Sony MDR-V700DJ revisited
Jul 26, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The problem with the V700's pads is actually the opposite: They're too soft.

Yeah, and those overly soft (which I shall call "mushy") pads have practically no actual cushioning. So your ears sink right through the mushy pads - and onto the hard plastic of the driver mounts.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Yeah, and those overly soft (which I shall call "mushy") pads have practically no actual cushioning. So your ears sink right through the mushy pads - and onto the hard plastic of the driver mounts.
very_evil_smiley.gif

What makes me laugh at this is not that this isn't correct, but that it's an (apparently) happy Grato owner saying it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 31
No... far from finished yet. I want to keep it reasonably standard for now to post my opinion of the "V700 sound" with a variety of sources.

By then I should have the used Grato so I can get the cutters, sanders and orbital saws out...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 31
bangraman-
let me know if you'll be getting rid of those discs, I actually need them for something that I'm thinking of working on... pm me.

thanks!
appar111

Jul 28, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

What makes me laugh at this is not that this isn't correct, but that it's an (apparently) happy Grato owner saying it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Right now I'm not so much of a Grato fan (though I still like Grados in general
evil_smiley.gif
), but my favourite 'phones right now are the Senn HD 600's with the Cardas upgrade cable. As much as I like the stock-cabled HD 600's, the Cardas just improves upon that stock sound.

Back on topic:

I don't care much for the MDR-V700DJ, even though I have never tried modding it or removing the sound-muffling pads.
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 9:15 AM Post #25 of 31
hero zero, for outright fidelity the V700 is killed by those phones. But I kind of like the sound and the overall V700ness of the V700. This is an ongoing project (especially as far as mods go) and I can't give any definite opinions yet. But I quite like it at this stage... so much so to the point that I might hold off destructive mods to these. I might use the spare RP-FT30 shell for the Grato mod. It's better than having 'sound 1' on, and on the iPod where I can't trigger the EQ for fear of distortion with 'hot' tracks it's nice to have some kick to the bass without fatigue. I'd use it in the same situation as I'd think about a DT250-80, only I think I prefer the V700 for reasons of portability, ease of drivingability (er... yeah), superior isolation and lots of bass. I consider the quality of sound fine for portable use...for now*
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]*I reserve the right to change my opinions at any time and jump on the "They're V-crap" bandwagon[/size]

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

*I reserve the right to change my opinions at any time and jump on the "They're V-crap" bandwagon

Need you say more?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 31
Bangraman-
How is the V700 sounding now? Does taking the dampening discs off really change the sound all that much? I'm guessing for use with a pcdp, it might make a significant difference, but i wanted to ask the man who has actually heard the differences...

appar111

Jul 30, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #29 of 31
Outright detail, the SR80 and the HD25 beats the V700. Like the DT250-80, the V700 loses some top end information. This does mean that the V700 is less fatiguing to listen to for longer periods and generally sounds smoother. The thing that prevents longer period listens on the V700 are the earpads but I've already changed mine. The V700 minus the pads and the felt still exhibits some flab, but not a debilitating amount over the HD25 and the SR80.

The ease of driverbility (sic... very sic) is really what sets apart the V700 from anything else. It's especially relevant in Europe when you consider the mandate that anything which ships with headphones is not allowed to exceed 100db with the shipped headphones. The V700 is one of the few full size phones which can be expected to be as or more efficient than the supplied headphones.

Out of the (Europe limited) iPod, the V700 is very enjoyable and gives fidelity more than sufficient for portable use. Out of the (limited, but to a more severe level) D-EJ2000, it is one of the few full size phones which gives me anything approaching decent dynamics.

As portable headphones of choice for me, nothing has yet beaten the Sennheiser PXC250 and the V700 does not go anywhere towards dethroning the Senn. But it is an interesting flavour to return to every now and again. I will be using the RP-FT30 body for the Grato transplant and not the V700.

Next will be a direct head-to-head between the SR80, HD25 and the V700 on my 'high-end' set-up, that is the SCD-XA777ES and modded WAD amp. I'll also detail the comparisons later in a separate post.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #30 of 31
I removed the foam disks over the drivers in my cans, but I left the canvas "Bass" disks... The high frequencies are incredibly more pronounced with a better range and less of a muffle sound (which I discussed in a little review I did in another necrotic thread). There is significant sibilance, which I think was the reason for the pads, but I'm enjoying the flatter response! They're more comfortable too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back