Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 4
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 127
When you say the MTW4 doesn’t like Auracast, what happens? Did you hook up to a source that transmits in BT Auracast?
I don't get any connection. From what I have investigated(look into the firm from the screenshot), Qualcomm is holding back mass LC3 or Auracast adoption. They JUST posted the first LC3 receiver to Amazon last month(Moer, barely functioned with this 3rd party dongle). If you look at the materials for various Snapdragon products, they promise FUTURE LE audio updates for later in the year. They told me their receiver chipset would be ready for samples in a "few months" when I emailed them at the beginning of the year. This is why Sennheiser has made the same types of claims about future updates. And yes this dongle does Auracast. It's just also a confusing interface.

edit: Exactly what I feared. You need to mess around with the "modes" on the earbud to get it to work. Currently at LC3 16khz. But only on STANDARD mode. you need the app to switch the codec and then restart the earbuds with the case.

edit 2: I have no idea what's going on. disregard that last note. I can't get it to work more than once. All I know is I'm changing all the options until something works, doing factory resets. It works once, then it won't reconnect and stream.

edit 3: Ok so there's no need for standard mode to get LC3. It's more about switching into classic audio modes from the dongle, then reverting back to LE. Got locked out of my iOS app briefly. This is just really buggy. Tried to get Windows LE audio but I'm not sure it works/exists or the codec requested is unlocked on this yet. I'm not sure if Intel even has made drivers for this. I have the latest ones. The FMA120 source code may have some commands for me to manually try to trigger different modes. I can only get LC3 16khz right now.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 127
Initial impressions: Because I lost my MTW3 months ago, I've been using the AirPods Pro 2 as my daily portable earphones. I remember the MTW3 sounding more balanced than the APP2. That's also true with the MTW4 out of the box, but with some muffling of the bass and a leaner profile overall. The basic EQ option is still in the Sennheiser Smart Control app, but I like using the new Sound Personalization option to edit the overall mix. After running it and fine-tuning the adjustments, the overall sound is fuller with better-defined bass. Like the MTW3, the MTW4 sounds better with the ANC turned off. My original impression that the MTW3 sounds more "audiophile-tuned" than the APP2 also applies to the MTW4. There is a notable improvement when switching between my iPhone with AAC and my Sony NW-ZX507 with aptX-HD. The sound is more layered with additional detail and impact.

EDIT: Sennheiser improved the noise cancellation a bit with the MTW4, but it's still nowhere near Sony/Apple/Bose effectiveness. Adding more passive isolation goes a long way. Make sure to get a set of these to go with your MTW4: https://www.complyfoam.com/products/truegrip-tw-400-c-ear-tips.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 127
Anybody else have the other person on the line on a phone call complain that you sound bad, even when you're in a quiet place?

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 127
In this moment, I am euphoric. I sent an email to Flairmesh and they immediately went and updated the device firmware to support AptX Lossless. I'm the only person to review on Amazon, so I'm probably the first person to ask for this. I had it on 96khz for Aptx adaptive and it cut out. I read somewhere that the bluetooth codec doesn't downsample anything, you have to use the correct mode. The instability and cutting out I had on 96khz seems to work fine now.
1709543931453.png

1709543806280.png

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #23 of 127
El Jeffe ranked them quite high...:)

Can't wait for mine to arrive later this week, however I really wish Senny did something about the case...It's large with that awful cloth (probably polyester) finish. :frowning2:

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 127
El Jeffe ranked them quite high...:)

Can't wait for mine to arrive later this week, however I really wish Senny did something about the case...It's large with that awful cloth (probably polyester) finish. :frowning2:

I really enjoy the sound coming out of these earbuds and for my ears and the fit is better than AirPods Pro, so they are a really comfortable option.

Case is not the best, I agree, but feels sturdy. It is not as compact as AirPods case. I kind of enjoy the textile mesh compared to the bare plastic.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 127
A few people on Reddit have complained about low volume output, do you guys at head-fi also find that to be the case?
I like to listen at higher volumes, I find the MTW4 can do that. Not much headroom but they get there and so I'm good.

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 127
A few people on Reddit have complained about low volume output, do you guys at head-fi also find that to be the case?
The Sound Personalization option in the Smart Control app plays samples of music and asks you to set the volume where it is most comfortable for you. Based on your responses, it’s possible to make each volume step proportionately louder or softer. I think it’s the equivalent to using higher or lower gain?

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #27 of 127
The Sound Personalization option in the Smart Control app plays samples of music and asks you to set the volume where it is most comfortable for you. Based on your responses, it’s possible to make each volume step proportionately louder or softer. I think it’s the equivalent to using higher or lower gain?
I think part of it is gain related but the big part is changing the sound. You can get pretty granular with it when you fine tweak it and drag the circle throughout the field of dots. I hear all ranges affected - bass, mids, highs.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 127
I think part of it is gain related but the big part is changing the sound. You can get pretty granular with it when you fine tweak it and drag the circle throughout the field of dots. I hear all ranges affected - bass, mids, highs.
I added +2 gain and like it better. I've tried different EQ settings because to me, out of the box, it sounded stuffy with a narrow sound~stage and muted. A/B with Technics AZ-80, if I can't get the MTW4 better I'll go with the 80s. Any suggestions are welcomed.
I want to love the Ms above all because I'm brand loyal and use another Sonova product 7 days a week. I'm just built that way, but hear, lol, the best TWS sound I like, wins.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 127
I added +2 gain and like it better. I've tried different EQ settings because to me, out of the box, it sounded stuffy with a narrow sound~stage and muted. A/B with Technics AZ-80, if I can't get the MTW4 better I'll go with the 80s. Any suggestions are welcomed.
I want to love the Ms above all because I'm brand loyal and use another Sonova product 7 days a week. I'm just built that way, but hear, lol, the best TWS sound I like, wins.

Yeah definitely do the sound personalization fine-tuning. Go through the whole process and then use the fine tuning at the end of it. Then you'll know but it does offer quite a lot of very varied options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back