Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,416 of 4,902
The IE900 came in yesterday. Here are my first impressions. What these have to offer is pretty impressive given the tiny size, only one driver, and fairly modest price point, for headfi standards... They are remarkably detailed, sound stage is good, and so is layering / separation. The bass is not as impressive as I expected based on the reviews, but it's good. The fit is fine, with Azla Crystals, although they almost disappear in your ears, it's almost scary lol..

So far, so good. Objectively, there is little to complain about. But music is about taste and preferences... so here are my reservations. Simply put, I think they are a great fit if you like a sharp, energetic sound signature and prefer listening to pop, EDM and the like. They are like a mini Odin.. If you prefer a smooth, warm, organic and full-bodied sound, and like to listen to rock and metal, the IE900 is not a great match IMHO. You guessed it, I'm in the latter camp, so I suspect this will be a catch and release for me. But I'm giving it a few days.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,417 of 4,902
The IE900 came in yesterday. Here are my first impressions. What these have to offer is pretty impressive given the tiny size, only one driver, and fairly modest price point, for headfi standards... They are remarkably detailed, sound stage is good, and so is layering / separation. The bass is not as impressive as I expected based on the reviews, but it's good. The fit is fine, with Azla Crystals, although they almost disappear in your ears, it's almost scary lol..

So far, so good. Objectively, there is little to complain about. But music is about taste and preferences... so here are my reservations. Simply put, I think they are a great fit if you like a sharp, energetic sound signature and prefer listening to pop, EDM and the like. They are like a mini Odin.. If you prefer a smooth, warm, organic and full-bodied sound, and like to listen to rock and metal, the IE900 is not a great match IMHO. You guessed it, I'm in the latter camp, so I suspect this will be a catch and release for me. But I'm giving it a few days.

If you are on team-EQ, try out the github ie900 AutoEQ for maximum copium. Really completes it for me. (Alongside jvc Spiraldots++ tips)

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,418 of 4,902

Thanks for the impressions, and sorry they aren’t working out for you.
I think this confirms I made the right choice going for the Dorado instead. I think you might like it as well.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #2,419 of 4,902

Actually in my setup, it‘s very smooth, warm, organic and full bodied 😊

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #2,420 of 4,902
Fairly obviously the most important thing is how people appreciate the sound of these and how well it suits their particular tastes.

Personally I love the IE-900's with all types of music but in my experience they are hugely tip dependant and unless you find the ones that give you that "goldilocks" fit they can sound disturbingly off.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,421 of 4,902
Fairly obviously the most important thing is how people appreciate the sound of these and how well it suits their particular tastes.

Personally I love the IE-900's with all types of music but in my experience they are hugely tip dependant and unless you find the ones that give you that "goldilocks" fit they can sound disturbingly off.
Correct. That’s why I said “in my setup”.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,422 of 4,902

Same here. @MatW I suggest you do some tip rolling (and burn in too). If you have an R2R dap, try it with that too. The IE 900 are VERY tip sensitive. I also found they settle a bit after burn in.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,423 of 4,902
So a similar tonality as, say, an Erlkonig (setting 2)? 😀
Yes. What I describe may not be recognizable until you listen to metal too... Which I don't recommend if you're not into it, by the way. :) Metal, as a more extreme music genre, magnifies the inherent characteristics of any IEM or headphone. If it's sharp with pop or EDM, it could be ear bleeding with metal... Hence my preference for a warmer tonality, I think..
Same here. @MatW I suggest you do some tip rolling (and burn in too). If you have an R2R dap, try it with that too. The IE 900 are VERY tip sensitive. I also found they settle a bit after burn in.
They are second hand, so likely burned in. Crystals are the only tips that work for my ears, pretty much. Don't get me wrong, they are very good. Just not enough in line with my preferences, it seems like. There's no problem here, if I still feel this way by tomorrow , they will simply move on to someone who will enjoy them more.. :)

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #2,424 of 4,902
So a similar tonality as, say, an Erlkonig (setting 2)? 😀

Yes. What I describe may not be recognizable until you listen to metal too... Which I don't recommend if you're not into it, by the way. :) Metal, as a more extreme music genre, magnifies the inherent characteristics of any IEM or headphone. If it's sharp with pop or EDM, it could be ear bleeding with metal... Hence my preference for a warmer tonality, I think..

They are second hand, so likely burned in. Crystals are the only tips that work for my ears, pretty much. Don't get me wrong, they are very good. Just not enough in line with my preferences, it seems like. There's no problem here, if I still feel this way by tomorrow , they will simply move on to someone who will enjoy them more.. :)
Fair enough, I don'ti listen to any metal and hardly any rock, so can't really comment re SQ for those genres. I think @Scuba Devils wasn't a fan of Crystal with the IE 900 IIRC. Anyway, you know your stuff, so enough of my ramblings. 😁

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #2,425 of 4,902
Fair enough, I don'ti listen to any metal and hardly any rock, so can't really comment re SQ for those genres. I think @Scuba Devils wasn't a fan of Crystal with the IE 900 IIRC. Anyway, you know your stuff, so enough of my ramblings. 😁
Your comments and suggestions are always much appreciated!

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #2,426 of 4,902
Yeah I wasn't a fan of Crystals on IE900, pushed beyond my treble tolerance level. I've said right since I first got them that they sit perfectly at the edge of my treble preference which is actually a sweet spot I would say. Wider bores tip them over that edge.

I don't listen to metal at all and while I do listen to rock, it's mostly on my music systems. Majority of IEM listening is various electronic genres, ambient, classical, jazz, hip hop etc - all of which are fantastic for me on IE900.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,427 of 4,902
Yeah I wasn't a fan of Crystals on IE900, pushed beyond my treble tolerance level. I've said right since I first got them that they sit perfectly at the edge of my treble preference which is actually a sweet spot I would say. Wider bores tip them over that edge.

I don't listen to metal at all and while I do listen to rock, it's mostly on my music systems. Majority of IEM listening is various electronic genres, ambient, classical, jazz, hip hop etc - all of which are fantastic for me on IE900.
Which tips do you use?

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,428 of 4,902
Which tips do you use?

I go between AET07 and Symbio F, the latter for better isolation and former for more detail and air - a great recommendation from @gLer - I tried a medium first but too small, large is excellent.

Both in the case heading off with me for the day!

20210925_114546.jpg

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,429 of 4,902
I go between AET07 and Symbio F, the latter for better isolation and former for more detail and air - a great recommendation from @gLer - I tried a medium first but too small, large is excellent.

Both in the case heading off with me for the day!

20210925_114546.jpg
Alright, thanks, I'll give both of those a try later today. I have the Kbear 07 in L (which is basically the same as AET07, right?) - these don't regularly stay in my ears that well, but it may be different with the IE900. The Symbio F should be fine in terms of fit. I'm curious to see what difference they make.

You have a great day!

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,430 of 4,902
Alright, thanks, I'll give both of those a try later today. I have the Kbear 07 in L (which is basically the same as AET07, right?) - these don't regularly stay in my ears that well, but it may be different with the IE900. The Symbio F should be fine in terms of fit. I'm curious to see what difference they make.

You have a great day!

Yeah I think I read the Kbear is the same, certainly look it from what I've seen.

Good luck with the experimenting, have a great day too 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back