Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #256 of 1,999
Is anyone debating a choice between the A40 and the ZX300?

The ZX300 is definitely piquing my interest a lot these days.

I'm wondering if it's a huge step up from the A40.. :thinking:

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #258 of 1,999

Yeah the MSRP for the ZX300 in Canada is $799.00 vs $299.00 for the A45 and since the only feature difference between the two is a balanced output I can't justify the difference. I think the value for your money drops considerably once you start getting into the ZX300 price range.

When I get the A45 I may spring for the new B&W PX wireless headphones as well. The PX's support AptX HD like the A45 will, have noise cancelling, 22 hours battery life, and they also have a 3.5 mm jack so they can be used wired as well. They are suppose to have amazing sound quality to boot and the A45 and PX headphones together will cost slightly less than a Zx300 by itself based on MSRP.

If you compare the A45 and ZX300 straight up the ZX300 wins for sure. But the A45 + $500 CDN vs the ZX300 that is a different story when I look at what the extra $500.00 can buy me.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #259 of 1,999
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #260 of 1,999
You may want to consider the new Beyers Aventho also
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/aventho-wireless-black-4219.html

Unfortunately I live in Canada so my selection is smaller in terms of what I can demo. There are several Bowers and Wilkins dealers here so I know I will be able to demo the PX's at some point. The Aventho do look really nice though but the only spec available on their site is the impedance at 32 ohms. The PX's have the same specs as my current B&W P5S2's so I should have no trouble driving them with the A45. At this point the PX's are more of a wish than a certainty with Christmas not to far away. I also want to see if B&W has any new wired headphones coming out. The P7's and P5S2's are no longer listed on their website. I suspect the PX's are replacing the P7's since they can be used wired or wireless. I am hoping we will see a P5 replacement with the same features as the PX but supra aural like the P5S2's and less expensive than the PX's..

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #261 of 1,999
Unfortunately I live in Canada so my selection is smaller in terms of what I can demo. There are several Bowers and Wilkins dealers here so I know I will be able to demo the PX's at some point. The Aventho do look really nice though but the only spec available on their site is the impedance at 32 ohms. The PX's have the same specs as my current B&W P5S2's so I should have no trouble driving them with the A45. At this point the PX's are more of a wish than a certainty with Christmas not to far away. I also want to see if B&W has any new wired headphones coming out. The P7's and P5S2's are no longer listed on their website. I suspect the PX's are replacing the P7's since they can be used wired or wireless. I am hoping we will see a P5 replacement with the same features as the PX but supra aural like the P5S2's and less expensive than the PX's..
Yes, you're right, the P7 have been discontinued, but you can still find them online, new or second-hand like these from another Canadian: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/...lkins-p7-over-ear-headphones-black/1304456587
Also, keep an eye on the Qualcomm Aptx HD page, which gets updated every week with new wireless products: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483 (this is where I found out about the Aventho some time ago).

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #262 of 1,999
Yes, you're right, the P7 have been discontinued, but you can still find them online, new or second-hand like these from another Canadian: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/...lkins-p7-over-ear-headphones-black/1304456587
Also, keep an eye on the Qualcomm Aptx HD page, which gets updated every week with new wireless products: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483 (this is where I found out about the Aventho some time ago).

I have also seen deals for the P7 used on amazon.ca as well but having the P5S2's I can't justify spending $400.00 on another pair of wired headphones that are so close to my P5's. I still love my P5's but something wireless with AptX-HD for traveling would be nice. I would like wireless in the same form factor as the P5's because they are smaller and more portable than the P7's and the new PX's. I sold Bowers and Wilkins speakers for a long time and love their sound and gravitated to their headphones when they came out. For sound quality and more importantly comfort I haven't found another headphone that can touch my P5's. I have a big head and ears so finding comfortable headphones is difficult and B&W's headphones fit larger heads really well.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #263 of 1,999
Can he A45 function as a DAC for PC (or phone) like the ZX300?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #265 of 1,999

I picked the ZX300, the balanced output blows the A40 series out of the water and makes out a no brainer. Even the SE output sounds radically better on the ZX300 and has high gain support.

The A40 is nice because it's very light, compact and affordable, but is not in the same league as any walkman from the ZX series in terms of sound quality, so unless you are looking at running headphones through LDAC/APTX or the walkman port (like the MDR-1ADAC), you will not reach the same quality of output. That's not to say the A40 is bad, it certainly is better than a lot of competitors such as the iPod.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #267 of 1,999
I picked the ZX300, the balanced output blows the A40 series out of the water and makes out a no brainer. Even the SE output sounds radically better on the ZX300 and has high gain support.

The A40 is nice because it's very light, compact and affordable, but is not in the same league as any walkman from the ZX series in terms of sound quality, so unless you are looking at running headphones through LDAC/APTX or the walkman port (like the MDR-1ADAC), you will not reach the same quality of output. That's not to say the A40 is bad, it certainly is better than a lot of competitors such as the iPod.

I hope you enjoy your ZX300

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #268 of 1,999
Hi there, I’m new to the forum because I just recently bought the NW-A47 from Amazon Japan and was shocked to see there’s no English option. I’ve asked my Japanese friends as well and they confirmed you can’t change the language. Has anyone tried to install an English firmware update to the player to see if that works?

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #269 of 1,999
Hi there, I’m new to the forum because I just recently bought the NW-A47 from Amazon Japan and was shocked to see there’s no English option. I’ve asked my Japanese friends as well and they confirmed you can’t change the language. Has anyone tried to install an English firmware update to the player to see if that works?
You need to either purchase the tourist version (from Sony ginza store or Yodobashi Akiba's 3rd floor tax free counter) or use the destination tool (assuming it's compatible, I don't think they added support yet) and set the destination to "E".

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #270 of 1,999
You need to either purchase the tourist version (from Sony ginza store or Yodobashi Akiba's 3rd floor tax free counter) or use the destination tool (assuming it's compatible, I don't think they added support yet) and set the destination to "E".

Thanks for the tip! I'm fairly new to all of this so I wasn't aware of region specific players and what-not. I will probably wait for someone to confirm that the destination tool works with the new NW-A40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back