Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,986 of 8,689
With that said, output impedance has effects on distortion as well. It does increase with significance of OI.

Benchmark paper. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/11653109-the-0-ohm-headphone-amplifier

Is overdamped less preferrable or less damping more pleasing for the ears? What is more pleasing has to do with subjectivity of ears and the headphone response. Also brings into question, what is the true headphone characteristic.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,987 of 8,689
Screenshot_20180117-000706.jpg
The Glass on the HD 820 is Concave...Tyll called it Convex...that is simply wrong
Definition-of-concave-versus-convex-1.png

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,988 of 8,689
Bass of S version to my ear is less precision than non S one. Non S is more close to electrostat than S version. It will be a king of dynamic if it has better low range power and kill a 6khz peak.
Btw S version have stronger low bass although not yet at ground breaking level.... if tightly hold driver's cover/frame to support more rigid, bass respond better.
Some one with a measuring system can try what and if any change in result THD if hold driver tightly?

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,991 of 8,689
More food for thought...
9jpx3U3.png

Without knowing the output impedance (OI) of sources other reviewers used to perform their DIY-measurements and listening tests, let's take a look at one of the most popular amps for the HD800 / HD800S: the HDVD800.

According to this post (and others I've found), Sennheiser deliberately designed the HDVD800 with an OI of 43 ohms, to warm the HD800 up a bit. Thing is, even though nominal impedance of the HD800 / HD800S is 300 ohms, their impedance curve has actually a massive bump in bass around 100Hz, so driving them from a higher OI source will make them sound slightly warmer and perhaps a bit easier to listen to.

However, higher OI also means lower electrical damping, and as a result, slightly less control of the driver and slightly more distortion. I haven't found any measurements for the HD800 or HD800S in that regard, but this post demonstrates the effect nicely for the 250 ohms DT880 Pro.

So, considering that the damping factor of a HDVD800 driving the HD800 / HD800S is about 330 times lower than that of your Audio Precision APx1701, the listener may hear the headphones as both slightly bassier and less controlled than what your measurements would suggest. Moreover, even a small difference in THD between the HD800 and HD800S (provided there is any in the first place) might increase too, with higher output impedance.

As I said, just food for thought... particularly for those thinking the matter is straightforward and prematurely conclude that the emperor has no clothes.

@james444, you are correct that using an amp with low output impedance is going to be more ideal for measuring headphones, to minimize any chance the amp will affect the measurements. While we mostly use the APx1701, we also sometimes use the Neve RNHP (which also has low output impedance). We try to remember to always show (and link to) the instruments we're using for a given measurement, as it's certainly relevant. We have two entirely different headphone measurement fixtures in three possible configurations, so it's important information to know when you're looking at our measurements.

While I very much enjoy several tube amps for listening with the HD800 and HD800S, they would not be reasonable candidates for the purpose of measuring the headphones, for obvious reasons. And before using any device other than the APx1701 to drive headphones or earphones for measurement (like the Neve RNHP, which we use sometimes), we first measure those devices on theAPx555 to assure they're up to the task of both driving the headphone and staying out of the way (and to set levels).

As much as is reasonably possible, the idea is to measure only the device under test (in this case, in this thread, headphones), with the instruments being quiet enough to stay out of the way, and also precise enough to get the full measure of the DUT (device under test). By any measure, I think most would agree that both the Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S are high-precision, low-distortion devices. As such, you need instruments of even greater precision and lower distortion than these high-precision headphones to attempt to get their full and proper measure. To that end, we're using the best audio analyzer currently available and the some of the best measurement microphones and ear simulators currently available.

Given that these are also acoustical measurements, you also want to eliminate as much environmental influence (ambient noise, vibration, etc.) from the setup. If there is no attempt to isolate the headphone and measurement microphones from environmental influence, it will reflect in the measurements. At our office, then, we do also attempt to isolate using a laboratory-grade acoustic and vibration isolation enclosure:

Herzan-3.jpg

This is something we should definitely examine in greater detail in the future, but, for now, read Dan Foley's article in audioXpress that discusses the importance of precision in audio measurements: “I Can Hear It. Why Can’t I Measure It?”

We've been discussing harmonic distortion and total harmonic distortion (THD). Let's look at Audio Precision's definition of THD in their APx500 manual:

Audio Precision in the APx500 manual said:
THD stands for Total Harmonic Distortion, a measure of all the harmonic distortion products in the DUT’s output, with the fundamental stimulus tone removed, and without consideration of noise. THD measurements are usually made with band-limiting or weighting filters. True THD measurements can be valuable but are rare (although easily done in the Audio Precision APx analyzers), since with most techniques it is difficult to measure the distortion products without also measuring the noise. See THD+N.

Here's another interesting read at AP.com about THD: More about THD+N and THD

Now let's take a look at one of the first FFT measurements I posted in this thread (click on it to enlarge):

FFT---Sennheiser-HD800---Sennheiser-HD800S---1-of-2---no-cursors.jpg

If THD is the measure of all the harmonic distortion products in the DUT's output, let's look at that in this FFT and the distortion products shown. In this measurement, the headphones measured were measured enclosed in the isolation enclosure shown in the above photo. Again, the fundamental in that FFT is a 40 Hz sine wave. H4 is 80 dBSPL below the fundamental, and H5 is more than 80 dBSPL below. H6 is about 93 dBSPL below the fundamental. While perhaps I'm oversimplifying here, I think it makes a relevant point: I've been asked repeatedly about comparative measurements from DIY headphone measurements rigs (that probably generate most of the headphone measurements you find on the web), but I just do not feel they are precise enough to give us the answers we're looking for in this discussion -- a discussion of the harmonic distortion of two very high-precision headphones. Are these DIY headphone measurement rigs precise enough to selectively measure these two headphones' true harmonic distortion amidst instrument noise (see Dan's article above) and environmental noise? If you're hemming and hawing about the answer, let me answer this for you: No.

Tyll also acknowledged the difficulty of properly measuring distortion:

Tyll at InnerFidelity said:
...Maybe the most important thing to know about my THD+noise measurements is that they're the most likely plot to be erroneous. Because it's a very sensitive acoustic measurement and I don't have a laboratory grade isolation chamber, if a large truck goes down my street during a THD+noise measurement you'll probably see it in the plot as a small rise. Also, if water is running in my house or if the refrigerator kicks on, these might produce enough noise to increase the recorded THD+noise...

Even with the use of a lab-grade acoustic and vibration isolation enclosure, we turn off our two HVAC systems when measuring. If we see environmental influence in a measurement, we either notate it or discard it entirely. If while a measurement is running, if we hear a loud car, truck, or airplane -- or even if someone flushes a toilet in the office next door -- we stop the measurement and wait. As Tyll mentioned, trying to properly measure a headphone's harmonic distortion means having to make a very sensitive acoustic measurement. And the more precise your device under test, the more precise your measurement setup needs to be. And these two headphones are precise.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,993 of 8,689
.................trying to properly measure a headphone's harmonic distortion means having to make a very sensitive acoustic measurement. And the more precise your device under test, the more precise your measurement setup needs to be. And these two headphones are precise.

So can we venture to say that those who have recorded distortion it is because the recorded devise, the headphones are just "reproducing" the "ambient" distortion which has not been accounted for in the first place.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,994 of 8,689
So can we venture to say that those who have recorded distortion it is because the recorded devise, the headphones are just "reproducing" the "ambient" distortion which has not been accounted for in the first place.

Imo, we can't. "Ambient" distortion would have to show up equally in measurements of both the HD800 and HD800S . If THD readings for the HD800S turn out consistently higher than for the HD800, then it's not very likely in my book that the culprit is ambient noise... even on a DIY measurement rig. Jm2c.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,995 of 8,689
I'm curious to see distortion measurements compared to an anechoic chamber.
Having visited some ridiculously cool facilities, I've been in some very cool anechoic chambers (and we have access to some that are at the facilities of a friend and business partner not too far away). A full anechoic chamber (wire grid floor, wedge below) would certainly be better still than what we have here. That said, we have neither the budget (hundreds of thousands of dollars, or even millions) nor the space. Even with access to someone else's anechoic chambers, it's simply not reasonable for us to drive our gear there for testing, so Herzan custom-designed an acoustic and vibration isolation chamber as large as we could fit through our doors. It's very effective for our purposes, and was a five-figure expense, instead of six- or seven-figure.

If you look at the DIY headphone measurement rigs, there's not always a lot of information on the full rig (mics, analyzers, software, isolation, etc.). Again, look at the harmonics in the FFT above. In trying to measure only the harmonic distortion of the HD800 and HD800S, I think we need more precision than you're likely to get with these:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,996 of 8,689
Imo, we can't. "Ambient" distortion would have to show up equally in measurements of both the HD800 and HD800S . .....

You do have a point there.... Jude is getting similar results from both phones....others apparently are not....so nothing definitive as of yet, although I'd side with the better, more precise measuring as a point of reference.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,997 of 8,689
Tyll also acknowledged the difficulty of properly measuring distortion:

Even with the use of a lab-grade acoustic and vibration isolation enclosure, we turn off our two HVAC systems when measuring. If we see environmental influence in a measurement, we either notate it or discard it entirely. If while a measurement is running, if we hear a loud car, truck, or airplane -- or even if someone flushes a toilet in the office next door -- we stop the measurement and wait. As Tyll mentioned, trying to properly measure a headphone's harmonic distortion means having to make a very sensitive acoustic measurement. And the more precise your device under test, the more precise your measurement setup needs to be. And these two headphones are precise.

Shouldn't measurements that are not repeatable be discarded, until it is repeatable/stable?

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,999 of 8,689
It would interesting to see headphone measurements out of various amps of same and different impedances. Various impedance ranges, tubes compared to solid-state. I think this would provide some deduction of what is at play.

Unloaded source measurements I do not find to be telling.

This all very interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #3,000 of 8,689
You do have a point there.... Jude is getting similar results from both phones....others apparently are not....so nothing definitive as of yet,

Jude is getting a very small (but so far consistent) bump in second order distortion (H2) for the HD800S compared to the HD800. That's for a fundamental frequency of 40Hz, to match the FFT that Tyll posted in his review. Jude and Tyll both get higher H2 readings for the HD800S vs. HD800, but Jude's difference is only a fraction of Tyll's.

However, the 40Hz FFT is just a part of the picture. All other distortion measurements I've seen of the HD800S vs. HD800 deal with total harmonic distortion (THD). That's why I asked Jude for THD graphs a few posts back, to give us a more complete picture of his results. (You can't compare apples and oranges in that regard, you need to compare THD to THD)

... although I'd side with the better, more precise measuring as a point of reference.

Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn't it? And yet the matter MAY be a bit more complex still. Note the upper case, because I'm just a curious amateur and not a pro.

What I was trying to point towards in my last post, is that Jude not only has the better, more precise measuring rig, but also the technically better amp to drive these phones. The HDVD800 is Sennheiser's recommended amp for the HD800 / HD800S and certainly no slouch, but Jude's low output impedance amp is undeniably better in controlling the driver movement (= electrical damping) than Senn's higher output impedance amp. Which means, that some issues you may encounter with a higher impedance amp like the HDVD800, may only show up to a much lesser extent in measurements with Jude's amp, because it may be simply "too good".

Note that this is just me thinking out loud, and I may well be totally wrong. But as long as there's no plausible explanation why others are getting different THD results, all bets are off. It would be too easy imo, to ascribe this simply to inferior DIY rigs, at least not until we have more in-depth information.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back