Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #1,126 of 1,173
anyone have experience replacing the elastic material the headband (labelled "strip" in the attached picture)? I got used unit that does not have it.

wondering if it is just one long strip running from right to left through the leather of the headband? I checked the manual but it was not clear.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• orca-image--44375889.jpeg
    orca-image--44375889.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,127 of 1,173
anyone have experience replacing the elastic material the headband (labelled "strip" in the attached picture)? I got used unit that does not have it.

wondering if it is just one long strip running from right to left through the leather of the headband? I checked the manual but it was not clear.

Thanks in advance
How does the band work? It is an elastic cloth piece. There should be one on each side but I never paid attention to the length.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,129 of 1,173
Dec 8, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,130 of 1,173

Much depends on the foam used. Wrong foam and you will never have the sound or correct frequency response of the true Sony R-10.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,131 of 1,173
Future (hopefully) owner here. I reviewed my friend's R10 that was refurbished by Vesper Audio here: https://den-fi.com/sony-mdr-r10/
The foam from Vesper Audio is very porous and in my view not fit for the R10. I’d urge folks to perhaps get the pads, but not the foam. As such the frequency response would be as you described. Lack of bass and Treble emphasis. Some of the qualities of R10 are there, but you should be getting much better technicalities with the right foam. I can recommend the foams from ES Lab HK. You’d get an all round better performance there.

I am at the moment testing out how various foams change the sound based on diameter, thinness and density. Technicalities on my R10 after the foam replacement is on par with my DCA Stealth which is no small feat.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,132 of 1,173
Was going to say the same thing about the foams.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,133 of 1,173
The foam from Vesper Audio is very porous and in my view not fit for the R10. I’d urge folks to perhaps get the pads, but not the foam. As such the frequency response would be as you described. Lack of bass and Treble emphasis. Some of the qualities of R10 are there, but you should be getting much better technicalities with the right foam. I can recommend the foams from ES Lab HK. You’d get an all round better performance there.

I am at the moment testing out how various foams change the sound based on diameter, thinness and density. Technicalities on my R10 after the foam replacement is on par with my DCA Stealth which is no small feat.

Thank you! I’ll notify the owner. I would expect a more porous foam to be less acoustically impedant and have a smaller effect on technicalities and treble at the cost of some bass extension. I did forget to mention in the review that the pads are stock and were in good condition somehow.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,134 of 1,173
Thanks for your review. It definitely has to do with the foam. I always feel that the R10 micro details retrieval are just as good as my Sennheiser HD800 and definitely way more than the HD580. The R10's tonal balanced and presentation though are second to none, and so very natural IMO. Smooth, liquid, effortless and ever so engaging in musical details delivery.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,135 of 1,173
Future (hopefully) owner here. I reviewed my friend's R10 that was refurbished by Vesper Audio here: https://den-fi.com/sony-mdr-r10/
I believe that any headphone can’t ever be as natural as reality, because the headphones-each headphone- creates its own room of sound, which then may or not can enjoy the listener,but instead the reality, that the environment in which you sound varies from context to context, the headphone obviously has its own static environment,while the speakers can be placed in more or less large rooms and determine a different sound room, more open and therefore more "alive". Where I, like many other headphones (like you), determine the naturalness of the headphones, is in its timbre .and the R10 makes the music very MUSICAL.
If I have to be honest,as a Sony’s Fanboy (golden era) I am rather sorry with the review and the opinion you had about the R10. As for me, having had the opportunity to compare the R10 to other headphones of the caliber of susvara, I noticed difference in detail, sure, but not to the point of creating a chasm. But this is an almost useless detail,as all us know that the electrostatic headphone has no rival in detail.
While where I disagree and the general review you described,(but not because I want to go against or defend necessarily my favorite headphones, it is a fact), my impressions are totally different... And like all other users I am sure that this difference could be filled by replacing properly The sponges with es labs foam.
The R10 have some of the best articulated bass I’ve ever heard,not the strongest but best articulated.
The mids as you say are the star of the show,this frequencies are seriously near the reality.
And for highs (and I suffer harsh headphone) the R10 show one of the best airy highs I’ve ever heard in a DYNAMIC headphone and in any headphones (Stax IMHO is much superior in this category),sweet and extended,and I’ve never felt any harshness or any grain of stress in my ears.
Give it another chance with the right foam :) I feel the difference when I heard first times my R10 from the second time (the inner foams were destroyed after the second listening session, I guess that before being sold the headphones had not been heard after a while)
And was UNLISTENABLE.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,136 of 1,173

Thanks in advance
I asked Benson at ES Audio and it is all one piece and not easy to replace. It would be interesting to look at.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #1,137 of 1,173
The R10's tonal balanced and presentation though are second to none, and so very natural IMO. Smooth, liquid, effortless and ever so engaging in musical details delivery.

+1, exactly how I would describe the R10. (I have only heard two pairs, both in really good shape btw)

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,138 of 1,173
I can not fault the R-!0s. I like the iBasso SR3 in comparison for a little more raw sound. Often live sound has a more raw edge to it and the SR3 capture that better. I use with Twau Whiplash cable (no longer available) on the SR3 and most of my headphone but stock cable on the R-10.

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #1,139 of 1,173

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,140 of 1,173
Hi!I would like to ask..
Probably I need to repaint my mdr r10,the silver headband..someone of you maybe know exactly which color is?
And for a set genuine earpads..would you suggest vesper audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back