Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,446 of 4,902
Any update on 3rd party cables for IE900?

Quote from IE900 QnA thread:

"Additionally, we're actively working with a number of 3rd party cable manufacturers to develop replacement cables to provide you with a choice. I'm currently using a cable by ONSO, which is awesome (and I hope it launches soon)."

I'm planning to get PWAudio August Fun cable for my IE900 but I don't now if the mmcx connector will fit IE900.
Best to send Peter an email and ask him. Worst case, you can send the cable to @EffectAudio and have them mod it with ConX connectors, which fit perfectly.

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,447 of 4,902
Would be glad to hear your impressions of the IE 900 out of H2.

Off the Hugo 2 there is the same grit peaks from using 3rd party tips. But I could influence it with eartips and fit. It didn't beco,e sibilant and cursed. I agree, it definitely wasn't the best combo for the iem, felt more wrong in the mids to me.

Hugo 2 with my Utopia on the other hand, horribly emphasizes the upper-mids/lower treble metallic peak/glare in its tonality (is EQ'able to be removed). Makes the Utopia even more sibilant than the ie900, even though it presents with great depth and imaging in its playback. For the Hugo 2, I commissioned SolderDude to make me a passive circuit to add to my Utopia cable and tame its upper-mids peak. Now Utopia works much better directly out of the Hugo2, no noticable compromises to me in details.

Also I use the Utopia off my almost tubey-like feeling ibasso Dx300 dap (that is with the amp11, not the amp12 which to me is similar to the Hugo2 in end result presentation and can just use the Hugo2).

Ouch sorry for the tangent monolog, but for those using the Hugo2, they probably need to more so play with ear tips. And if using some kind of PC/roon/nuetron player oversampling, try to disable it (or tweak it).

But yeah, the Hugo2 does not forgive the grit of the ie900 (l'll temporarily define grit: as the step before upper-mids/treble becomes sibilant [and some people oddly prefer]). And the already scooped upper-mids became wierd with the Hugo2's additional representation of the lower mids.

20210926_163217.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #2,448 of 4,902
Off the Hugo 2 there is the same grit peaks from using 3rd party tips. But I could influence it with eartips and fit. It didn't beco,e sibilant and cursed. I agree, it definitely wasn't the best combo for the iem, felt more wrong in the mids to me.

Hugo 2 with my Utopia on the other hand, horribly emphasizes the upper-mids/lower treble metallic peak/glare in its tonality (is EQ'able to be removed). Makes the Utopia even more sibilant than the ie900, even though it presents with great depth and imaging in its playback. For the Hugo 2, I commissioned SolderDude to make me a passive circuit to add to my Utopia cable and tame its upper-mids peak. Now Utopia works much better directly out of the Hugo2, no noticable compromises to me in details.

Also I use the Utopia off my almost tubey-like feeling ibasso Dx300 dap (that is with the amp11, not the amp12 which to me is similar to the Hugo2 in end result presentation and can just use the Hugo2).

Ouch sorry for the tangent monolog, but for those using the Hugo2, they probably need to more so play with ear tips. And if using some kind of PC/roon/nuetron player oversampling, try to disable it (or tweak it).

But yeah, the Hugo2 does not forgive the grit of the ie900 (l'll temporarily define grit: as the step before upper-mids/treble becomes sibilant [and some people oddly prefer]). And the already scooped upper-mids became wierd with the Hugo2's additional representation of the lower mids.

20210926_163217.jpg
Thanks for the feedback, seems you and I hear the combination in a similar way. Personally I'd need to use Hugo2 with darker, fuller IEMs or headphones, like Empyrean, where the bass lift and treble rolloff works well to balance the relative emphasis from H2 in these FR and align better with my preferences. Since the IE 900 is one of my foundation IEMs and I don't use any headphones, H2 is ruled out as a possible source for me, at least for the time being.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,449 of 4,902
Interesting impressions with the H2 guys. It's my primary source. From this I'd be worried it wouldn't be a great match with my incoming IE 900, but I actually have no problem using the H2 with the Utopia or KSE1200. Love all the in-your-face detail.

That said, my HD 820, being a bit darker, is the most right-on pairing of my headphones with the H2. So agree with you guys there. But I have no problem with neutral. All depends my mood :)

I'll throw in my 2 cents too once I finally get the IE 900.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,450 of 4,902
Would be glad to hear your impressions of the IE 900 out of H2.
Maybe a controversial opinion here but I don't think the Hugo 2 sounds good with any IEM, at least none I've tried mine with.

The Hugo 2 -> Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, now that is a pairing I can get behind, it just sounds so magical to me, just like N6ii->R01->ie900

Those two plus my current favourite wireless bud, the Devialet Gemini and I'm done (for now, well this week anyway :) )

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,451 of 4,902
Maybe a controversial opinion here but I don't think the Hugo 2 sounds good with any IEM, at least none I've tried mine with.

The Hugo 2 -> Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, now that is a pairing I can get behind, it just sounds so magical to me, just like N6ii->R01->ie900

Those two plus my current favourite wireless bud, the Devialet Gemini and I'm done (for now, well this week anyway :) )
It's certainly an interesting topic. A lot of people say that Chord's portable, not actually having an amp stage, is appropriate for the low power requirements of IEMs. IMO, all in all, the H2 is just an acquired taste.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,452 of 4,902
Interesting impressions with the H2 guys. It's my primary source. From this I'd be worried it wouldn't be a great match with my incoming IE 900, but I actually have no problem using the H2 with the Utopia or KSE1200. Love all the in-your-face detail.

That said, my HD 820, being a bit darker, is the most right-on pairing of my headphones with the H2. So agree with you guys there. But I have no problem with neutral. All depends my mood :)

I'll throw in my 2 cents too once I finally get the IE 900.
Look forward to your impressions, and I agree, it's very much an acquired taste.

I tend to agree with you, having spent the afternoon listening to it with my IEMs (which sound great off other desktop sources, so it's not a general rule of thumb). I do think the extreme detail and bright tonality of the H2 just doesn't gel with the IE 900, or generally with IEMs that are inherently already more resolving than most headphones. Probably just too much of a good thing (unless you don't get fatigued by extreme detail and unflinching brightness like I do).

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #2,455 of 4,902
@gLer did you have your CONX CLEOPATRA back home? Is the improvement noticeable?
Yes I do have a ConX on my custom Cardas Clear cable (based on PW Audio's 1950s) and it takes the IE900 to another level of performance altogether. Bigger stage and darker background are the main benefits, with superb resolution across the board. I'll write up my imoressios soon and link them to the thread. Will also review the a Cleo Vs stock and Cardas and report back here.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,456 of 4,902
Any driver flexing on the IE900? Does anyone have to sorta fiddle around to get a good seal or is it pretty much plug-and-play?

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #2,457 of 4,902
No driver flex at all. My fit is fiddly but I blame my ears as most IEMs are so :p The IE900 is definitely one of the least problematic.

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,458 of 4,902
No driver flex at all. My fit is fiddly but I blame my ears as most IEMs are so :p The IE900 is definitely one of the least problematic.
+1

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,459 of 4,902
Any driver flexing on the IE900? Does anyone have to sorta fiddle around to get a good seal or is it pretty much plug-and-play?

No driver flex, but fit is just as sensitive for a set that has one.

Really shifts depending on tips and insertion depth.

Using bigger than needed tips help to give a consistent fit. (as it will plug at the same spot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back