Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #361 of 6,504
Speculating on price and being optimistic is always nice, but judging from recent trends I'm erring on the side of caution- it's going to be damn expensive. Certainly more so than the "obsolete" HD 800.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #362 of 6,504
  Speculating on price and being optimistic is always nice, but judging from recent trends I'm erring on the side of caution- it's going to be damn expensive. Certainly more so than the "obsolete" HD 800.

Yeah it just struck me as odd that they were really quiet about the release and watching the video stated that the performance was "a little better".  So, I think it's a marketing flub if they then show up with a huge sticker shock and were kinda 'mehhh' with the introduction and video.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #364 of 6,504
Long ago, when Head-Fi was new, Sennheiser was a value leader. I was not on the forums in those days, but I read the front pages of Head-Fi and HeadWize religiously. You had to spend many times the cost of the HD-600 to get a better headphone. Ok, some folks preferred the Grado RS-1 or RS-2 and a few freaks (joking) liked AKG. For whatever reason, STAX was not really discussed much. TOTL headphones were also not discussed nearly as much as today. Partly because they were not easy to get in the USA and partly because the market for them was very very small.  I'd like to see Senn realign their HD range and return to the value proposition of old by making their money through volume, like they do one their more mainstream headphones. They could own the under 2K market. Assuming manufacturing costs are as low as I think... Lower the HD-600 to $250, if possible. Price the HD-650 around $399. Drop the HD-700 until a replacement is ready and then price it under $700. Price the 800 at $999. Price the 800S (and the upcoming closed back?) at under $1500. Create an HD-850 at under 2K. I think they would have a hard time meeting demand at those prices. The audiophile headphone market is large enough now to support this approach, in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #365 of 6,504
+1...the original HD800s are DEFINITELY obsolete. If I owned a pair, I'd get them on the FS forum and try to eke out a few hundred bucks before the bottom falls out.

Heck, just PM me. I can scratch up enough to fund the cable portion of your must-have purchase! :wink:

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #366 of 6,504
  My excitement over this announcement is running just as high as anyone's. Of course I'm hoping for a price that is both reasonable and affordable. But, only time will tell and then each of can decide if the price is reasonable and affordable for them. 

Remember that Sennheiser was founded in 1945. How many of these other companies producing totl headphones have been around even 10 years? My point is that Sennheiser know what they are doing and they will price this product fairly. 

My only issue is the included cable. Many of us will have to stretch to reach whatever price Sennheiser publishes for the 800s. A bundled cable will only add to the cost. Also, there will be many who don't have a balanced amp to use with the cable. Then there will also be many who already have a balanced third party cable or would prefer one over the bundled cable. I don't mind eating Ramen when it comes to my headphone addiction but I don't like to eat it for a cable that I want or need. Look at how many stock "unused" hd800 cables show up every week here. Imagine how many stock "unused" balanced cables there would be from 800s sales. Just my 2c. 

True. On the flip side, with those low prices for unused cables dumped on the market might get some people without balanced cables to buy them. They might not be able to afford to sell their old 800 and buy an 800S, but they might be able to afford a cheap cable. Then, the "balanced throughout" bug might bite, leading to, shall we say, further system improvements? 
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #367 of 6,504
  Long ago, when Head-Fi was new, Sennheiser was a value leader. I was not on the forums in those days, but I read the front pages of Head-Fi and HeadWize religiously. You had to spend many times the cost of the HD-600 to get a better headphone. Ok, some folks preferred the Grado RS-1 or RS-2 and a few freaks (joking) liked AKG. For whatever reason, STAX was not really discussed much. TOTL headphones were also not discussed nearly as much as today. Partly because they were not easy to get in the USA and partly because the market for them was very very small.  I'd like to see Senn realign their HD range and return to the value proposition of old by making their money through volume, like they do one their more mainstream headphones. They could own the under 2K market. Assuming manufacturing costs are as low as I think... Lower the HD-600 to $250, if possible. Price the HD-650 around $399. Drop the HD-700 until a replacement is ready and then price it under $700. Price the 800 at $999. Price the 800S (and the upcoming closed back?) at under $1500. Create an HD-850 at under 2K. I think they would have a hard time meeting demand at those prices. The audiophile headphone market is large enough now to support this approach, in my opinion.

Yes, seems like more systems are going to headphones, but I don't have real data to back that up, just seems like it. Possibly due to space restrictions, not distracting neighbors and/or people in the same household, etc. And the "portable" market seems to be demanding better sound. The online markets are providing higher fidelity. Seems ripe for growth. Not mega-growth, but possibly sustained growth. See prot's post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled/315#post_12021543

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #368 of 6,504

True. On the flip side, with those low prices for unused cables dumped on the market might get some people without balanced cables to buy them. They might not be able to afford to sell their old 800 and buy an 800S, but they might be able to afford a cheap cable. Then, the "balanced throughout" bug might bite, leading to, shall we say, further system improvements? 
wink.gif

Actually, I like the hd800 best on my mjolnir2 fully balanced. But in an evil twist of irony, I'll have to sell the mjo2 to afford the 800s. 
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #369 of 6,504
Lower the HD-600 to $250, if possible. Price the HD-650 around $399. Drop the HD-700 until a replacement is ready and then price it under $700. Price the 800 at $999. Price the 800S (and the upcoming closed back?) at under $1500. Create an HD-850 at under 2K. I think they would have a hard time meeting demand at those prices. The audiophile headphone market is large enough now to support this approach, in my opinion.

HD650 almost double the price as HD600, why? Those are pretty much equal quality, just a different flavor. Also that 250 would be too close to HD598 imo.

I don't see why there should be a substantial price hike with the HD800S. It's pretty much the same old thing. The only reasonable and FAIR thing would be to lower price on the original and sell the S for standard HD800 price.

If Senn raise the price, it doesn't make the HP jump up in performance/class.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #370 of 6,504
HD650 almost double the price as HD600, why? Those are pretty much equal quality, just a different flavor. Also that 250 would be too close to HD598 imo.

I don't see why there should be a substantial price hike with the HD800S. It's pretty much the same old thing. The only reasonable and FAIR thing would be to lower price on the original and sell the S for standard HD800 price.

If Senn raise the price, it doesn't make the HP jump up in performance/class.

The 800S will be to the 800 as the he400S is to he400 or he400i i guess.
Though with a smaller price difference.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #373 of 6,504
I remember back in the early 80's saving up my pocket money and buying a pair of HD420's. They weren't cheap, but neither were they ridiculously expensive. What they were however, were great performing for their time, and highly reliable. So much so, that I eventually had to bin them in the early part of this century. Yep, 20 years of great quality.

Because of this, I have always held Sennheiser in high regard, and still buy their products today.I listened to both the HD 700 and the HD 800 at the same time, and as much as I could easily accept that the HD 800's were better than the 700's, they just weren't so good to justify double the money. I truly enjoy my HD 700's and even though I now own a wide range of other high end HP's I still go back to them and marvel at their performance.

If I'm ever to go to a higher model, it won't be at twice the price. I'll happily pay more than the 700's, but something a little more proportionate. So in reality, I'm another sale unlikely to happen. Ironically, I'll most likely be one of the many that get themselves a 2nd hand pair of HD 800's as that market blossoms, thus depriving Sennheiser of the money they probably should have had,

I have no idea how many HD 800's Sennheiser sell each year, but I suspect it is less than we think, and certainly less than the makers want - and all because they choose to price them too many $$$$'s above most people's sane rates - yet are also being attacked by other high end HP competitors. Talk about shrinking markets!

Given the HD 800's notoriety and standing in the headphone hall of fame, just imagine what damage Sennheiser could inflict on all of its competitors if they did sell the 800S for $1000 (equally assuming the re-priced their portfolio accordingly, and probably killed off a few models along the way).

I'm sure Axel just loves seeing Bose, Beats and Bowers everywhere he looks...

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #374 of 6,504
They are similar but HD650 is has slightly more tecnical capabilities and scales further then HD600. That might explain the price difference.

Until a few months ago I had both HD6xx's and found the difference to be a matter of taste. I like the older model's more neutral sound sig better. Though, I didn't have a +1000$ amp or dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back