Sennheiser Orpheus has blown my mind!
Jan 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 80
I would like to try the Orpheus :p

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #17 of 80
I was also at CES last week and seen the Orpehus in the glass case, I explained to my cousin that those were the ultimate Senn headphones and I would love it if I could give them a listen. I then turned my head and there a second example in the glass cubical they had set up. I immediately went into the room waited my turn(Which wasn't very long as most people in there had no idea what they were listening to) I was a treat, a little depressing as I know I would never be able to afford such a setup for my place but excellent all the same. After speaking with the rep he did tell me that the set in the glass case was just that a set that sits in a case in Germany as a showcase. The set that was being auditioned is another set they keep in Germany in a Sound room for showing Senn's greatest achievement in headphone production.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 80
Quote:
In other words, we just accept what we hear, it sounds 'right', and we don't think about it but enjoy.  The fun comes in snapping out of it and trying to nit-pick what it is they are doing. At the end of the day, most of it comes down to tone, speed (transient response), depth of field, and overal textural dynamics and detail (microdynamics).  The HE90 does this well, but all in a grand attempt to serve it's philosophical ideal: ultimate euphony.

That's a brilliant way of stating it! To me, it's like bringing out and enhancing the taste of already incredible and fresh food with a pinch of salt. Sure, that $200, dry-aged, perfectly marbled, wagyu porterhouse is out of this world just seared on each side, but add a bit of salt and pepper on top and your taste buds will experience pure ecstasy. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 80
The thread inspired me to look around the internet and see how much this enigma would approximately cost today. $25k-$35k on the only two sets on ebay. Holy hell Batman!

Now, whenever I hear about the orpheus, I think about the Ferrari 250 GTO. Just as fabled, as legendary. And I wanna give them both a go at least once :D .

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 80
Quote:
Those listings are wiktor, he's famous for flipping these and trying to artificially inflate the price.  The last couple sets have gone for 16K here, with individual headphones at 8-9K.  Maybe 20K for a pristine set with the best version of the HEV90 would be worth 20-21.

Are there differences in the HEV90 amp across the first production run, 1 to 300?  I know later HE90 headphones were made, but I thought no more HEV90 amps.  So ... what is the "best version" of the HEV90 ... that's a new concept to me ... sorry if I am uninformed ...

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 80
Quote:
The thread inspired me to look around the internet and see how much this enigma would approximately cost today. $25k-$35k on the only two sets on ebay. Holy hell Batman!

Now, whenever I hear about the orpheus, I think about the Ferrari 250 GTO. Just as fabled, as legendary. And I wanna give them both a go at least once
biggrin.gif

I can help you listen to the Orpheus.  When Kerry finishes his BHSE (with some power supply elements borrowed from the T2) and fitted with a lower bias voltage HE90 jack, we are going to do the "NJ mini-meet" bake-off again later this year.  With El_Doug gone to Chicago we have to find a new 009 owner.  Anyone?

Line-up:

Genuine Orpheus, NOS, #214, fully maintained by Senn
Kerry BHSE with HE90 from the above set, to compare to 007 Mk 1, 007 Mk 2 Spritzer Mod, and 009 if we can.  Rare late-breakup genuine Mullard Blackburn XF2 EL34's
Fully balanced 6-channel Beta 22 build by YBM, driving HD800s balanced by Moon Audio, Cardas cable.

Source:
Wadia 781i spinning SACDs -- balanced out feeding BHSE (or Beta 22), S.E. out feeding Orpheus.
24x96 and 24x192 downloaded FLAC, Sonic Weld Diverter USB-to-SPDIF into Benchmark DAC, once again balanced feeding BHSE (or Beta 22), S.E. feeding Orpheus.
(all cables by BlueJeans, various Power Conditioners and magic stuff, like isolation feet and some shiny objects, by various firms that spend a lot on advertising, etc.)

I can't help you with the Ferrari, but if you PM me with your real email varyV we will tell you when this is happening!

We also eat well at these events.  Always a plus.  Never miss a meal, that's my motto (obviously).

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #24 of 80
Quote:
My understanding is this was during the main run of 300 that the changes were made (without notice, warning, or offers to change earlier units.)  It is one explanation given for the varying opinions on the HEV90/HE90 rig - that the gear is actually varied.  

Fascinating!  Learn something new every day!

So later is better, that's the theory?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #26 of 80
I can help you listen to the Orpheus. When Kerry finishes his BHSE (with some power supply elements borrowed from the T2) and fitted with a lower bias voltage HE90 jack, we are going to do the "NJ mini-meet" bake-off again later this year. With El_Doug gone to Chicago we have to find a new 009 owner. Anyone?

Line-up:

Genuine Orpheus, NOS, #214, fully maintained by Senn
Kerry BHSE with HE90 from the above set, to compare to 007 Mk 1, 007 Mk 2 Spritzer Mod, and 009 if we can. Rare late-breakup genuine Mullard Blackburn XF2 EL34's
Fully balanced 6-channel Beta 22 build by YBM, driving HD800s balanced by Moon Audio, Cardas cable.

Source:
Wadia 781i spinning SACDs -- balanced out feeding BHSE (or Beta 22), S.E. out feeding Orpheus.
24x96 and 24x192 downloaded FLAC, Sonic Weld Diverter USB-to-SPDIF into Benchmark DAC, once again balanced feeding BHSE (or Beta 22), S.E. feeding Orpheus.
(all cables by BlueJeans, various Power Conditioners and magic stuff, like isolation feet and some shiny objects, by various firms that spend a lot on advertising, etc.)

I can't help you with the Ferrari, but if you PM me with your real email varyV we will tell you when this is happening!

We also eat well at these events. Always a plus. Never miss a meal, that's my motto (obviously).

That would be absolutely lovely. It'd be a pleasure to meet fellow head-fiers. I'll try to bring any worthy equipment, considering I'm an IEM guy who recently converted to full size after an HE-400 purchase. Now it's hard to listen to even my RE-272s at home (and I've owned UM Miracles in the past). Ah, c'est la vie :D.

As for the food, I always say meat and mead, and top it off with a jar of whiskey :D .

Edit: damn browser, retyping and paraphrasing my lost post.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 80
Quote:
 I always say meat and mead, and top it off with a jar of whiskey
biggrin.gif

You are so invited.  You will fit right in.  Burgers Brew & Booze is how we roll.  Gentleman Jack to be exact, which some people don't like but you know what, these are the same people who don't like the Orpheus.  They consider both too smooth.

We do proper glasses, no jars here, with one perfect ice cube made from Icelandic (in honor of Spritzer) bottled water.  Pour first, set the glass down, turn on the Orpheus.  When the indicator light tells you the tubes are warmed up, the drink will be perfect (not too cold).  Put the Norah Jones SACD in the Wadia, dim the room lights, sip and listen.  The meaning of life emerges.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #29 of 80
Quote:

You are so invited.  You will fit right in.  Burgers Brew & Booze is how we roll.  Gentleman Jack to be exact, which some people don't like but you know what, these are the same people who don't like the Orpheus.  They consider both too smooth.

We do proper glasses, no jars here, with one perfect ice cube made from Icelandic (in honor of Spritzer) bottled water.  Pour first, set the glass down, turn on the Orpheus.  When the indicator light tells you the tubes are warmed up, the drink will be perfect (not too cold).  Put the Norah Jones SACD in the Wadia, dim the room lights, sip and listen.  The meaning of life emerges.

anything like that happening on the west coast by any chance? 

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 80
I usually bring an Orpheus rig to the meets I go to now.  I always go to the LA area meets and have gone to a few NorCal/San Diego meets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back