Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #406 of 1,999
From my brief listen with demo sets on the same DSD files (preset) , mostly quite similar BUT A45 there is more clarity. The highs, details are more audible. For me it was enough for me to choose A45 over the heavily discounted A35 in my local store. Besides the better bluetooth support and ability to use as USB DAC. I would recommend for you guys to listen yourselves instead side by side both players.
Any issues ordering the US model from amazon US if i’m in europe?
Are there any differences in the A45 that I bought from Accessory Jack and that if I were to buy from Amazon in US.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #407 of 1,999
Yep, this is why I haven't shelled out for the higher end sony's nice though they are. As audiobooks are a good 50 percent of what I listen to having a good app for it is a must. If they add it in the near future I would be all over the zx300, otherwise as they say in Dragon's Den "I'm out".

My A10 hasn't crapped out yet but I have half a mind just to grab an A20 series before they totally disappear. Have you discovered any non-android "hifi" DAP that support this function yet? AFAIK the new Cowon Plenue J and R don't either.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #410 of 1,999
I just bought a new one from Sony Store Vietnam, this is mine :x

IMG_20171207_091444_848.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #413 of 1,999
Right anyone who owns a Sony NW A17 and is sitting on the fence about buying the A45 do yourself a favour and get it ..I just got my A45 and i did some comparisons first off the build quality beats the A17 hands down it has a solid nice build and slight heft to it and i love the buttons on the side ...The UI is so much better on the A45 and the screen resolution is better it surprised me how good the album art looked on the screen a nice contrast to the screen ....the touchscreen is nowhere on the level of a phone there is a nano second delay i can live with it although i have not checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade to rectify that ,
Now the sound quality.... first off what made a big difference is how louder the A45 sounds compared to the A17..when i compared both songs i had to up the volume on the A17 to match the A45..i will describe the sound as fuller sounding and more detailed than the A17 the bass on the A45 goes deeper with a nice low end similar to my ZX100 but the ZX100 is still better in that it has more definition ..The A17 bass is just mid bass which annoyed me i wish it went deeper the A45 remedies that ,also the treble is better extended on the A45 making it sound more airy and spacious the mids sounded the same to me ..Overall a nice dap that i throughly recommend it has good features nice long battery and it can drive my headphones comfortably ...I compared it to my cayin n3 also (god i have too many daps) the screen resolution is better on the A45 the bass is bigger and deeper and it has more attack or should i say more dynamic...The Cayin is a smooth sounding laid back dap with lots of detail and warmth but it does lack in battery life a bit of a pain for me but it sounds good and has loads of power to drive headphones...Bluetooth sounds better on the A45 its more energetic....i just discovered u cannot change the sound preferences over bluetooth with the A45 but i can live with that ....
Anyway not a bad DAP at all........ oh!! least i forget no ability to do podcasts but my phone can handle that i suppose ...................

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #414 of 1,999
Right anyone who owns a Sony NW A17 and is sitting on the fence about buying the A45 do yourself a favour and get it ..I just got my A45 and i did some comparisons first off the build quality beats the A17 hands down it has a solid nice build and slight heft to it and i love the buttons on the side ...The UI is so much better on the A45 and the screen resolution is better it surprised me how good the album art looked on the screen a nice contrast to the screen ....the touchscreen is nowhere on the level of a phone there is a nano second delay i can live with it although i have not checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade to rectify that ,
Now the sound quality.... first off what made a big difference is how louder the A45 sounds compared to the A17..when i compared both songs i had to up the volume on the A17 to match the A45..i will describe the sound as fuller sounding and more detailed than the A17 the bass on the A45 goes deeper with a nice low end similar to my ZX100 but the ZX100 is still better in that it has more definition ..The A17 bass is just mid bass which annoyed me i wish it went deeper the A45 remedies that ,also the treble is better extended on the A45 making it sound more airy and spacious the mids sounded the same to me ..Overall a nice dap that i throughly recommend it has good features nice long battery and it can drive my headphones comfortably ...I compared it to my cayin n3 also (god i have too many daps) the screen resolution is better on the A45 the bass is bigger and deeper and it has more attack or should i say more dynamic...The Cayin is a smooth sounding laid back dap with lots of detail and warmth but it does lack in battery life a bit of a pain for me but it sounds good and has loads of power to drive headphones...Bluetooth sounds better on the A45 its more energetic....i just discovered u cannot change the sound preferences over bluetooth with the A45 but i can live with that ....
Anyway not a bad DAP at all........ oh!! least i forget no ability to do podcasts but my phone can handle that i suppose ...................

Glad you like it, looks like I will pick one up next year. Given the power difference 10 mW into 16 ohm for the A17 vs 35mW into 16 ohm for A45 should be a nice bump. Although several people complained that the A35 at 35mW wasn't much louder than the A17 so maybe Sony tweaked the amplifier for the A40 series.

Did it come with firmware 1.10 that adds AptX HD support or do you need to update the firmware? Unfortunately sony.com does not have this firmware update yet but Sony UK and other Sony sites outside of North America do. Along with adding AptX HD support it is suppose to improve other functions as well. Another reason for me to wait until I can get it here next year here is to see feedback on firmware 1.10 and what improvements it adds.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #415 of 1,999
Glad you like it, looks like I will pick one up next year. Given the power difference 10 mW into 16 ohm for the A17 vs 35mW into 16 ohm for A45 should be a nice bump. Although several people complained that the A35 at 35mW wasn't much louder than the A17 so maybe Sony tweaked the amplifier for the A40 series.

Did it come with firmware 1.10 that adds AptX HD support or do you need to update the firmware? Unfortunately sony.com does not have this firmware update yet but Sony UK and other Sony sites outside of North America do. Along with adding AptX HD support it is suppose to improve other functions as well. Another reason for me to wait until I can get it here next year here is to see feedback on firmware 1.10 and what improvements it adds.
Just checked i am on software 1.00 so i need to go to the hongkong sony site and upgrade firmware...This player is not available in the uk right now so i bought it from accessory jack very good service from them i paid nothing in custom duties..

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #416 of 1,999
Just checked i am on software 1.00 so i need to go to the hongkong sony site and upgrade firmware...This player is not available in the uk right now so i bought it from accessory jack very good service from them i paid nothing in custom duties..

Sounds good, would love to know if you notice any differences besides AptX HD with the 1.10 update

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #417 of 1,999
Sounds good, would love to know if you notice any differences besides AptX HD with the 1.10 update
Only other thing i have noticed apart from APTX HD is that it now has a remote control settings and usb output for DSD.that i can see..
Doing more listening ...the Sony A45 is a full rich sounding player with good detail and great bass definitely better than the A17 which had a mid-bass hump and sounded thin....comparing again to the cayin ..bass is better on the Sony A45 but the Cayin has a more natural sound in the vocals..

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #418 of 1,999
Only other thing i have noticed apart from APTX HD is that it now has a remote control settings and usb output for DSD.that i can see..
Doing more listening ...the Sony A45 is a full rich sounding player with good detail and great bass definitely better than the A17 which had a mid-bass hump and sounded thin....comparing again to the cayin ..bass is better on the Sony A45 but the Cayin has a more natural sound in the vocals..

Okey you have me sold will be getting one for sure. I just noticed there is a seller on amazon.com that will ship to Canada but I think I will still wait until I can get one here.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #419 of 1,999
Okey you have me sold will be getting one for sure. I just noticed there is a seller on amazon.com that will ship to Canada but I think I will still wait until I can get one here.
It is not even released here in the uk ...another thing is that the transfer speed is fast and it handles album art better than the A17 overall a good upgrade sound wise and software ui

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back