Sony MDR-V700dj has been killed. Anyone else sad?
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
My very first pair of dj headphones was the V700dj more than 10 years ago.  In fact I still have them and it's working like a champ. Mine was Made in Japan, but more recent ones are Made in Thailand like all Sony headphones.  I found that the headphones are durable and can be played loud with tight bass.  Great for signal side monitoring due to the swivel cups.  It looks like Sony has killed the product.  I don't see any other headphones Sony has that will replace it.  Do you think Pioneer's HDJ-2000 took all the buyers from Sony and there is just not a market for it these days?

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 16
I think many of Sonys headphones are of low stock because of the flood in thailand...not because they are discontinued

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 16
The V6 shows shipping in March and do are the XB series, but this one is "no longer available" which is the same language as all the discontinued product. Maybe the fanboy in me thinks this is sad. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 16

That doesn't entirely mean it's gone forever - it may just be done in the US market. For example the MDR-F1 is listed as discontinued in the US, but is still available in Japan. I have noticed, however, that Sony seems to be cleaning house with its headphone lines recently. It may be due to flooding, it may be due to new products coming out; I don't know. My personal guess would be that they're probably working on new products - most of their "good" parts have been around for a decade or longer, and haven't faced any dramatic competition until a few years ago. Headphones are "in" now, so it wouldn't be surprising if they're going back to the drawing board (for example, they've announced a whole line of BA IEMs). 
Quote:
The V6 shows shipping in March and do are the XB series, but this one is "no longer available" which is the same language as all the discontinued product. Maybe the fanboy in me thinks this is sad. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Are the Pioneer HDJ-2000s any good for their price? 

I have one that I plan on opening soon.  Stay tuned for my unboxing.  I'll report back on how it compares to the Sony.  Features wise, the Pioneer is a winner.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 16
Goodbye, lol!

7509HD seems to be discontinued for sure.  =\

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 16
As a long-time V700DJ user for DJing, I am not sad to see it go. It's like the really bad girlfried that's not even cute that you date anyway because hey, what else do you have going on.

I loved mine because I could cue with them. Not the most compelling reason. I like the power handling. I hated the build quality. I had to buy it twice because my brother broke my first pair and I had too much cash (at the time) to spend any energy getting mad about it.

But yeah, way too many fish in the DJ headphone sea. I understand it wasn't always like that.

Mine actually stowed away in the box of gear I took to the meet. I used them to demonstrate to someone how to remove the ear pads from a headphone. AmTrax, I thought you'd be there? (That's not syntactically even a question?)

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
As a long-time V700DJ user for DJing, I am not sad to see it go. It's like the really bad girlfried that's not even cute that you date anyway because hey, what else do you have going on.
I loved mine because I could cue with them. Not the most compelling reason. I like the power handling. I hated the build quality. I had to buy it twice because my brother broke my first pair and I had too much cash (at the time) to spend any energy getting mad about it.
But yeah, way too many fish in the DJ headphone sea. I understand it wasn't always like that.
Mine actually stowed away in the box of gear I took to the meet. I used them to demonstrate to someone how to remove the ear pads from a headphone. AmTrax, I thought you'd be there? (That's not syntactically even a question?)

I missed the meet because the wife had plans.  Married life....

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Sony MDR-V700DJ has been replaced. The new model now is Sony MDR-V55DJ and they come in different colors of selections white, black or red and you can get em' for a $100.00. Price may varies depends which store who carries em'.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Sony MDR-V700DJ has been replaced. The new model now is Sony MDR-V55DJ and they come in different colors of selections white, black or red and you can get em' for a $100.00. Price may varies depends which store who carries em'.

It doesn't look as good to me.  I will reserve my judgement till I get my hands on it.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 16
V55DJ?

Is that the same hinge system?  Pourquoi Sony?  Why keep the Achilles' heel of the old model?

Sony's feelings on the matter:

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Love my v700djs. They sound terrible, seem pretty fragile, and aren't comfy at all, but I love them anyway lol

Kind of my feelings on them. Sorry to bring this one up from the dead, but I just found out that this model was discontinued and was in the process of writing a postmortem of them for my blog when I thought to check Head-Fi to see if anybody had said anything.

Basically, back in my younger (and therefore stupider) days, these were my first "real" headphones. I didn't like them at first (I should have listened to that intuition), but since I was forced to work with them (my parents were tired of shuttling me back and forth to Best Buy to return one after another pair of headphones which sounded like rubbish), I eventually got used to them, and even replaced them when the left swivel joint broke beyond repair.

I'll say this much. Everything you've heard about their fragility is true. I'd love to post a picture of my second pair--they're held together with twist ties, Gorilla Glue, and magic--but it's dark out and my crappy camera doesn't like taking indoor shots.

Soundwise, it's difficult to even evaluate them on account of their condition, so I'll do my best to recall what I experienced when they were new. Definitely on the dark side, though bass monsters they weren't. It was more like somebody lopped off the treble and hyped up the upper mids a bit. They had a midbass hump, but it actually wasn't excessive. In retrospect, this is exactly how I would design a DJ headphone. The rolled off treble would protect against fatigue at high amplitude, and the midrange and bass bumps would facilitate beat matching to drums and bass, respectively.

This whole ethos gradually changes as the fit inevitably loosens and the pads flake and lose their ability to insulate, until there's almost no bass. That's what they sound like right now. Basically, like every description of Bose speakers I've ever read: no highs, no lows, and grainy and indistinct. Switching back to my DT880 after listening to my old V700 for a few seconds reminds me of the revelation I had the first time I tried a couple truly decent pairs of headphones (the SRH440, and then the M50). And, unlike the state my second V700 was in when it was a little over two years old, my DT880 looks almost brand new. I like to joke that I could throw my Beyers at the wall and they'd break...the wall. I wouldn't want to see what happened to the V700 if I tried that. I get a little squeamish seeing carnage like that.

So rest in peace, MDR-V700DJ. Or, in pieces, as is so often the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back