Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #331 of 4,854
This is always a good idea. Dunno if Senn does it.
I helped organize a few headphone tours; it’s a great way to get many different perspectives, but things have to be carefully managed so they don’t get lost. I didn’t organize it, but the most recent review tour of a Sennheiser product was the HD 8xx that was making the rounds with reviewers. Right now, the first priority is making enough IE 900 to fill preorders!

May 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #332 of 4,854
Also the S version of something isn’t necessarily better. While the IE800S fits in my ear better than the original, there was something very unique and special about the IE800 and its tuning. If an IE900S eventually comes out, there is no guarantee it will be any better. It might just be different.

May 19, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #333 of 4,854
The interesting part about the comparison is that the IE 900 has a similar balance as the V-shaped IE 300... it’s just that every part of it is improved and refined.

I just watched Joshua Valour’s review (I know, I’m quite late in more ways than one), and he basically says this as well. Of course, the frequency plots don’t match up perfectly, but overall they’re close. What threw me for a loop when I listened was that the IE 900 did it’s bass more tightly and with less bloom, so I felt like the IE 300 was warmer, but really the IE 900 also has plenty of bass – it’s just much cleaner. One other thing I appreciated about Joshua’s review was that he prefaced different aspects by trying to describe the sound, giving people a chance to decide if it matched with their tastes, before stating if it matched with his own taste, and potential ways others might dislike it. Sure, the IE 900 reflects all the care that went into its design, and his review was overall positive, but I think he did a good job mentioning where people may disagree with him.

I really think he is the best reviewer of audio gear on YouTube at the moment. He's detailed and specific enough (in language and in areas examined) for those of us who are relatively well versed in audio gear, but also incorporates less technical, more emotive/experiential language and points. He provides plenty of comparisons and provides and authentic and thorough overview of whatever is on his desk each time. That coupled with affability, a complete lack of beard-stroking wankery (I do have someone specific in mind, I won't name them) and gorgeous footage makes his videos as enjoyable as they are informative.

And I'll repeat, it was a real joy to see him so excited over the IE900 - while he often enthuses about gear, it's rare to see him positively fired up about something. I take it as a very good sign for these IEMs.

May 19, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #334 of 4,854
Also the S version of something isn’t necessarily better. While the IE800S fits in my ear better than the original, there was something very unique and special about the IE800 and its tuning. If an IE900S eventually comes out, there is no guarantee it will be any better. It might just be different.
I agree about the OG IE 800 being "special" sounding. The treble was so revealing, but unfortunately too fatiguing for me. I hated that my ears couldn't handle it (long sessions would leave my ears ringing). On the other end, the bass had so much body. When taming the extremes with the S version, the earphone lost some of its magic definitely. But I overall preferred the S. It brought more balance to everything. Plenty detail (just not super detail) and a very pleasant, non-fatiguing listen.

May 19, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #335 of 4,854
Sennheiser 660s, 560s, ie 800s, HD 800s. Is it safe to assume the ie900 will get an S upgrade? Knowing their history of doing that makes me hesitant to pre order.
Yeah , keep going , then a 1000 , then 1000 S

May 20, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #338 of 4,854
May 20, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #339 of 4,854
Bet it will sound better with a good amp compared to a phone.
I can't imagine the dedicated dac/amp in LG's flagships not being enough power for a 16 ohm earphone. But then folks on head-fi can sometimes have quite the imagination :)

May 20, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #340 of 4,854
I can't imagine the dedicated dac/amp in LG's flagships not being enough power for a 16 ohm earphone. But then folks on head-fi can sometimes have quite the imagination :)
In no way is it ideal. Yes good enough but there are a lot better. If one aims at enough then just buy a $30 iem.

May 20, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #341 of 4,854
In no way is it ideal. Yes good enough but there are a lot better. If one aims at enough then just buy a $30 iem.
I agree the Quad DAC in the LG phones is more than powerful enough, but it's not about power. It's about audio circuitry, optimisation, noise. The best DAPs and even dedicated audio dongles will always have an advantage over phones for this reason, at least in terms of absolute sound quality. Then again, if you're buying a $1300 IEM, it's a no brainer to pair it with a decent dedicated source. Any one of the many excellent dongles (Lotoo S1, LP W2, EarMen Sparrow, even the FiiO stuff) will be an improvement on the phone alone. Unless all you listen to is lossy MP3 or streaming services, in which case you probably won't notice much difference.

May 20, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #344 of 4,854
Good point there but I wouldn't put sennheiser in the same basket as all other brands!

I would ultimately say there is 3 huge massive corporation that we have today that does very nice flagship lvl sound tuning. Sennheiser, sony, shure. There might be some other maybe I dont know them all.

Sennheiser and sony has mass market covered and their buy power leverage is massive! Without mentioning the huge R&D available at their disposal with more then 50years experience.

This bring us to say that ie900 may seem lower cost tier then very expensive totl iem but it is in fact not, off course rest to confirm by hearing it and compare.

I speak of my experience with hd800s that headphone cost half the cost of an expensive totl headphones but yet it delivers sound that not many even to date can achieve....
Yea its not a perfect headphone but its ultra natural and extremely realistic as sound! 2 times the fourté!

Sony Ierz1r is also just 500$ more then ie900 yet many have agreed that its a very good flagship iem. So will be the ie900.

I remember when I bought my SE846 it was 1k back then and I am happy to see that the price range have stayed pretty even and haven't sky rocketed. This is the normal pricing of the market!

Things like tralili and the new iem made of cactus tree are ridiculous price tags, why 6k ? Kidding me 🤣 buying it make manufacturers inflate price tags and killing the market normal price tags.

Oh well everyone is free to buy what they like I am just sharing my point of view 😛🙃

I also think tia Fourté is over priced too.

🐅🐾
Mm...old fogeys still perform really well. Not just the HD800S but the forgotten Beyerdynamic T1.2. With the right amp, it still impressses to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back