Sony MDR-V700DJ revisited
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #31 of 31
Whoa, necrobump!

As sheepish as I am to admit it, I had not one but two pairs of these over the years before I began my search for good headphones sometime in 2008. They're honestly not as bad as Head-Fi makes them out to be, but they definitely don't stand up to either of the headphones I currently use, nor any of the others I've auditioned/owned for a few weeks. Yes, they hurt like heck, and yes, they fall apart (hence having two pairs--the second was a gift to replace the first, and I couldn't refuse). Having two of them allowed me to replace the bits on the second one that broke (even worse build quality than the first) with ones from the first. I got lucky as different bits broke on each of them.

The funny thing about them is that, as they inevitably break and the headband wears out, the fit loosens and they become more "neutral" (not really) in signature. The second pair sounded like real fart cannons when I first put it on. Over five years later, they had morphed into a Grado-like (!) tonality, except nowhere near as good as a Grado in any other respect.

I will say one thing for them: their tonal balance never fatigued me, and you could reach insane volumes without pain. In this regard, I'm sure they achieved their purpose as DJ cans. As audiophile ones...uh, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back