympathetic reaction.

Viva la difference!

Thanks. I will do that. My intention was not to provoke.

Cheers

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #9,945 of 46,554

Quote:
Thanks. I will do that. My intention was not to provoke.

But here's the thing - the quality of the HD650 isn't really debatable. This headphone has been near the top of many lists for years and years. It's sonic qualities, both pro and con, have been discussed ad nauseum here at Head-Fi (and on other forums) for years and years. A quick forum search will provide you with more HD650 reading material than you'll know what to do with. It's place among the great headphones really isn't questionable as far as I'm concerned.

Is it a high fidelity headphone? Absolutely. Is what you hear coming out of those drivers highly dependent on quality of source and amplification? Like many other upper-tier headphones, of course the answer is yes. Is it possible that you personally don't enjoy the HD650? Certainly, but that doesn't make it an unworthy headphone or a bad headphone. It simply doesn't appeal to your tastes, just like the K701 doesn't appeal to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back