Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 25, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #376 of 6,504
Price is going to depend on the specs of 800S. Can be higher or lower then 800.

confused_face.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #377 of 6,504
I've always been scared away from the HD800 because of the impressions that hint at it being relentless and not very emotional. Here's to hoping this new model gives it a bit more musicality, like the HD600 to the 650. Either way, if this dude is priced anywhere near $1,500 I'll definitely be looking for a second hand pair to add to my collection if people think it gets a little more listener friendly. If not, well, I'll still have the 650. 
Ignore HiFiMAN's HE-1000, Audeze's LCD-4, and Abyss' AB-1266 please. They may be good cans, but you guys at Senn already threw your inhumanly expensive Orpheus 2 in the ring, there's no need to go more expensive. Sure, all the rich people have all the money, but let them have all the Orpheuses they want and try to appeal to a more budget oriented crowd with this one. Thanks Sennheiser, and keep up the good work.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #379 of 6,504
I've always been scared away from the HD800 because of the impressions that hint at it being relentless and not very emotional. Here's to hoping this new model gives it a bit more musicality

Strange to have so much anxiety without even having demoed the HD800

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #381 of 6,504
HD650 almost double the price as HD600, why? Those are pretty much equal quality, just a different flavor. Also that 250 would be too close to HD598 imo.

I don't see why there should be a substantial price hike with the HD800S. It's pretty much the same old thing. The only reasonable and FAIR thing would be to lower price on the original and sell the S for standard HD800 price.

You make some good points. I did not give a ton of thought to the price points I mentioned. I was trying to describe a simplified HD product lineup that covers from a fairly low price point on up (but not too far up!).

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #382 of 6,504
  The HD800 is warmer than people give it credit for.  This is thanks to a modest mid-bass hump and upper midrange depression.  The HD800 has a warm tilt from 100hz to 5khz.

Strange to have so much anxiety without even having demoed the HD800

I know I should listen to it before I form impressions, but I've read a lot about the HD800 and it's almost unanimous the agreement that it's a pretty aggressive headphone. I'd love to hear em someday, possibly beside its 'S' companion before I decide whether or not I want it. Other than a few nitpicky views, everything else about the HD800 seems positive, and that's very appealing. But I still have to judge whether or not I actually 'need' another headphone after I get the HD650. Sure, I'd LIKE something closed back, and maybe a CIEM someday, but after the HE-500, it's really all down to taste now. I'm hoping that I can afford the luxury of having a slew of impressive cans to enjoy my music with, but anything above $650 is going to have to pass a lot of tests in order for me to justify spending it. That, and I really don't want to spend any more money on a single component than what the Gumby will cost. And now I'm blabbing, so I'll go back to the 800S.

I think this can will be a good deal for Sennheiser regardless of its price because it offers the luxury of personal choice in listening taste. If it takes everything the HD800 is good at like imaging, soundstage, clarity, and tones down its more aggressive nature to make it a more relaxing can, then anyone can have one of the best headphones ever made in one (or both!) of the 800 model leanings. I like the idea.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #383 of 6,504
  The HD800 is warmer than people give it credit for.  This is thanks to a modest mid-bass hump and upper midrange depression.  The HD800 has a warm tilt from 100hz to 5khz.

True. And on the right amp, the bass is truly surprising for most. The problem is finding THE amp for the 800 which can be more than a little picky about amping. Hopefully the 800s will be a little more friendly towards amping. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #386 of 6,504
Matt how is mj2 pairing with the 800?? Which tubes are you using with them??

The mjo2 is an exceptional and the fact that it pairs so well with the hd800 shows that it's not just a tube amp with lot's of muscle, but that it's able to demonstrate refinement as well. Currently I'm using a pair of NOS Philips SQ gold pin. 

I'm working hard to find a way to keep the mjo2. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #387 of 6,504
The mjo2 is an exceptional and the fact that it pairs so well with the hd800 shows that it's not just a tube amp with lot's of muscle, but that it's able to demonstrate refinement as well. Currently I'm using a pair of NOS Philips SQ gold pin. 

I'm working hard to find a way to keep the mjo2. 

Thanks matt! Any input on the stock tubes and lisst??

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #389 of 6,504
this is great news. I hope to god the sound-stage is not effected. If they have managed to keep the soundstage wide and the detail all in there then i will be a very happy customer. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #390 of 6,504

What also surprises me, is the number of times I read a review on here about HP's or IEMs that states they are punching way above their price bracket. I do feel that such a state is now the new normal and that we're actually seeing the beginnings of the point where quality is more commoditised, and accessible to those with slimmer wallets.

I hope so.  After all, that should be the outcome of evolving and maturing technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back