Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #8,596 of 8,777
Yes, you effectively did....

Movin on.
To be fair, that may also mean an amplifier that is better suited for the load that the HD800S is, as opposed to better meaning more costly.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #8,597 of 8,777
Geez, if only people were made of money to switch gear that easily :smirk:
Why don't we just talk about gear performance and synergy and leave the value judgement to the individual. I was at a dealer recently and someone bought a pair of $120k Dali speakers to put in their $8mm vacation house - so to that person $120k is not a big spend.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #8,598 of 8,777
To be fair, that may also mean an amplifier that is better suited for the load that the HD800S is, as opposed to better meaning more costly.
To be fairer, whether you spend more or less on an item is irrelevant here as you're still spending more to replace said item.

Now we can parse words all day and night but in this instance my point still stands.

At any rate, it's up to the OP to decide what they wish to do. I was simply making a point.

Peace :sunglasses:

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #8,599 of 8,777
For what it's worth, I think the HD800S works extremely well with the HDVD800 (as it does in my view also with the HDV820). In fact, I think it's one of the best combinations out there for classical music at least. I have a slight preference for the Moon 430HA, which also has an excellent crossfeed circuit. But I think these are among those amps which allow the HD800S to work as it was designed to work.
I happy you found your dream combo🎊🎊🎊

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #8,600 of 8,777
To be fairer, whether you spend more or less on an item is irrelevant here as you're still spending more to replace said item.

Now we can parse words all day and night but in this instance my point still stands.

At any rate, it's up to the OP to decide what they wish to do. I was simply making a point.

Peace :sunglasses:
Which was an attempt to put words in my mouth and was kind of aggressive to boot. Just enjoy the tunes dude😀

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #8,602 of 8,777
For what it's worth, I think the HD800S works extremely well with the HDVD800 (as it does in my view also with the HDV820). In fact, I think it's one of the best combinations out there for classical music at least. I have a slight preference for the Moon 430HA, which also has an excellent crossfeed circuit. But I think these are among those amps which allow the HD800S to work as it was designed to work.
I actually agree as I don't think Sennheiser would put out a headphone amp such as the HDVD800 (or HDV820), if it couldn't support their HD800 series headphones.

In fact, I came extremely close to getting an HDV820 to go with my HD800S. but the killer for me was lack of automated muting of external active speakers when the headphone was plugged in. If it wasn't for that, I could very well be using the HDV820.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #8,603 of 8,777
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #8,604 of 8,777
I actually agree as I don't think Sennheiser would put out a headphone amp such as the HDVD800 (or HDV820), if it couldn't support their HD800 series headphones.
It supports their headphones.there are much better options for less money.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #8,605 of 8,777
FWIW, before designing their own amps Sennheiser used to present its flagships (including the HD-800) driven by Lehmann Audio headphone amps. I can't praise enough the Linear D II and its internal dac which is almost indistinguishable from the Chord Qutest sonically. Both dacs are many steps above many other digital sources that I have tried. The Lehmann is extremely transparent to the source / recording sound quality, revealing any differences very easily.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #8,606 of 8,777

In fact, I came extremely close to getting an HDV820 to go with my HD800S. but the killer for me was lack of automated muting of external active speakers when the headphone was plugged in. If it wasn't for that, I could very well be using the HDV820.
There's some interesting material out there on Axel Grell's thoughts - as the designer of the amps and the phones - just can't locate it for the moment. The HDV820 was designed with the HD800 series in mind. I've flip-flopped myself over the years - using the HD800 and the HD800S - and the Senn and Moon amps (and the SPL Phonitor incidentally). There are differences in sound in my opinion - although I find all of them quite convincing most of the time - which I find interesting in itself. If the HDV820 incorporated an analogue crossfeed circuit (like the Moon and the SPL) I suspect it might be my amp of choice, with the HD800S. But it doesn't, and the Moon is excellent. I've come to regard the HD800S balance with any of the amps I've mentioned to be very natural for the music I listen to.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #8,608 of 8,777
There are better Amps than HDV820 I think, It measures terrible from what I've seen.
Well, I'd suggest a listen before coming to any firm conclusions. I find the DAC section to be very good - quiet - detailed - typical of the circuits involved. Runs DSD very nicely. I prefer my Marantz SA10 as a source - which upconverts all inputs to DSD256. On the other hand, some don't like DSD. There's no accounting for taste. I've seen a range of measurements, some more persuasive than others. I haven't measured any of them. I think the DAC sections in the Moon and Phonitor (when incorporated) are very similar. I certainly wouldn't choose one of these over the others for the digital side. The Sennheiser is the quietest amp I've owned (mechanical) - and the electrical noise is inaudible to my ear.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #8,609 of 8,777
Instead of listening to naysayer stuff, why not do your own research and figure out for what works for you. Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean theirs is right for you.

I never ask anyone what I should buy, whether PC gear, camera gear, or hi-fi. I simply research what I'm interested in, and then ask questions based said research.

I had a few people here try to talk me out of what I got, but their concerns/issues weren't mine, and I so got what was best for me and my ears. Zero regrets.

My two cents.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #8,610 of 8,777
Until there is more money in the wallet for something better, it will be like this.. :) Got this Sabaj, literally for free and it works just fine.

Attachments

• senseb1.png
    senseb1.png
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back